Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Cooper - Project RennWish

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jim Cooper - Cancer has taken our good freind

Our good friend Jim Cooper has passed on.
Our prayers are with Candy and the family in this tough time.

Please see the bottom of page 9 for the latest posts.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=306232&page=9

----Original post for this thread-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(see next post for Project RennWish info)

Some of you may know Jim Cooper. He is famous on the 944 email lists as the winner of the Cooper Cup. He has also posted to the web forums under the handle "Der Cupmeister". He is one of the organizers of the original Bay Area Pizza Run.

Jim has recently been diagnoised with Stage 4 melanoma.

Here is the most recent update from his Wife Candy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey ya'll:

You guys are so great, you've got me in tears here... Jim was so happy to hear from Dan and Brad today, it really picked up his spirits. He was saying that we could drive the truck and trailer partway if that would help ya'll out. Like to Amarillo, TX. That's about halfway, right? And then we can do the same to bring her home. She's really my baby, she was my daily driver after we bought her untill I lost my last job. I was so upset when dumb and dumberer-the two guys who helped us move-hurt her.

Jim's doing really well on the chemo. No stomach upset, just flu like feelings and a couple of motrin get rid of that. We're back to stage IV melanoma. It turns out that the original tumor was ulcerated. I don't understand why the Dr's won't tell us these things, I had to ask for a copy of the pathology report to find it out. But the Oncologist says that he still has a 50% chance of making it 5 years, much better than the stats you read online for stage IV. I've got him on Essiac Tea three times a day, don't know if it'll help, but it sure won't hurt.

Keep me posted on the plans for the car, the end of October is good for us.

Love to all,
Candy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 944 list guys wanted to do something to bring up Jim's sprits and decided that to do some needed repairs to Jim and Candys 89 944. Jim moved to New Mexico a while back and his 944 sustained valve damage during the move (Ill leave it at that). Scott Harrison and the KCWS have volunteered to pickup the car and do the labor to get his car back on the road.

If anyone wants to join in, you can send money to my paypal address dan10101#pacbell.net. change the # to a @... or send me a note for snail mail address.

TONIGHT we will be having a conference call with Jim and Scott to discuss details and generally give Jim some support. Anyone can join, but if we get a big turnout we may do some muting of the rabble...

Thursday 10-19-06 at 5pm PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. For you east coast guys it will be 8pm. The others will have to see what their local time is.

Conference Dial-in Number: (402) 756-9100 Follow the prompts.
Participant Access Code: 943116#

Press 6 to mute yourselves especially if you have background noise.

Hope you can join us with this short notice. We hope to do this again with more notice.

Thanks,
Dan Dalen

Last edited by DanD; 02-09-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Our good friend Jim has passed on.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott and I would like to bring up the idea of Project RennWish. (Edited: see later posts)

We'll take suggestions on how this might work. Possibly another thread would be needed.

I won't throw out my ideas on the subject here, just that this is something Rennlist would be great for. There have been many times in the past where people have stepped up to help one of our own. It may be time to begin to loosly organize something that could be a guideline for the future.

I would like to thank everyone who has given of there time and money towards repairing Jim and Candy's car. The outpouring of caring has really touched them and I think it's safe to say that the gift of a running car is really secondary to showing them that we care.

Dan Dalen

Last edited by DanD; 11-28-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

another idea....how about a Rennlist auction.all proceeds of any car,parts, clothing or general mechandise sold would be donated to Jim Cooper make-a-wish
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that's a great idea. Realize that the Make-a-Wish is really for the next person down the road. We're almost over the top for Jim's rebuild. So a project like an auction would be to build a fund for future needs.

We just got off our conference call with Jim. He sounds good and were set for the wrenching to begin next week.

Thanks Everyone.
Dan
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DanD
(Long post - see conference call info below)
(see next post for Make a wish info)

Some of you may know Jim Cooper. He is famous on the 944 email lists as the winner of the Cooper Cup. He has also posted to the web forums under the handle "Der Cupmeister". He is one of the organizers of the original Bay Area Pizza Run.

Jim has recently been diagnoised with Stage 4 melanoma.

