Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump help

So I'm going online to order a new (refurbished) water pump for my 1987 944 non-turbo, and I'm a little puzzled by the different types that are out there. Would someone be good enough to let me know exactly what sort I need? I'd hate to get the wrong one.

Here, for example, there are lots listed. Mine's an automatic if it makes a difference. And what do they mean by kit #? Do they mean the mounting kit? I only see one listed on their site.

Or on Paragon, their description for the water pump says,

If your car is not already equipped with updated guard rail and roller, use PP944.106.021.KT
How do I know if it's got an updated guard rail and roller?

Halp!
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Make sure you pressure test the system before getting all the belts put back on... especially if you get a rebuilt one.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

But which one fits my car?
Old 04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

From Clarks Garage:

" There are two different styles of water pumps used on the 924S and 944 (including Turbos). The new style coolant pump has a guard rail for the timing belt an a larger idler roller (46.2 mm vs. 32.0 mm). The new style was installed on all cars produced after July 1986. I recommend installing the new style pump when replacing the water pump. For cars which previously did not have the new style pump installed, this requires modifying the rear timing cover and purchasing a belt guard and larger idler roller. Some of the new style pumps will come with the belt guard already installed so ask your parts supplier when ordering. The groove for the thermostat snap ring has also been moved. Previously, it was 4.5 mm from the sealing surface and is now at 7 mm. This requires the use of a new thermostat and spacer.

On Turbocharged cars, there is a nozzle on the water pump which supplies cooling water to the turbocharger bearing housing. On Normally Aspirated cars the nozzle is a block-off plate. The block-off plate / nozzle is sealed to the water pump by an o-ring which should be replaced when the new pump is installed. On some pumps, the block-off plate / nozzle is mounted using a 6 mm stud and nut and a 6 mm x 20 mm bolt. However, most of the new pumps come with two bolt holes. This requires transferring the 6 mm stud from the old pump to the new one or purchasing another 6 mm x 20 mm bolt."
Old 04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Ooo ... sounds a bit more complicated than I thought!

How about this kit? Would that do 'er?

Last edited by Mamooguy; 04-14-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes this kit will do the job. It has almost everthing you need in there which includes all of the oil seals for the front of the engine and the oil cooler seals. Most people plan to do the oil seals when doing a water pump since they become accessible when the rear belt cover is removed. Since your car is an '87 it should already have the newer style pump and thus not need any modification to the rear belt cover. When doing the oil seals you may find that they have carved a groove in the part that the seal lip rides on. If so, new seals will leak again soon after the job is done. These pieces are replaceable. The one at the crankshaft is called the oil pump drive sleeve http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...oilsystem-9442
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...gineblock-9442
A new set of water pump bolts might not be a bad idea either... http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...ingsystem-9442

I assume you have the proper tools to tension the timing and B/S belts. If not, search this forum for plenty of talk about this subject.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Ah, great stuff, thanks! Just what I needed. Though I'm a little bummed the parts are so unCheap.

Anyway, rest assured, I won't be touching the belts without a proper tensioner.

Thanks a bunch, man!
Old 04-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

You're welcome... Yes parts tend to be more expensive on these cars but if you do the work yourself you still come out ahead compared to people who bring their Toyotas in to have a mechanic do this work. And you know it gets done right. That's how I look at it anyhow. Where are you located? There might be some other Rennlisters close by who could give you some help.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

I'm in Toronto, and I'm hoping to take care of my own repairs as much as possible. I'm a bit intimidated by the water pump, though ... seems a bit heavy-duty to me. Still, I'm willing to give it a shot.

I agree with the repairs issue, by the way. I was talking to a charming young lady the other day (and wasn't she mighty impressed that I owned a Porsche!) who sighed that she routinely spent hundreds of dollars a year to keep her "new" (2003) Toyota on the road. A point well taken.

And anyway, presumably I'll have much less to worry about once the timing belt and water pump are taken care of.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

May I suggest you read up on the procedure in Clark's garage and you might want to get a copy of the Haynes 944 manual. For $20 (roughly) it gives you a good step by step with photos on getting to the water pump. Just take your time when doing it and post any questions here..... From what I've read, Arnnworx gives good instructions on tensioning the belts with the tools he sells.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Good advice. Actually I'm a bit reluctant to do it myself because I don't have a garage of my own, just a space in a poorly-lit underground parking lot. Might be smarter to have someone else do it for me. We'll see. Thanks for all the advice, though. I love this place!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:35 AM
GhostHacker
Advanced

I don't mean to hijack... or maybe I do but after I replaced my water pump I think it started leaking. its hard to tell cause I wasn't able to run it more than a min or so and its been raining alot here. ( I did it in my driveway) What are you suppose to tourqe the pump to, and is there any sealant I could use on the gasket even though my shop said don't use anything on aluminum.

Quick Reply: Water pump help