Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
rop3
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 944 Stereo Upgrade

Anyone have experience with speaker sound sys upgrades. Found a good post detailing component speaker replacement.

Have a 91 944 cab with aftermarket rectangular in the doors, would like 3 way components similar to the factory system in my 89 944T.

One site mentions you can put a 6 ½ in the door due to smaller windows depth restriction. Would need to buy new door panels due to the existing holes? Easier to buy the covers and armrest of the 10 speaker system and install mid and sub in their and tweeter above?

For rears install mid and 6.5 sub in quarters. Has anyone done a sub enclosure over the spare tire?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 516 Posts

You can put a shallow 6-1/2 in the door if you want but you'll need to cut some metal. You'd also need to cut the door panel and get a custom grille.

And yes, lots of people put subs in the spare.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM
onlyflash944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subwoofer options are practically endless. It just depends on how much room you're willing to give up. In my opnion, the best way to install a custom woofer setup, is to use a fiberglass box. I've done several of these, and materials are about twice as expensive as your standard 3/4" mdf box. There are several websites out there for diy fiberglass boxes. It's really not as hard as you might think. Fiberglass conforms to anything you want, that way you make the best use of the space in your 'trunk'.

On the other speakers, if there is a set you really want to use, and they are too deep, you can always make a spacer out of mdf. I've done this before with some of my cars, then you just paint it accordingly and use one of the speaker grills, stock or the one what came with the set of speakers.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
rop3
Pro

I was thinking it might be best to use the door storage as you can have 3 seperates in each door. My cab has 4 small subs mounted in the trunk pass thru behind the rear seat backs. But there smaller diameter the front of the car sounds high little mid range and low.

What would I need to purchase from the dealer, door handles, grill and speker encloures? also tweeter grill and mounting hardware. Then leave the door speakers in place.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
You can put a shallow 6-1/2 in the door if you want but you'll need to cut some metal. You'd also need to cut the door panel and get a custom grille.

And yes, lots of people put subs in the spare.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:25 PM
rop3
Pro

I have 4 small ones firing thru the rear seats when their down. But say for a 10 or 12" this would have to go in the spare well?

Would you lose the spare or raise the carpet? The cabrio has a trunk lid same setup but shallow from lid to carpet.

Originally Posted by onlyflash944
Subwoofer options are practically endless. It just depends on how much room you're willing to give up. In my opnion, the best way to install a custom woofer setup, is to use a fiberglass box. I've done several of these, and materials are about twice as expensive as your standard 3/4" mdf box. There are several websites out there for diy fiberglass boxes. It's really not as hard as you might think. Fiberglass conforms to anything you want, that way you make the best use of the space in your 'trunk'.

On the other speakers, if there is a set you really want to use, and they are too deep, you can always make a spacer out of mdf. I've done this before with some of my cars, then you just paint it accordingly and use one of the speaker grills, stock or the one what came with the set of speakers.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 AM
onlyflash944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm talking mostly about hatches. I'm also talking about firing the sub directly into the rear window, like maybe an inch clearance between the excursion limit of the cone and the window. I don't know jack about the cabrios. With fiberglass enclosures, the sky is pretty much the limit.

Quick Reply: 944 Stereo Upgrade