Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell to another 944...

Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farewell to another 944...

Well, this morning at about 7:50, I was on my way to work...

So traffic on 465 blows, as always, so we're all slowing down as it gets congested, and then the SUV in front of me swerves off onto the shoulder, leaving me looking at the rear bumper of a stopped Accord. I'm trying to stop, but can't manage (since I had NO warning- I was a reasonable distance behind the SUV, too.), and had nowhere else to go (left shoulder has the SUV, lane to the right is moving ~10-20mph faster), so I ended up plowing into the back of the Honda at maybe 30mph. My 944 dips UNDER the rear bumper of the Accord, shredding the fiberglass euro bumper and shoving the nose panel right into the engine bay.

Both front fenders are caved in, the bumper's in several pieces (some of which are probably still on the road somewhere along with one of the driving lights), the nose panel is embedded into where the belts are supposed to be, and the hood's buckled in the middle and about a foot shorter than it used to be. All because of some asshat that wasn't paying enough attention to the traffic in front of him. The worst part is that he got off completely clean. I hit the Accord, pushing it into a Toyota Echo and shoving the Echo into the Cavalier in front of it. The SUV (that had pulled onto the shoulder) just pulled on around the wreck and disappeared.

The engine died on impact, so I'm guessing that the hit took out the belts and shoved the engine out of position. The transmission seized up (lever wouldn't move much, even though the car still seems to be in gear), and the clutch didn't disengage after the one move to get the car off the road and onto the shoulder. I'm assuming that this car is totalled, and am just hoping that I get a fair payout from the insurance company. So yeah, it's been a great day.

So here's the carnage:
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Und kein engel steigt herab.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooowwwwch...
that completely sucks... insurance?
do you hear a turbo hissing at you?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

damn!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Campeck
oooowwwwch...
Thankfully, it's fully insured, and the deductible is only $250. I'm also thanking my agent for encouraging me to get a policy that includes the cost of a rental car for the duration of the proceedings. I get a rental car (with unlimited miles as long as I'm in-state) for up to a month, with no out-of-pocket costs for me.

And yes, there's a turbo calling my name somewhere... Unless I find a really good N/A first, but still...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

Oh, and I know this is going to sound like I just made this mess up for sympathy, but one of our cats died today, too.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:14 AM
apen749
Advanced

Hello Orbix,

I'm sorry to hear this news. Are you ok? Once I had a similiar wreck and I really got whip lash. I always thought this was just a made up sickness but I really hurt for close to a week. You can always get another car.

Lee
Old 07-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Campeck
oooowwwwch...
his fault, insurnace going up? I doubt it.

Thats really unfortunate man, I hope it works out as well as possible.

"I'm assuming that this car is totalled"
Nothing to assume. Buy it back since buyback will be so cheap and sell it off or part it. at least make a few extra bucks to help pay for another car or something.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 AM
jjjr944
Racer

Sorry to hear about your mishap David.

I'd try and keep the Fuchs and the boxed rockers and see how it goes with the insurance.

I have a friend who is an attorney in Shelbyville parting with an immaculate 85.5 944NA if interested. Guards Red/black with both a set of OEM AND BBS silver wheels. (he also sold his 83 911SC and moved up to a 911 C4S ) LMK and I'll get you in touch. He has an office in Indy as well.

Jerry
Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 AM
jenket944
Pro

Oh, crap....dude that's just nasty. Sorry for the loss. Makes my fix-a-flat explosion seem kind of negligible. Good luck dealing with the insurance co.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by apen749
Hello Orbix,

I'm sorry to hear this news. Are you ok? Once I had a similiar wreck and I really got whip lash. I always thought this was just a made up sickness but I really hurt for close to a week. You can always get another car.

Lee
Thankfully, I'm feeling fine. (We'll see how stiff I am tomorrow, but I'm pretty optimistic.) Also, (and I should have mentioned this in the first post) no one was hurt, so things went well, relatively speaking.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
his fault, insurnace going up? I doubt it.

Thats really unfortunate man, I hope it works out as well as possible.

"I'm assuming that this car is totalled"
Nothing to assume. Buy it back since buyback will be so cheap and sell it off or part it. at least make a few extra bucks to help pay for another car or something.
With the drivers of the other cars involved talking about the SUV pulling by on the shoulder like he did, and the general consensus that the missing driver was responsible for the accident, I'm very hopeful that this will be deemed a no-fault accident. The police officer on the scene didn't issue any citations, so that's an excellent start, though we'll see what the insurance companies think about this mess.

And yeah, I'll be checking into buyback if the car is totalled.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry to hear that - I recently lost a pet as well - on my birthday no less.......

Are the frame rails bent? Are the Fuchs strait? There is a lot that is salvageable, if the frame rails are ok then you could fix the car. My current daily driver has a perfect interior and mechanically great - I rebuilt it from a low-speed front end collision......
Old 07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I really hope it works out for you like that. I know out here, the person that hits someone from behind is ALWAYS at fault. Report back how it works out for you!
Originally Posted by orbix
With the drivers of the other cars involved talking about the SUV pulling by on the shoulder like he did, and the general consensus that the missing driver was responsible for the accident, I'm very hopeful that this will be deemed a no-fault accident. The police officer on the scene didn't issue any citations, so that's an excellent start, though we'll see what the insurance companies think about this mess.

And yeah, I'll be checking into buyback if the car is totalled.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:50 AM
JasonKaw
Instructor

Sorry for your misfortune, I do not have a story to share with you (a car crash) , but I do feel your pain. Though I have lost my share of pets and know that really sucks, and not to mention it was a Monday. Perfect start to a week! Hope all works out with the Ins. company, and hope you invest in a new 944.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Farewell to another 944...