Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Are Your Euro Driving Lights Installed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:13 AM
SpecialtyConcreteCoatings
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Are Your Euro Driving Lights Installed?

I bought the kit from Paragon. Yesterday I installed them in my '89 NA w/ S2 front end. Now I cannot start my car. I'm hoping I just killed the battery. I'm wondering how other people's lights are installed.

The directions make it so the driving lights are OFF when your low beams are ON. But the driving lights come ON when the high beams are ON. Does that seem stupid to anyone else? It did to me, so I reversed it. I think it's illegal to run anything else w/ your high beams on in PA anyway.

Set Up:
Driving Lights ON w/ low beam
Driving Lights OFF w/ high beam

Wiring:
  1. Splice brown (neutral) wire from headlamps. Connect to the driving light plate.
  2. Splice yellow wire from the headlamps. Connect to the white wire coming off the driving light.
  3. Do not splice the headlamp's white wire as stated in the instructions.

Fuses:
  1. Change fuse #22 and #23 from 7.5 to 15.
  2. Do not change fuse #20 & #21 as the instructions state. This should stay 7.5.

Does that seem okay? It's odd because everything worked, then I turned off my headlamps, they closed and then would not open back up or turn on. But I could still turn the fog lights on and off. So, I can't start the car or turn the headlamps on. I don't think I blew a fuse, but I will check again tomorrow. Maybe the battery is just low?

Is there anything I should look for?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

My lights only come on when I am on high beam. Otherwise they just act as parking lights (low intensity)
Old 07-05-2006, 12:33 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you want driving lights on with low beam? Driving lights are normally very bright. On my VW they light about a mile (Hella 500's). Inconsiderate of other drivers to blind them on low and if you need the extra illumination and theres no one to be bothered in front then you would want the high beams too. Fogs on with parking lights makes sense as that's what fogs are for and they can be used as runnung lights. Fogs can also work as supplements with low beams.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

The kit gives 100W for the driving lights, but I only used 55W bulbs for both the fog light and driving light. I very rarely use my high beams. Do you think that this current set up is too bright (low beam + 55W driving lights)? I'm not trying to blind other drivers, just trying to get some use out of the $300+ kit.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beeg
My lights only come on when I am on high beam. Otherwise they just act as parking lights (low intensity)
So they're on with parking lights, but dimmed? They just get brighter when you use your highbeams?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two seperate bulbs in the setup. Go figure. German engineering.
That's probably why my bonnet release is on the passenger side??????
Old 07-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beeg
Two seperate bulbs in the setup. Go figure. German engineering.
That's probably why my bonnet release is on the passenger side??????
Sounds nice, but I guess this isn't an option for me.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:17 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't think you were intending to annoy. You got the kit to add a light in addition to the fog light for S2/Turbo? I was just suggesting that the driving light is typically set to provide a higher level concentrated high intensity beam to supplement the high beams when driving at higher speeds while, the fogs give a low flat beam that sometimes gives a broader pattern. That is why the instructions wire them the way they do. To fix your problem I would go to the way they are supposed to be set up (makes it easier to troubleshoot). You probably blew a fuse somewhere (maybe noy on the main board) or just killed the battery. I wouldn't think you would have a problem with Law Enforcement as long as you are discreet about using them (shift to low beams when oncoming traffic is a long way off).
Old 07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why dont you just add another switch for the driving lights?

thats what i want to do. so I can independently turn on the highs, lows, fogs, and driving lights.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Banned

The set up I posted does work. I just tested it today.

I thought about adding another switch, but wanted to try it the easy way first. Please let me know if you do add a switch!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

My euro lights work like this. Driving light is controlled by switch, fogs come on with low beam and driving lights can be turned on with low or high beam with the switch. I want to add a switch for the fogs so they can be controlled independently from the other lights
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I have two switches over above my left knee. One turns on the low-beam driving light and is activat-able only when the parking lights are on. The other turns on the high-beam and is activat-able only when the high beams are on.

I have 55W/100W in the European driving lights, and 55W each side in the main beam headlights. The European low-beam driving lights are aligned in such a manner that they work better than the main H4 units.

Here's how it works on my car.

On rotary switch position 1 (parking lights) the parking lights come on. If the first supplementary dash switch is also on, I additionally get the driving lights, without the pop-ups raising.

Turning the switch to the second (headlight) position, the pop-ups raise and the parking lights stay on (just like any 944) and the same dash switch allows the low-beam 55W driving lights to run. Pushing the turn signal switch to the full-beam position operates the high-beams and turns off the low-beams in the stock headlight assemblies. (again, just like any 944.) The second dash-mounted illuminated rocker switch that I have is then operable, and activates the second set of (100W) bulbs in the driving light assemblies. The lensing of the driving lights' high-beam light throw dumps the horizontal cutoff, and lights up everything in front of the car.

At any time, pull-to-flash activates the high-beam driving lights. They're all locally driven from relays fed by a seperate, fused power-tap from the battery. It was in the car when I bought it, so I didn't do the wiring, but it's an extremely flexible arrangement, and I love it. The stock headlights SUCK without the driving lights. The road illumination is 5 times better, WITHOUT blinding oncoming drivers, sue to the driving lights' excellent horizontal cutoff. I know because I've had my wife drive the car one way while I've been driving the other.

I love that setup, and couldn't imagine needing more flexibility, though the driving lights work so darned well that I just leave both switches on; the supplemental light output is just fabulous.

I think it's illegal to run anything else w/ your high beams on in PA anyway.
The VW MkIV Golfs and GTIs run high beam in addition to and not instead of the main (low) beam lights. Jettas seemt o be different, but if the Golf is legal in PA, then perhaps that must not be the law. If that is the law, then tip off your local highway patrolman and tell him to pull over every MkIV Golf or GTI he ever sees using high beams, because the low beams stay on at the same time.

Keith
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

As an FYI, driving lights in Euro cars should be controlled by the fog light switch. With the main lights on low beam, turning on the fog light switch turns on the fog lights. If you then switch to high beam the fogs go out and the driving lights come on.

The above sequence is exactly how the fog/driving lights on the 968 work. In order to do the same thing on the USA 944 you need to change what's called a "bridge adapter" in the fuse box to the Euro type (the 968 version may also work). You may also need to run wires from the fuse box down to the driving lights since those may not be present. On the Euro cars there is a little harness that connects the driving lights and fog lights to the wiring harness, and I know that harness is not in the US cars... just not sure if the extra driving light wires are included or not (don't think they are).
Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

This is a great thread on wiring the driving lights on a 2nd switch.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=34737
Old 07-06-2006, 05:27 AM
gruntie
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
As an FYI, driving lights in Euro cars should be controlled by the fog light switch. With the main lights on low beam, turning on the fog light switch turns on the fog lights. If you then switch to high beam the fogs go out and the driving lights come on.
Not on my Euro 944 they don't..................driving lights go on & off with main beam headlights, irrespective of what the foglights are doing. There's no switch for them at all.

Quick Reply: How Are Your Euro Driving Lights Installed?