Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1994 968 Midnight Blue / Tan Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:37 PM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: 1994 968 Midnight Blue / Tan Coupe

I just registered and paid to become a Rennlist member yesterday - so hopefully everything should be working now. My member number is 060708-4089 and my last name is Lin. I defintely don't want to be breaking any rules. If so, moderators please inform me and I will pull this thread. I have listed this car in the Rennlist classifieds if that means anything. Now, onto the car:

1994 Porsche 968 Coupe – Midnight Blue Metallic / Tan
Vin # WP0AA2968RS820137
64737 Miles
I am the 4th Owner
The car is located in Marlboro, New Jersey (Central New Jersey)

First and Second Owner combined miles: ~ 20000 Miles
Third Owner drove car to ~ 45000 Miles
The current mileage is 64737 Miles

I will be attending the UVM College of Medicine starting August 2006 and have decided that it is time for me to sell the 968. At this point in my life, this move makes financial sense (the added maintenance, gas and insurance costs on top of my tuition is too much for me). This move also makes common sense – I will not have the time to drive this car in M.S. nor do I wish to subject the car to snowy Vermont winters that begin in October. So I am reluctantly putting this car up for sale.

The car was purchased on 4/1/2002. During my first year of ownership, the 968 served as garage queen and was gently driven just over 2000 miles. Major work was done in April of 2003 at Ray Catena Porsche in Edison, New Jersey (see below) to fix an oil leak, change the clutch, perform a 60000 mile service, replace the belts, and change fluids. I drove the car approximately 5000 miles a year for the next two years following that, doing the maintenance oil changes myself. I also added a variety of removable modifications onto the car during this period (see below). Over the past year I have driven the car almost 7000 miles. I had the car extensively serviced by PowerTech in Rockaway, New Jersey. In September of 2005 I had the car checked by PowerTech (belts & fluids) before I made the trip up to Vermont for my medical school interview. In February of 2006 I had the car brought back to PowerTech to fix another major oil leak that have developed, install larger M030 sway bars and a Brey-Krause Underbelly Crossbrace. The car was brought back to PowerTech in April of 2006 for recall work – the engine was leaking oil again from the newly replaced seals. The balance shaft belt was also replaced at this time and retensioned 2000 miles later. The car no longer leaks a drop of oil.

Over the past month I have installed a new Diehard International group 48 Battery and an adjustable 14.4V voltage regulator. I also have a brand new 30 lb Optima G35 Reverse Terminal battery.

During the past year I have used this car as a highway driver mainly to hustle between Marlboro, NJ – New York, NY – Burlington, VT – Washington, DC – Hershey, PA. The car has made these trips without any incidents and I would not hesitate to drive this car across the country (I am/was actually thinking about doing this as a last hurrah before school). I have also used this car in a variety of autocross events as my scuffed up fiberglass front splitter can prove.

I am a firm believer in driving the 968 rather than letting it sit in a garage. However, I am also a believer in keeping up-to-date with maintenance to keep the car in top shape. The car is scheduled to visit PowerTech in July to check belts, fluids, and the suspension components.

I have been a member of Porsche Club of America – Northern New Jersey Region since purchasing the car four years ago.

More photos will be posted and updated at the following website:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...07/porsche968/

My asking price is $22.5k negotiable. Feel free to contact me via email at Chris.Chih.Lin@gmail.com .

CO2 – Equipped with Catalytic Converter
XC9 – Dark Rootwood Gear Shift ****
XD4 – Porsche Crest Rim Caps
331 – AM/FM Cassette with 2/Door Speakers
454 – Automatic Speed Control (Cruise Control)
490 – HiFi Sound System (10 Speaker Option, On each side: 1 Tweeter, 2 door speakers, 2 Rear Panel Speakers, 1 AMP under each seat)
650 - Sunroof
718 – Program Vin Change (Car built later in 1993 production year and bumped up to next 1994 model year)
09991 – Manufacture from the Exclusive-Programme
L37W LC – Midnight Blue Metallic Clearcoat with Beige Interior
OEM Porsche black floor mats with red letters included
Early 944 Style Seats (not later 993 Style Seats)

4/1/02 – Purchased – 45380 miles – 4th Owner
 Installed Tech Art Cat-Back Exhaust (OEM Available)
 Installed Alpine 5-CD Changer in Glove box Compartment (OEM Version)
 Self-Oil Change
 Passed State Inspection Tests

