Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the first email he sent me,

Hello, I am Brett Burns, Director B&B autos , We
> purchase and pickup
> auto machines for customers world wide and we get
> paid in commission by
> our customers, after payment has been confirmed by
> the seller to the
> buyer. presently we have a customer interested in
> your (vehicle) that was
> advertised on the internet, and we will arrange for
> the pickup. Please
> we would want to know if it is still available. If
> it is, the following
> information is required: 1)The final/ bottom price
> 2)The miles or hours
> on the speedometer 3)Why you are selling The above
> question is part of
> our company policy when purchasing. Regards Brett
> Burns, Director B&B
> autos, 326 Rushton Toronto, ON M3H 6A7 CANADA
>
Old 10-04-2006, 02:54 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds similar to the one I got, specifically those questions. Turns out this cat is also in Canada:

Hello David,

My client was much impressed with the availability of your car.He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage.Send pics (interior and exterior) if any for my client's veiwing.

However,he would like to know your last price for onward transaction immediately.
Please permit me to ask few things about the condition of the car. How many mileage is on it presently? Any mechanical fault? Any stolen record? Why do you want to sell it? What of the engine? And please your firm price is required. Your early response will be highly apprieciated.
Have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

Terry
Then he followed up with this one:

My client has finally accepted your price,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too .He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage.

However,my client made out a certified cashier's check of ($21300) before he travelled to Japan on a business trip,for a previous car and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the car is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total
expenses which includes the purchase of your car,the pick up of the car from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your car ($12900) and send the balance of ($8400) to my client via western union money transfer to enable him offsett shipping charges/arrangements.

Once the transaction is concluded,my agent will be coming for the pick up of the car from its present location, on an open vehicle and then drive to a pre-paid shipper for shipment and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements.So you don't have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via fedex courier to my customer.

Please confirm this and provide name,address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier .
Thanks and God bless,

Regards,

Terry
So, what's the big deal with getting people on the phone? How does this help them defraud. Perhaps having the phone number allows them to look up additional personal information helpful in accessing the victims finances.

Being in the business of tracking down online fraud (but of a different type) I find this all rather interesting.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Red_Envy
Instructor

Scam...they are from Nigeria...No one from Canada would do this...and be stupid enough to expect someone to fall for it. They are not interested in your car...they want the balance you wire or send them...The cahiers cheque will bounce in a week and you will have already sent the money and maybe even your car... Saw the scam warning a few months ago on TV...Nigeria is the scam captial of the world...watch for broke english...a sure tell sign. Usually they say they are from England...
Old 10-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Ebby_951S
Instructor

LOL!!

Any time you get an essay for an inquiry into your listing, it's a scam.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Red_Envy
Scam...they are from Nigeria...No one from Canada would do this...and be stupid enough to expect someone to fall for it. They are not interested in your car...they want the balance you wire or send them...The cahiers cheque will bounce in a week and you will have already sent the money and maybe even your car... Saw the scam warning a few months ago on TV...Nigeria is the scam captial of the world...watch for broke english...a sure tell sign. Usually they say they are from England...
Oh yes.. quite familiar with these scams. Loved that site where people mess with them. There was another site some time ago where the guy was supposed to meet in Amsterdam... picked a place with a webcam pointing at the street and watched the crooks mill around waiting for him.. while he was kicking back at his house here in the US. If I get the time, I'll track that down.. pretty amusing IMHO.

On a side note, I got a couple more e-mails from 'Terry' today.. LOL

I think I'll put the entire e-mail conversation on one of my websites this week.. just for kicks....
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

your 'buyer' sounds scam-tastic!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Ghost944
Instructor

anybody who has a 'client' is a scammer. been on ebay long enough to know this
i have wheels for sale online (sorry not porsche wheels) and im getting emails from a guy who claims to live in england and is buying them for a client. gimme a break they're ****ty stock rims.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New email, sounds like alina typed it.

"please send us your contcat adress and your full name.then with your phone number.

thans"
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Keithr726
New email, sounds like alina typed it.

"please send us your contcat adress and your full name.then with your phone number.

thans"
Ah geezus..

So just to add some more levity to the situation.. I've decided to start taking some pages out of that websites playbook. I'm nearly as creative but.. I thought it was at least a decent first tray:

ME:
Hello Terry,

Wouldn't it be simpler to Western Union me the exact funds, or perhaps he can call his bank and cancel the first check and send me one for the exact amount. I'd be happy to store the car until the shipping agent arrives to pick it up.

- David
SCAMMER
David,

It would have been done like you suggested but my client is not around to do that.Please provide your info so the check will be shipped to you asap.
ME
Hello Terry,

Sure thing. Let me get a good address for you to send it to. Where I live crime is pretty high so FedEx and UPS often 'forget' to deliver packages. I have a secure mail location at the US Postal Office but I do not use it very often.

Once I get the check I'll take it to the drawing bank and have them make a check out for your client and have it waiting with the car or I can mail that back to you. Which bank is the check drawn upon?

