Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found the Saratoga Sunroof guy. Any interest in NEW Saratogas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can get permission to use the design or something if he doesn't want to go into production himself. Have someone else do the manufactoring.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
1500? What?

For that much im sure I can coax the Air-tite window installer into making me one for much much less.

Seriously. Has anyone ever thought of what it would really cost to make one? Its just glass with some damn hinges on the side.

Id trial and error my *** a few saratoga tops for 1500.
+1
Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, 500 would be about the limit for me. Love the look, and in lexan, it would double as a weight saving upgrade.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

$500 sounds about right. It's something I might grab - on a whim like someone said up-thread.

Let's face it, if you're patient, you can find a decent NA at $1,500. It'll need a lot of TLC and some $$$, but like others, I can't see more than $500 for a non-essential.

I thought all the original tooling, etc., were bulldozed over in a lot in NJ or NY... I remember reading here on Rennlist that someone had tracked the company down there.

There was also some guy whose then-girlfriend's parents owned some kind of automotive glass company.... was looking into remanufacture but then disappeared. they said the glass was fairly easy despite the curves; hard/expensive part was the hardware and fittings - attaching the glass to it, etc.

I don't know if there is enough demand to make it worthwhile - the higher the price, the lower the demand. You may get a few hundred people at $500, but I suspect that even if you got 1,000 people to put in deposits, it's not enough to cover the cost of tooling up and enough profit for the time invested.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

So was the ex-wife's company that "Toyz for your Toy" company that popped up a couple years back and never came thru with the goods?

No one should get too excited about this yet because this guy may have no rights to the product.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I think they should be $300. But I'm poor. "Under $1000" is a no go for ALOT of people out there.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alordofchaos

There was also some guy whose then-girlfriend's parents owned some kind of automotive glass company.... was looking into remanufacture but then disappeared. they said the glass was fairly easy despite the curves; hard/expensive part was the hardware and fittings - attaching the glass to it, etc.
That was me . It was going to be more of a one off custom part with the possibility of a few extras being made. I thought about the hardware needed and figuring out how to attach it to the glass..didnt want to have a glass roof flying off my car at 65mph. Figure it was not worth experimenting on.

Regarding the price of these things. No doubt the guy is going to want to make something for the trouble of remaking these, but hes gotta understand noone is going to want to spend around 1/3 or 1/4 the purchase price of there cars (8v n/a owners) on a glass roof! Honestly i have a feeling its going to be quiet a bit more than $500 and if it does end up happening, hes going to want a few people paid in full.

And as i mentioned, i dont think the problem is going to be making the glass portion, its going to be finding a place to supply all the hardware needed for the mounting points.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:41 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

See if you can get permission to use the design or something if he doesn't want to go into production himself.
+1

I think it would be cheaper if one of the companies that already is set up to make glass sunroofs makes it. There are the companies that supply the OEMs, and I know there used to be a company that sold generic sunroofs (buy the kit, cut your roof, install kit)
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

I found the design patent, but we still have no idea of the terms of the agreement between him and the exwife.

United States Patent 4,220,368
Ferrigan September 2, 1980

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removable plastic roof panel

Abstract
A transparent plastic panel to replace the conventional metal roof panel removably received by attachment latches in the sun roof opening of a motor vehicle is held in place by fore and aft over center latches designed to mate with the sockets provided by the auto manufacturer for lever operated means on his metal roof panel. In addition to the fore and aft attachment latches on the plastic roof panel a metal edge trim is provided peripherally of the plastic panel, and a seal is mounted to this edge trim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventors: Ferrigan; Paul J. (Bolton Landing, NY)
Assignee: Saratoga Sunroof Corporation (Clifton Park, NY)

Appl. No.: 05/909,508
Filed: May 25, 1978

Current U.S. Class: 296/215 ; 296/218; 296/224; 49/465
Current International Class: B60J 7/16 (20060101); B60J 7/08 (20060101); B60J 007/00 ()
Field of Search: 296/137B,137H 49/465

References Cited [Referenced By]

U.S. Patent Documents

3610681 October 1971 Trenkler
3972558 August 1976 Horn
4113303 September 1978 Yench
4115955 September 1978 Aldrich

Primary Examiner: Love; John J.
Assistant Examiner: Stack; Norman L.
Attorney, Agent or Firm: McCormick, Paulding & Huber

