Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning grounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey not sure about your mystery connectors (some accessory you don't have?j but those ground points look like they would appear as two GPs on a diagram, just happen to have multiple wires attached on a pair of bolts
Old 02-25-2019, 01:24 PM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Hey not sure about your mystery connectors (some accessory you don't have?j but those ground points look like they would appear as two GPs on a diagram, just happen to have multiple wires attached on a pair of bolts
Cool... thanks will give them a clean and maybe also see more about where they all go :P
Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
1933beer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gas gauge under reading is the cause of old age. I have seen where someone removed and cleaned the unit in the tank and it fixed it. I have the same issue and dont worry about it. As for ground cleaning it is very important. Flacks garage has a nice how to for grounds. Basically if your car is drained after letting it sit for a few weeks they need cleaned. In the how to it gives what a good reading should be. If it is more clean a ground on the diagram check reading when you fine a bad one you will see the drop on the gauge.i have had my car nearly 11 years now and have cleaned all once and some twice.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:23 AM
SecaBlue
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SecaBlue

Meanwhile though, in an attempt to rectify my fuel gauge under-reading when full, and also voltmeter reading, I went under the dash and found 4x ground points... thought there were only two?

I managed to crawl under the dash and clean the grounds in the centre of picture above - could not get to the ones on the right... tried but they are in a very awkward location to get to! Upside down with head against the brake, dropped the ratchet on my face twice before I could even get a turn on one of the bolts :P considering the other grounds under there were not so bad, I will leave the other two.

So also went ahead and cleaned the ground in the boot, the one next to the battery, and the two each side of the engine bay just rear of the suspension strut mount... pictured :

wondering which ones these are in the diagram posted previously in the thread?

So now I have cleaned 9 grounds (since there were two next to each other under the dash, which may just be one with redundancy)... could not find any more. Voltmeter is still reading 2v lower than DMM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning grounds