4/24/03 - Ray Catena Porsche 60000 Mile Service – 47593 Miles - $5525.29
 New OEM Front & Rear Brake Pads
 New OEM Front & Rear Brake Discs

 Brake Fluid Flush and New Porsche Brake Fluid
 Coolant Flush and Replacement
 New Valve Cover Gaskets
 New Front Engine Seals
 New Oil Filter Seals
 New Clutch Disc, Pressure Plate, Release Bearing
 New Fuel Filter
 New Timing Belt
 New Oil Filter
 New Air Filter
 New OEM Spark Plugs
 New Gear Oil
 New Washer Fluid
 New Wiper Blades
 New Pollen Air Filters
 New Brake Cable Holds

2004-2005 Self-Maintenance
 Mobil1 Oil and Mahle Oil Filter self-changed every 3000 miles with 15W50
 Added Porsche OEM ROW Front Turn Signals (USA OEM turn signals and front bumpers available) $90.00
 Added Rennline Aluminum 3-Pedal and Dead Pedal set (removable) $150.00
 Added Fiberglass 968 Turbo Front Splitter $350.00 ($550 Porsche Motorsport Polyutherane Splitter Available)
 Added KLA Industries Strut Brace 50000 miles (removable) $150.00
 Replaced OEM 968 DME Fuel-Pump Relay with 993 DME Fuel-Pump Relay – (OEM Spare Available) $15.00
 Added 2002 Porsche 18” 996 5-Spoke Silver-Painted Wheels with Pirelli Pzero Rosso Tires (225/40, 285/35) with OEM Colored Crests at 53000 miles $3300.00

 Added proMAX 7100 RPM Chip at 53000 miles (OEM Chip Available) $150.00
 Added 993 OEM Twin Turbo “Big Red” Front Brake Calipers, 993TT OEM Cross Drilled Rotors, 993 TT OEM Brake Pads at 55000 Miles (OEM rotors, calipers available) $1400.00
 Added Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rear Rotors at 55000 Miles $120.00
 Added 944Racing Short Shifter Linkage Kit at 55000 Miles (OEM Available) $150.00

 Added NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs at 56000 Miles (4 Extra Available)
 Professionally detailed by Erich Lipinski to recondition paintwork. 3/2005 $500.00

9/2005 – PowerTech Road Inspection
 Belts and Fluids Checked, replaced, and/or re-tensioned accordingly
 OEM Porsche 928 Front/Rear Brake Bias Valve installed to accommodate larger front calipers (OEM available)

2/22/06 PowerTech Service (Oil Leaks) – 58626 Miles - $3146.27
 Added Porsche OEM M030 Front and Rear Sway Bars (rear set at full stiff) with new brushings
 Added KLA Industries Front Sway Bar Bracket Supports
 Added Brey Krause Underbelly Cross Brace between Control Arms

 Flushed and Replaced Coolant
 Power Steering pump resealed
 New Oil Cooler Gaskets
 New Mobil1 15w50 Oil
 Power-steering Fluid Flush and Bleed
 Four-wheel Suspension Alignment

4/14/06 PowerTech Service (Recall Oil Leaks Again) – 60740 Miles – Recall Work
 Previously installed seals leaking again
 Entire car was resealed again.
 New Mobil1 15w50 Oil
 Replaced Balance Shaft Belt

Balance Shaft Belt was retensioned at 63000 Miles - $100

06/2006 - 64000 Miles
 Passed State Inspection Tests
 Added New Diehard Group 48 Battery $100.00 ($130.00 Optima Group 35 Battery Available)
 Cleaned Battery Cable Grounds, Front Headlight Grounds and Rear Engine Compartment Grounds
 Added new 14.4 Adjustable Voltage Regulator (12.7V at battery, 13.7V at battery at idle)
 Flushed Brake Fluid with ATE Blue and bled all calipers.

5w30 Oil Change Imminent

I also have 4 extra Mahle Oil Filters, OEM Porsche 968 Car Cover and Bag, Extra Alternator/Air Conditioning Belt. The car comes with all manuals, tool kit, spare tire, and Porsche Air compressor. I also have the Iceshark (Dan Wray) Headlight Harness Kit that will give the 968 a HID look ($250.00).