Claims

I claim:

1. A removable light weight plastic panel for the roof of a motor vehicle, which vehicle has a roof with a generally rectangular opening for receiving a rigid roof panel and a formed metal rain trench extending peripherally around said rectangular roof opening, said plastic panel comprising:

(a) a thin transparent sheet formed to substantially the same contour as the rigid roof panel, and equipped with,

(b) identical pairs of attachment means adjacent the front and rear sides of said sheet and mounted on the inside surface of said transparent sheet and adapted for engagement with the recesses provided in the headliner of the vehicle at the front and rear edges respectively of the opening for securing the rigid roof panel, and said recesses receiving said attachment means to hold said transparent sheet,

(c) a metal edge trim on the periphery of said plastic sheet, said trim having a C-shaped cross section to receive said plastic sheet, and

(d) a seal extending peripherally around said plastic sheet, said peripherally extending metal edge trim having an inwardly open slot for receiving a rib on said seal to support said seal so that its free depending portion fits into the metal rain trench in the vehicle.

2. The combination defined by claim 1 wherein said attachment means comprises a depending post secured to the inside surface of said plastic panel, a over center latch secured to said post, said latch having a arm for engagement with said recesses provided in the headliner of the vehicle.

3. The combination defined by claim 2 wherein said arm of the over center latch having means for adjusting the engagement of the said arm with the said recesses provided in the headliner of the vehicle.

4. The combination defined by claim 1 wherein said transparent plastic removable roof panel is fabricated from a thermoplastic material such as acrylic or polycarbonate, and said seal is fabricated from an elastomeric material.

Description

SUMMARY OF INVENTON

This invention relates generally to removable plastic roof panels for motor vehicles, and deals more particularly with a relatively thin acrylic or polycarbonate plastic panel to replace the relatively rigid metal panel normally provided by the vehicle manufacturer for a rectangular sun roof opening in the vehicle.

The chief aim of the present invention is to provide a readily removable transparent plastic roof panel, with fittings which do not require design changes to, or the permanent attachment of, socket defining means to the vehicle's sun roof opening, the rain trench, or the vehicle headliner.

In motor vehicles equipped with a removable rigid metal roof panel, of the type which is adapted to be replaced by a plastic transparent roof panel, the stamped metal roof of the vehicle is so formed around the sun roof opening as to define a rain trough or trench. The vehicle headliner, that is the ceiling upholstery inside the vehicle, is generally formed of plastic to fit snugly to the underside of this rain trench. The headliner is designed by the manufacturer to define sockets for receiving the conventional fore and aft attachment means provided for this purpose on the conventional rigid metal roof panel. The plastic roof panel of the present invention also has fore and aft attachment means which mate with these sockets defined in the headliner, and in addition, are adjustable to hold the relatively flexible and resilient plastic roof panel in place.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

FIG. 1 is a perspective view showing the relevant portion of a motor vehicle of the type having a removable rigid factory installed roof panel, and more particularly FIG. 1 shows a Porsche 924 with a sun roof opening of the type adapted to be fitted with an improved transparent plastic roof panel of the present invention.

FIG. 2 is a bottom view of the plastic roof panel illustrating in the fore and aft attachment means.

FIG. 3 is a sectional view taken on the line 3--3 of FIG. 1 and illustrating the fore attachment means.

FIG. 4 is a sectional view taken generally on the line 4--4 of FIG. 2, but drawn to a larger scale.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

Turning now to the drawing in greater detail, FIG. 1 shows a motor vehicle of the type generally provided with a sun roof opening 10, the vehicle illustrated being a Porsche 924 of the type imported into the United States by Volkswagon of Germany. The particular type of vehicle is shown for purposes of illustration only, but it is a feature of the present invention that the factory supplied rigid metal roof panel is adapted to be replaced by a transparent plastic panel which not only serves as a window, but which is lighter in weight and more resilient than the relatively rigid metal roof panel supplied by the manufacturer.

FIG. 3 illustrates the sun roof opening 10 mentioned previously, the metal roof 12 of the vehicle being illustrated in FIG. 3 in vertical section. As shown in this view the metal roof 12 includes a peripherally extending rain trough or trench 14 formed integrally in the roof 12, and defining a generally upwardly open U-shaped well to receive a seal or the like, such seal being typically provided in the rigid metal roof panel supplied by the automobile manufacturer (not shown).