Here is the most recent update from his Wife Candy.
Hey ya'll:

You guys are so great, you've got me in tears here... Jim was so happy to hear from Dan and Brad today, it really picked up his spirits. He was saying that we could drive the truck and trailer partway if that would help ya'll out. Like to Amarillo, TX. That's about halfway, right? And then we can do the same to bring her home. She's really my baby, she was my daily driver after we bought her untill I lost my last job. I was so upset when dumb and dumberer-the two guys who helped us move-hurt her.

Jim's doing really well on the chemo. No stomach upset, just flu like feelings and a couple of motrin get rid of that. We're back to stage IV melanoma. It turns out that the original tumor was ulcerated. I don't understand why the Dr's won't tell us these things, I had to ask for a copy of the pathology report to find it out. But the Oncologist says that he still has a 50% chance of making it 5 years, much better than the stats you read online for stage IV. I've got him on Essiac Tea three times a day, don't know if it'll help, but it sure won't hurt.

Keep me posted on the plans for the car, the end of October is good for us.

Love to all,
Candy

The 944 list guys wanted to do something to bring up Jim's sprits and decided that to do some needed repairs to Jim and Candys 89 944. Jim moved to New Mexico a while back and his 944 sustained valve damage during the move (Ill leave it at that). Scott Harrison and the KCWS have volunteered to pickup the car and do the labor to get his car back on the road.

If anyone wants to join in, you can send money to my paypal address dan10101#pacbell.net. change the # to a @... or send me a note for snail mail address.

TONIGHT we will be having a conference call with Jim and Scott to discuss details and generally give Jim some support. Anyone can join, but if we get a big turnout we may do some muting of the rabble...

Thursday 10-19-06 at 5pm PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. For you east coast guys it will be 8pm. The others will have to see what their local time is.

Conference Dial-in Number: (402) 756-9100 Follow the prompts.
Participant Access Code: 943116#

Press 6 to mute yourselves especially if you have background noise.

Hope you can join us with this short notice. We hope to do this again with more notice.

Thanks,
Dan Dalen

Dan,
Sorry to hear this about your good friend Jim. I'm in for anything you guys come up with to help out. I have a few parts I can sell and donate the money or just do a straight PayPal like Rennlist did a couple years ago to replace Serge's car after it was stolen. Keep this thread going. I still remember seeing the "Der Cup" itself on his living room table.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:25 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey y'all! This project is going strong! In case you didn't know, you can follow the progress of this great project over at www.kcws.org under the forum "Vehicle Issues". Anyway, I'm in charge of doing the interior and I was hoping I could find someone here on Rennlist who might have and be willing to donate an item or two. Here's what we're still needing. Thanks to all who've pitched in already!

-Clock
-The plastic cubby that fits beneath the stereo

Again, please take a sec and check out the thread at kcws.org. I don't have many pictures up yet, but I'll try and get some more soon. Thanks in advance to all and Happy Holidays!

Edit: Thanks everyone! Still looking for a few more things!
Attached Images  

Last edited by boxdoc2; 11-26-2006 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Default Jim Cooper make a wish

Mike,

"Black trim piece that fits on the far right side of the dash. It'd be the one that the clock, cig. lighter, and hazard button fits into"

I have this piece in very nice shape, however the two tabs holding the hazzard switch are cleanly sheered off. I am sure this is repairable with minimal effort. Please let me know if you are interested in having me send this out your way. I would like to help if I can. Send me a PM with your address if you feel this would be a viable part for you to work with and I will get it out asap.

Keith
Old 11-25-2006, 12:16 AM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith, PM sent. THANK YOU!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:13 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an original Blaupunkt stereo/cassette, but it's not CD, just send me an address if you want it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a stock black steering wheel- its not perfect but its "ok" and not ripped up just kinda pitted looking- would look ok w/ a re-dye im sure. Its yours if you guys want it.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:49 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russell, Thank you so much! Let me see if we can't come up with a CD player, but if not, an original Blaupunkt will work great!
Dan, I'll send you a PM! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdoc2
Russell, Thank you so much! Let me see if we can't come up with a CD player, but if not, an original Blaupunkt will work great!
Dan, I'll send you a PM! Thanks!
Mike, I have the JVC CD player that was in my car and I only used for about 6 months. I will try and remember to bring it to the shop and we will meet up sometime.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perfect Karl! Thank you!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Bump....

Stick this thread...