Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/S2 Valve Spring Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/S2 Valve Spring Compressor

So, I need to make a valve spring compressor for my car because I have a valve spring to install. Well, some of you may know just how F'd up the 16V heads are on their design, and not being able to use really any generic tool on them. With that being said, I searched around some for either the Porsche tool, or home made ones. I found a home made one made out of the angle iron that garage doors are hung with...didn't seem like it would be sturdy enough. I then looked in my shop manuals, and sure enough...Porsche #9242 is the factory spring compressor. It Locks up under the tappet/ lifter cylinders of the head, allowing you to push down the spring. Easy design, and even easier to replicate. I opened up Solidworks, took a few quick measurements and began to make my piece. I wanted to make sure I would have enough adjustment points so I could get a proper angle on the bar to push down on.

Today, I cut it all out, sanded it down, drilled some holes, then bolted her up. Haven't tryed it out yet as I don't have the cams out currently, but probably this weekend or next I should be able to report on how it works. I still have to have my buddy weld a nut or the washer pictured on to the end to work as my piece to go around the spring retainer. I plan to wrap that in duct tape or something, so as to not mar or scratch the retainer or spring. Cost? About 10 bucks for some steel, 2 bucks for hardware...and about 20 flippin bucks in cut off wheels for my dremel! Lesson learned on that one...buy super huge like metal brake or something. I still have some fine trimming to do on the piece that locks to the head so it will be a tight fit in there, but she's basically done.

I posted so some of you will have a better understanding of what to make and go off of. The piece that will compress the spring is longer, because when the bar is angled up so you can push down, this pulls that higher up then the piece that locks onto the head...thus meaning for both peices to be locked on and pressing down they had to be horizontal, and one had to be longer. The adjustment holes are used for different valves on the head, and the closer the middle piece is moved in, the higher the bar goes to push down...farther out, then the bar is shorter...you get the point!
Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation last year...I needed to replace two broken intake valve springs and also a cracked intake camshaft ( my fault )..Here's what I came up with

You're on the right track..I also couldnl't find a spring compressor for my "S" anywhere. You're going to need an extention on that handle...get yourself a piece of pipe for some leverage...

Quick Reply: S/S2 Valve Spring Compressor