Still with reference to the conventional portion of the vehicle as provided by the automobile manufacturer, FIG. 3 illustrates, at 16b, socket defining recesses adapted to receive attachment means (not shown) associated with the conventional rigid metal roof panel (not shown) provided by the automobile manufacturer.

Turning now to a more detailed description of the plastic roof panel illustrated in FIG. 2, the panel itself comprises a relatively thin transparent plastic material, such as acrylic or polycarbonate or the equivalent, to provide the optical qualities desired in a sun roof type window. The panel 26 is of constant thickness as best shwn in FIG. 3 throughout its expanse and preferably includes an elastomeric seal member 28 extending peripherally around the roof panel as best shown in FIG. 2. The seal 28 is adapted to be received in the upwardly open rain trench 14. This seal is preferably secured to a metal edge trim at the periphery of the plastic roof panel 26 as best shown in FIG. 4.

The fore and aft attachment means 20 are illustrated in some detail in FIG. 3. The attachment means 20 comprises a depending plastic post 30 cemented to the underside of the plastic roof panel 26. An over center latch includes a bracket 32 secured to the post 30 by screws 34, 34. The bracket 32 receives a pair of pivot pins 36 and 38 for an arm 40 and link 42. One of the ends of the link 42 is pivoted at 38, and the other end of the link is pivoted at 43 to a lever 44. The lever 44 is also pivotally mounted at 45, to the arm 40 to provide a three bar over center latch geometry.

The arm 40 has a free end which includes an adjustable stop means 46 for engaging the recess 16b. In the latched position the attachment means 20 is provided with pivot 43 above a line between the pivots 45 and 38.

Finally, I also provide a metal edge trim 60 peripherally of the plastic panel. A C-shaped upper channel receives the plastic panel, and this trim 60 is of extruded aluminum to also have a downwardly open channel for receiving the elastomeric seal 28 as best shown in FIG. 4.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I just realized I have a customer who does Acrylic and Lexan fabrication. I just e-mailed him to see if he'd be able to manufactur something like this. He would probably need a steel sunroof to use as a template. If anyone is willing to provide a metal sunroof, I'll pay for the shipping.

I should hear back from him today.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by cie_lab
Guys,

I just realized I have a customer who does Acrylic and Lexan fabrication. I just e-mailed him to see if he'd be able to manufactur something like this. He would probably need a steel sunroof to use as a template. If anyone is willing to provide a metal sunroof, I'll pay for the shipping.

That would be difficult to do considering the 924/944/968 roof panels are fiberglass.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

Regarding the price of these things. No doubt the guy is going to want to make something for the trouble of remaking these, but hes gotta understand no one is going to want to spend around 1/3 or 1/4 the purchase price of there cars (8v n/a owners) on a glass roof! Honestly i have a feeling its going to be quiet a bit more than $500 and if it does end up happening, hes going to want a few people paid in full.

I agree. I just could not see spending that much on a $2500 car on a part that really does not do anything other than "I got one". Even on a nice 951 I think the money would be better spent on maintenance or go fast goodies.
Then again I really don't see what the big deal is about these things anyway.

Now, a CF panel that saves weight and lowers the CG would be something I am interested in.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Todd157k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cie_lab
Guys,

If your guy can just make the basic panel, then he could sell it and not infringe on the patent above. Each purchaser would have to drill his own holes and mount his own hardware. As a basic panel, it would not qualify as a "roof".
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 AM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd157k
If your guy can just make the basic panel, then he could sell it and not infringe on the patent above. Each purchaser would have to drill his own holes and mount his own hardware. As a basic panel, it would not qualify as a "roof".
I thought patents had a 20 year life span?
after that they are open market...
otherwise we would still be paying some descendant of whomever held the patent on the internal combustion engine.... That Sucker would be richer than Bill Gates...
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
That would be difficult to do considering the 924/944/968 roof panels are fiberglass.
ahhh..my bad. Thought they were steel.

I heard back from the guy. He 'recommends' Acrylic as it's more scratch resistent.

I say 'recommends' as his first suggestion was to use glass.

duh

Quick Reply: I found the Saratoga Sunroof guy. Any interest in NEW Saratogas?