Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arbeitm
What I really need to know is...

Do those red buttons on Alex's steering wheel fire rockets or guns?

I think he is 007, which means one is the passenger side ejection seat and the other is a bullet proof plate for the rear window
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Momo Trek wheel in my 951... It's a really nice, comfortable wheel, but I'm still trying to decide if I like the D shape.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

how about something a little different....
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Matt - dude, they're the turbo boost buttons .... aren't they ?!?!?!? ...

But seriously, is it a simple thing to adjust the wiper and cruise control switches. I'd much rather do that, if possible, then space the wheel any further out.

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for adjusting the switches-the wiper switch is closer to the wheel than the turn signal- no idea why- just that German humor at work again I guess... The only way to adjust, that I'm aware of, is to take the wheel off & get that little nut underneath the switch plate & slide the whole thing- ALL switches will move back & forth the same amount- whole thing- on big piece- you can only move it 1/2" or so, total. I think that Matt's was just possibly slid back a tiny amount & it's either just far enough back that he misses the switch- would only take 1mm past a certain point. OR, maybe he just grips his wheel a certain way & has never had the prob? The only way to know is to measure the distance b/t the back of the wheel & the front of the switches- easy to do- I can measure mine too & we can compare- I'll try to get mine tommorrow...

The spacer idea is just the easiest way, really. The problem is, the pedals are pretty far up underneath the dash- especially clutch at full extension- IF you space the wheel, it makes the pedals feel that much further away. I made some pedal spacers w/ basic Sparco pedal covers- I wanted to get further back in the car- I'm 5'9" w/fairly long arms- the pedals were way too far down. I experimented w/various spacing- easier than I thought it would be- I have 2" on the accel, brake, & DP & 2.25" on the clutch- might be a hair much- 1.75" on all w/2" on clutch might have been perfect... Was just experimenting w/it & they've stayed on so well I've left them alone. Doesn't look as bad as the pics suggest & the DP is not actually attached in the pics- it's just sitting there- Now the wheel is at 1" & that sits me a little more upright, etc. Feels good to me. Now if I could just get the wheel a little lower... Even 1/2" would be great!

Sysgen- that makes sense...
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

This wheel (Personal Monza) makes me think of two things: LSD and Playskool. Was cheap and now dyed black.

Deano
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Do I remember that wheel from e-bay?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Alxx Nova
Instructor

Robby - I measured both switch distances from my wheel. Of course the thickness in the wheel increases right in front of those switches. My cruise turned out to be closer...

Wiper - 6/8 inch
Cruise - 5/8 inch

I have to pull the wheel to readjust the horn contact anyway. So I'll take a look at adjusting those switches back. Other wise I'm going to get some spacers and longer bolts ready. Now if I can find a ring to space it instead of 5 indivual spacers.

As for lowering your steering wheel, get a flat bottom wheel and mount it upside down ...

-----------------------------------------------------
Alex Portanova
1989 944 N/A
1999 Chrysler 300M
1992 Harley FXSTC
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ButtSled
This wheel (Personal Monza) makes me think of two things: LSD and Playskool. Was cheap and now dyed black.

Deano
I kind of like it... Though it should probably go in one of the pastel colored 968's from the German experimental colors era.... Or, in one of those milti-colored Golfs VW put out in the mid to late 90's...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alxx Nova
Wiper - 6/8 inch
Cruise - 5/8 inch

I have to pull the wheel to readjust the horn contact anyway. So I'll take a look at adjusting those switches back. Other wise I'm going to get some spacers and longer bolts ready. Now if I can find a ring to space it instead of 5 indivual spacers.

As for lowering your steering wheel, get a flat bottom wheel and mount it upside down ...

Alex- I meant to measure the wiper & the turn signal- not really the cruise, but that's ok to have too- it's just that I've neverheard of anyone accidentally activating the cruise- it's always the wipers. anyway, i'll get down & measure mine later, but if we can get some other measurements from people who have not spaced their wheels (since I have), we can compare your's- if Matt's wiper is 1/8" - 1/4" further back, then you'll know you might be able to space your's a tiny bit.

As for spacers, you COULD use individual spacers, but I was talking about a single space ring, like one of the following- the very last one, if you look closely, you will notice the one in my hand actually has a 5mm ring stacked w/the standard one (which is 15mm) w/longer bolts sticking through- the 5mm one is really the horn ring from my Competition- had to sand the flat surfaces to get a ground for the horn, but that was easy- anyway, you could just use one of these w/slightly longer bolts (can find places like LTB to order the bolts from) if you just want a tiny little bit of space to keep from hitting the wiper switch...
Attached Images     
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

matt, what does the wheel on your car look like now? i dont remember taking a good look at it, is it a thicker rim? im somewhat looking for a new steering wheel..
Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtSled

Deano
Glad to read its now black, I saw it and said to myself thats not possible no one who drives a P-car will fit that to his pride and joy. Much more in place in a '80s Mini.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I love porsche
matt, what does the wheel on your car look like now? i dont remember taking a good look at it, is it a thicker rim? im somewhat looking for a new steering wheel..
Looks the same as all the other 4-spoke wheels. It's just 363mm in diameter vs. the standard 380mm. The thickness is the same too.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just measured- the circumference of the grip of my wheel ranges from ~4.25" to ~4.5"- the distance b/t the signal switch & back of wheel is 3 1/8", the wiper switch is 2 5/8", & the cruise is 2 4/8"... That's showing that I'm almost a full 2" further away than Alex's, but I only have a 1" spacer & IIRC, I tried to push the the swtichplate as far out towards the back of the wheel as possible, when doing the last spacer, as I wanted to be able to hit the signal switch easier- the 1" spacer made a world of dif... Anyway, maybe someone else could measure the stock distances to confirm...?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alex- are you sure you're not at 1 5/8" & 1 6/8" on those measurements, as opposed to 5/8" & 6/8"...? Less than 1" would be awefully close & my measurents are almost a full 2" further w/a 1" spacer, plus I slid the whole thing forward as much as possible- maybe 1/8", this would account for me being slightly less than a full 1" further than you, but instead, I'm looking at almost 2"...? anyway, just curious...

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Choices