Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if I glue the sunroof shut?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Duct tape will at least protect the interior until you get the roof figured out.
I was kidding about the duct tape..... I'd bee to embarassed to drive around with duct tape on the roof. Also I'm pretty sure duct tape is going to rip your paint right off when you go to remove it.

the leaks have already trashed my interior, lot of the cardboard panels are sagging, roof vinyl ripped and there was a mouldy smell in the car.

right now I cover my car when it's parked outside and leave the window rolled down so it airs out.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

I would have gotten a wide roll of electrical friction tape to use before I'd let the interior get ruined.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the water is coming down on the back seat? Are you positive that the sunroof is leaking and not the hatch seal?
Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

my hatch is separating badly at the back and it was leaking into the tire well area but I haven't seen the hatch leak at the top.

also how ould the hatch leaking even at the top get water on the rar carpet? that's too far from the hatch. After a heavey rain all night in the morning there would be half an inch of water under the rear carpet.

the vinyl on the roof was ripped when I got it (only in the rear where it leaks) and there were water stains on the roof so it was leaking before i bought it.

my interior is pretty dry now that I cover it and leave the windows down but the rear seat is still soaked, I don't think It'll dry until summer.

I might cover the inside of the car with newspaper to see exactly where the water is dripping from.

my guess is that it's the rear of the sunroof above the rear carpet and seat.

if it was the hatch, I think the carpet that covers the spare tire would get soaked but it doesn't .
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The hatch will definitely leak where it separates. That sits right over your back seats and will leak onto the back carpets. The part of the hatch over the tire won't leak. That's the opposite end of where the hatch generally leaks. Your seeing what I'm saying backwards. The hatch separtates where it meets it's hinge area, not where it is held down. The hatch struts push the hatch toward the back bumper...if you will. Whenever it is lifted that's where the pressure goes. Make sure to close it slowly and evenly. Don't push down on one side or the other.
Where the hatch frame meets the glass you should not be able to see the edge of the glass. I would check that.
Still, the fact that you know there was a leak in the sunroof would tell me that you first need to be positive that it sits flush. That penny thing won't cut it. It isn't secured. Under vibrations, a rig like that will move. You really should find a solid solution to that issue.
In the end you may have both problems.
If you won't freeze to death, get a hose and force water into the suspected areas. Then you'll be able to plan your attack.
Some pics would really be helpful as well.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be an issue with the drains for the sunroof?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camp out in your car when it rains to get a definate answer to where the water is coming in
Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Glue

Hi,

If you decide to glue the sunroof shut.. Don't use silicone, it will corrode your bodywork. Buy a proper glue from a bodyshop instead. ( I think these are acrylic based and don't contain any acids unlike the silicone)

Jarmo
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Is that avatar distracting or is it just me.....
Old 02-24-2007, 10:48 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I have the perfect fix.

Move to San Diego. It rains for like 2 weeks a year, and you can garage it for then

Old 02-24-2007, 12:08 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

If you're going to get rid of it, at least have a proper panel welded in.

I just did the manual conversion and seal replacement on mine. Let the car sit dry in the garage for a month or so with the roof locked down. When I took it outside in all the rain this last week, it's 100% fine.

I did the same things, both seals, manual conversion. The seals will take some time to break in. Make sure you have all the necessary hold downs in front or you'll never get the roof all the way in place. Also make sure the rears are latching firmly. Even with new seals it should not stick out much.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Apply some tape around the sunroof and park it in the rain. See if it still leaks.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the hatch frame has seperated.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the manual installation wasn't done well. If you have to put a shim in to compensate and the sunroof admittedly isn't fitting correctly then I think you've identified the problem.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

[IMG]hhh[/IMG] I bought my 88 with the sunroof sealed shut with clear silicone. The car is white and the silicone held the dirt and yellowed. Looked real bad. I carefully scraped the excess silicone off and it looks reasonable now. I have to admit it doesnt leak. I have a new seal but I have not gotten it put on. Also if your leak is on one side of the rear then you may have rear quarter window seals leaking. I have heard of it several times.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What if I glue the sunroof shut?