Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I screw up ? (steering gear allignment).

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did I screw up ? (steering gear allignment).

I have removed my crossmember / steering rack assembly as one unit to get to the oil pan gasket / oil pump.

Anyways when removing the steering rack input shaft from the steering linkage I made a whiteout mark on the clamping nut and alligned that clamping nut with a section fo the steering rack input shaft but not the actuall moving input shaft but the metal around it.

so now I don't know if it's possilbe for the input shaft to have moved after removing it so the mark I made on the body would not be relevant anymore.

also before removing it I noticed that my steering wheel was straight I believe and now my steering wheel looks pretty crooked......

all I know to guid me is that the clamping nut was alligned with the whiteout mark I made on th emetal next to the input shaft on the steering rack.

am I screwed? what can I do?

if I connect it totally wrong will the crossmember / steering rack assembly have to come out again?

also I noticed since putting my car on jackstands and removing the front wheels that the steering wheel is locked up and barely move left / right

so I'm kind of confused as to how the steering wheel got crooked.... it's still locked up.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:21 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the wheel was originally straight when you put the car up in the air it would be able to turn a little bit till it turned enough to lock the wheel. To unlock it you just have to put the key back in the ignition and turn to the first notch. While you're sitting there take the key back out and try turning the wheel, and you'll see how much it can move before locking.

Someone feel free to correct me on this, but I don't see what the issue is with lining up the steering shaft? I didn't mark mine as I disconnected it, and was spinning the steering wheel around and around while bored in my car, so there is no way it is all lined up correctly. Can't I just connect the steering shaft back up to the rack with the steering wheel and rack straight, or if that is to hard reconnect the shaft to the rack and then recenter the wheel inside the car?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

What I don't understand is why can't you just reattach the shaft, set the wheels straight forward then loosen the 24mm bolt on the steering wheel and straighten the wheel.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Yeah, thats what I was asking, just with a lot more words.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:33 AM
hpservertech
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea you can do that.

Keep in mind that the shaft is keyed so that the bolt can go in.

You need to have the car re-aligned after you get done with the oil pan gasket anyway so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

ok cool so I can just adjust the steering wheel if the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is crooked.

haven't tried unlocking the steering wheel yet that's what I thought it was but wasn't sure.

thanks for the info.

I'll definately get the allignment checked when it's all done.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 AM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

this how to tells how to use the bolt to center the rack, then adjust the wheel as necessary: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-924-931-944-951-968/203297-944-power-to-manual-steering-rack-swap.html

Quick Reply: Did I screw up ? (steering gear allignment).