Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M474 Koni Front Struts, someone please enlighten me....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question M474 Koni Front Struts, someone please enlighten me....

Alright earlier I posted about a set of factory 951 koni front struts trying to figure out what they were. After talking to Paragon Products it appears that they are option M474 koni's which seem to be rebuildable and paragon sells the inserts. Well I pulled them out today and was checking them out and it appears someone has worked on them before. It looks like someone has removed the insert at some point since there are marks in the insert top and it appears that they cut the top 5mm or so off the strut housing because the other strut still had the metal rim left on it. Will someone please enlighten me about these struts.... is it normal to have to cut the very top edge off the strut housing or did someone ruin these? It looks like the insert body is threaded and thats what hold them in. Any info on this would be great because I am trying to decide if I should spend the money on them to get new inserts.
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2007, 01:29 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong, but as far as I know those struts are only rebuildable by Koni. You can get Koni inserts from paragon but the body is not threaded. The koni inserts from paragon requires you to drill a hole in the bottom of the strut and use a bolt to secure it to the original strut body. I have the M474 option on my car too and you can no longer get them from the dealer. The M474 Konis are available but are very expensive now since they are no longer produced and are only available as rebuilt by koni I believe.

Eon S.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:52 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87_944s
I may be wrong, but as far as I know those struts are only rebuildable by Koni. You can get Koni inserts from paragon but the body is not threaded. The koni inserts from paragon requires you to drill a hole in the bottom of the strut and use a bolt to secure it to the original strut body. I have the M474 option on my car too and you can no longer get them from the dealer. The M474 Konis are available but are very expensive now since they are no longer produced and are only available as rebuilt by koni I believe.

Eon S.
The inserts you are talking about are for converting sachs sealed struts to a koni. I was on the phone with paragon for a good bit talking about the differences. As he said the koni inserts in which you cut up sachs style housings is a "kit" however, they sell a different insert made to rebuild M474 and M030 struts.

Quick Reply: M474 Koni Front Struts, someone please enlighten me....