Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown clutch master and/or clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown clutch master and/or clutch slave cylinder

So I surely have a blown clutch master or clutch slave cylinder, not sure which, as I am unfortunately not the do-it-yourself mechanic type.

I have been referred to a place in North Falmouth Mass. called Sports Imports, has anyone else have experience with them? I was referred by a very reliable source, but it never hurts to get more info...

My big question is whether or not to order the parts myself, and whether or not to do both the slave cylinder and the master cylinder at the same time? What's the price for one or the other alone, and what's the price for both at the same time?

Time is an issue for me (these things always happen at the best of times). I plan on getting the car to the shop tomorrow (Monday) and I will need it in a week.

Oh, also, what is the general consensus on how far I can make it on a close-to-gone clutch master or clutch slave cylinder. As of now, the first half of depressing the clutch gives no response...if that helps.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge-- but that's why you guys are here!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:12 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Can't help you on the shop but make sure they will let you bring your own parts. Many shops are reluctant to warranty their work unless they know the source for the parts. Some shops won't even install rebuilt parts like the clutch MC and slave; they have arrangements and buy from a dealer. Paragon's website will give you the prices but parts would be about $160 for both. You might want to check/replace the line connecting the two as they can leak with age. If you baby it I'm sure you can get to a shop unless the pedal is not returning on it's own anymore. If all clutch operation is gone, have it towed unless you are good at rev matching and grinding metal.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

on a relatively level surface you can start the car in 1st gear or reverse. Then, like Kuhl said, you'll just need to be good at matching those RPMs and not mind the sound of your gearbox shaving off 1000 miles of life.

Oh, you should replace both parts at the same time.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys, it's definitely appreciated. I talked to some people who know the shop, apparently they're not too bad on parts, so i'll let them order parts. As far as getting to the shop, i think it may have enough life left in it to make it...although it is an hour a half drive but 95% highway...

..so in case i do get stuck half way, is it easy to learn how to learn rev matching, because I've never even tried
Old 05-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I recently had a shop do mine and the charged me about $125 a piece. The overall total was $825. Get them for $80 each at paragon-products.com. I would not recommend driving the car to the shop because when they fail the clutch pedal sticks in.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah my shop gave me a 10% discount and a 1 year 12,000 miles warranty.

I was thinking about rev matching but my clutch is doesn't much life at all left.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

You watch what speed you are driving at, and when you want to shift you pull the car out of gear, let the engine speed drop the the speed the wheels are spinning at for that gear (40 MPH in 4th gear is about 2000RPM for example) and grind it into gear.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
David Boutelle
Instructor

if you can afford to do the master and slave than do so . in most cases you do not save on parts if you get them your self becouse a shop gets say 25% off list and your paying list how do you save ? let me put it this way . say a part cost list 100 dollars me as a shop owner gets it for 75. dollars and sells it to you for the 100. dollars what did you save ? and if it fails down the road you get to pay for the hole job again were if the shop gets the part its on them . and how about you getting the wrong part or a part that is not needeed come to think of it ,it could be a rusted line that goes from the master to the slave too ?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

more like if it costs 100 they pay 75 and sell it to you for 125
Old 05-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

I think I am just going to let them order the parts. I'll definitely be keen to see the estimate for parts and labor separate, now that I have some good ideas on cost. If their prices are way high, maybe I'll suck up the extra time it will take for me to order the parts and deal without the car for an extra while longer. As of now though, time is of the essence, and they can get the right parts quicker than I.

I'm headed down there tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks a lot for the info, I'm learning slowly...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 AM
hpservertech
Pro

Do both the master & slave...will regret it later when the one you dont do fails.

Parts should be $160 or less. Labor should be too much. Honestly couldn't see it more then 4 hours. Remove the starter to get to one of them, other is one is easy too. then just need to bleed the system. Figure in $10 for fluid. If they say more then 4 hours I would do it yourself. The hardest part is bleeding the system.

I plan on ordering mine on the 15th and doing it myself since I have the starter out right now.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:55 AM
Daily944
Racer

Having just completed doing the master/slave on my S2 today. It's pretty easy and strait forward, the hardest part is bleeding the system.

I paid $65 for the master, and $50ish for the slave.

My bleeding method is putting the rear end in the air to keep the front of the brake fluid tank full and not sucking any air. A power bleeders saves tons of time too. I found a nifty little bleeder at Harbor Freight(tool shop) for $20 bucks.. best 20 I ever spent.

First time I did the job on my NA is took about 4 1/2 hours. This time it took 2. It's entirely too easy to pay someone else to do it.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Jaay87S
Instructor

Haha, entirely too easy for someone with even a little bit of mechanical experience-- which is far from me.

Even if I did have the experience, I have no tools, and I'm currently at school for another 2 weeks...although if I could save 200 by doing it myself in 2 weeks, I would.

I know that someone with little to no mechanical knowledge probably should not own one of these cars, but i'm fortunate enough to have a friend with a lot of car knowledge-- especially on the 944's. He's out of town for a a couple months, so i'm temporarily left to fend for myself...spoiled, i know.

As far fetched as it may be...If anyone is feeling real generous and wants to teach me to do it and has the tools and space available, I'm more than willing to supply all the beer and pizza you can eat and drink. I'm north or Providence now, and will be home on the Cape in two weeks...but let me warn you, my knowledge is pretty sad at this point.

Thanks again for the help guys...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 AM
hpservertech
Pro

If you can turn a wrench you can do it. Although it will require lifting up the front of the car, so jack & stands are needed. Other then that it's just ratchets & sockets. At least you know your limits. That's a good thing.

If you need to take it and have it done it's not a bad thing. Gotta do whatca gotta do right?

Quick Reply: Blown clutch master and/or clutch slave cylinder