Seems like that's a much simpler solution than having to find a Western Union agent somewhere in my small town, plus all those wire fees and stuff like that. What do they charge for a wire fee?

- David
SCAMMER
David,

Thanks for your mail.Please you will send the balance via western union and deduct the charges from my client's balance.Provide your name,address andphone number so the check will be shipped to you asap
ME
Hi Terry,

I just checked the phone book. We do not have a Western Union in my little town. The closest one is over 4 hours away by bus, because the retirement inn where I live won't drive me that far. We do have a couple of banks though. How about a wire transfer and then you and your client can settle up?
I'm waiting for Terry's reply. I've not yet figured out how to work the poopy diapers and goats into the conversation.. must do more research.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, if somebody is actually going to show up to pick up the car, I would get local law enforcement involved and let them send the cheque and attempt to pick it up....
Old 10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zero10
Wait, if somebody is actually going to show up to pick up the car, I would get local law enforcement involved and let them send the cheque and attempt to pick it up....
They won't send anyone. The scam is to get the 'overage' via Western Union wire, which as someone notes is the 'modality' of choice for these dirtbags. It would be great if someone were to show up.

I did decided to give them a totally ridiculous name and let them send the check which will never be preseted anywhere, but instead framed and placed on my wall. One scumbag turn deserves another!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I'm waiting for Terry's reply...I did decided to give them a totally ridiculous name and let them send the check which will never be preseted anywhere, but instead framed and placed on my wall.
Because these scammers usually have several scams going on at a time, send him a couple emails... from different people, different addresses, etc. Get a couple friends involved...

"Dear Michael, my best price on the Mercedes you inquired upon is $37,800. Please send me the cashier's check made out in this amount and upon receiving it, I will send the difference of $2,200 to you via Western Union as agreed..."

"Dear Brett, my best price on the Volvo you inquired upon is $19,500..."

"Dear William, my best price on the Saab you inquired upon is $14,800..."

See how many "cashier's checks" you can get from this scammer, and how much in postage you can cost him
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alordofchaos
Because these scammers usually have several scams going on at a time, send him a couple emails... from different people, different addresses, etc. Get a couple friends involved...

"Dear Michael, my best price on the Mercedes you inquired upon is $37,800. Please send me the cashier's check made out in this amount and upon receiving it, I will send the difference of $2,200 to you via Western Union as agreed..."

"Dear Brett, my best price on the Volvo you inquired upon is $19,500..."

"Dear William, my best price on the Saab you inquired upon is $14,800..."

See how many "cashier's checks" you can get from this scammer, and how much in postage you can cost him
Hmmmm as long as he's not using some hijacked FedEx account.. which. .I'd image they are or.. hopefully, they are paying cash. I've not heard back yet but I like that idea! I have about 100 e-mail accounts (I used to do a little domain name speculation) so I can send at least a few and see what happens.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

I've actually done that before, but I kept telling the scammer I never recieved the check or lost them.

In the end I had 4 checks, all clearly copies, from different banks across the mid-west US. In the end the scammer started getting angry at me, and never returned my email after the 4th check arrived.

He was trying to pay 5k for a set of $2600 wheels, and have me send him the balance. What typically happens, is that you deposit the check withdraw and wire transfer the balance to the scammer. Within a few weeks the bank informs you the check is bad and withdraws the original amount of the check from your account, and you lose the amount given to the scammer.

I believe if you try to cash (instead of deposit) the fake checks the bank will do a double verification and most likely inform you that the check is bad though.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:21 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

So.. taking a play from the previous post, I used one of my other accounts to send a 'cold call' e-mail to 'Terry' and this is what I got back. Hm.. how odd. it's exactly like the one he sent me on my real car! LOL.

ME
Hi Terry,

Thank you for your interest in my car, advertised on Porsche Trader. My price is very fair and firm at $38,750. I am available to show the car this weekend. Would you like to make an apointment to have your agent examine it?

- Thadeous
SCAMMER
Hello Thadeous,

My client was much impressed with the availability of your car.He can't wait to see the car parked in his garage.Send pics (interior and exterior) if any for my client's veiwing.

However,he would like to know your last price for onward transaction immediately.
Please permit me to ask few things about the condition of the car. How many mileage is on it presently? Any mechanical fault? Any stolen record? Why do you want to sell it? What of the engine? And please your firm price is required. Your early response will be highly apprieciated.
Have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

Terry
MY REPLY
Hello Terry,

Well, as I said.. the firm price is $38,750.

The care was stolen twice but I got it back. The insurance company did repair it to a satisfactory condition. I'm selling it because I can't aford it and the payments for my sex change operation at the same time, and following my dream to become a woman is more important that keeping this lovely car.

There are no mechanical defects of note, and the engine is quite pretty.

Respectfully,

Thadeous.
This a fresh 'hit' so I'll see how big of a check his 'client' accidentaly left him with. Geez these dirtbags have no shame. Wish I'd thought of the 'additonal car' idea myself.

Quick Reply: Possible fraud?