Please see the following links on IceShark’s headlight harness kit:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/134230-iceshark-s-light-cannons-pics.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=18107

The midnight blue metallic paintwork is in very good condition. There is no evidence of repaint anywhere. I had the professional detailer Erich Lipinski clay-compound-polish-wax last year to remove the swirls and give the paint a deep wet look. I just spent six hours detailing the car (6/22/06) by using Griot’s Garage Clay & Speedshine to remove any contaminants in the paint, 3M HandGlaze to fill the minor paint swirls from everyday usage and add a wet look, P21S Gloss Enhancer to give the paint a deeper shine, and P21S Wax to seal the whole look. (Every since I observed Mr. Lipinski work on my car, detailing has become a side hobby of mine). The car’s paint is smooth as a baby’s bottom now.

The side sills underneath the doors are pitted with rock chips from normal driving usage. They look good from a distance and OK up close – they can be repainted or left alone. There are numerous rock chips up on the front bumper cover and lower hood – again, it looks good from a distance and OK up close – they can also be repainted or left alone.

It appears the previous owner bumped into something both at the front and rear of the car. The paint on the upper front bumper cover has very light spider marks at the point of impact. The driver-side rear bumper cover has similar spider marks. The bumper covers themselves ARE NOT cracked or broken. If you’re looking to fix this, Mr. Lipinski suggested to wet-sanding the afflicted areas and repaint over. They are not that noticeable so I have left them alone.

The fiberglass front splitter has paint-cracks, scrapes, and chips all over it. I personally like the rugged-look but understand that others may not. Thus, I am including an unpainted OEM Porsche Motorsport Polyutherane Turbo splitter ($550 part).

There is a major ding on the driver-side rear quarter panel from the past owner. There are also a couple of dings on the passenger-side door.

The rear tires look like they have another 3000-5000 miles left on them, depending on driving style. The front tires appear to have a good amount of tread left. I highly recommend with sticking with the Pirelli PZero Rosso System. Tire sizes front and rear are 225/40 and 285/35, respectively. You MAY be able to fit 235/40 up front to compensate for the inherent understeer in this tire arrangement, or you can reduce the fat rear tire sizes (but then you’ll lose the cool-look factor  ). I purchased these tire/wheels brand new from Brandywine Porsche in Pennsylvania.

The wheels are near perfect. There is a minor scrape on the front-passenger-side wheel. The front and rear dimensions are 8x18 ET50 and 10x18 ET65. The whole wheel/tire combination fits fine with no rubbing issues.

There are no chips on the front red calipers.

Because this 968 was produced in late 1993 production year and sold as a 1994 model, the interior seats are the 944 style rather than the later 993 style. The seats are 4-way adjustable.

The partial-leather driver-side seat has some outer-bolster wear but no rips or tears. The passenger-side seat is perfect. I regularly apply Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioner on both seats. The vinyl seat-backing is in excellent condition with no tears or scuff marks. The vinyl rear seats are perfect and fold down with no problems. I clean the vinyl areas with Meguiar’s Heavy-Duty Vinyl Cleaner and finish it off with Lexol’s Vinyl Conditioner.

The OEM black front& rear floor mats are in excellent condition. The driver-side floor mat is a little worn due to normal usage. The beige carpets underneath the mats are perfect with no stains. The carpet around the console is also clean with no stains.

The cassette cover is present and works fine. The leather around the gear shifter is a little worn but is not ripped. The rootwood shifter is in excellent condition but the upper insert is showing a little wear. I do have an aluminum 996 shifter with an adapted leather boot that can be installed (included).

The dash is in excellent condition with NO CRACKS. I also clean and condition the vinyl with Meguiars and Lexol. The door and upper roof panel areas are in excellent condition. The sun visors work perfectly.

The carpet in the rear hatch area is perfect with no rips or stains. However, the black cargo cover is slightly stained (I’ve tried everything to get it off but it won’t get off).

One issue that this car has is with the glovebox hinges. Essentially, they don’t exist. The cheap wires Porsche used to hold up the glovebox cover appear to have snapped. The cover swings all the way down now. This seems to be a common problem with the 944/968 model line, but it is an easy fix with the kit provided by www.Paragon-Products.com

All the electronics in the car work perfectly. The exceptions include the temperature gauge (the digital display only produces gibberish), the rear wiper (when it’s plugged in the motor begins to run despite the switch being in the OFF position. I currently have it unplugged), the rear defroster (only two lines work), and one of the up-buttons on the driver-side seat (doesn’t work). The cruise control, radio, interior & exterior lights, driver mirror adjustments, windows, hatch release, alarm system, horn, roof lifts, air conditioning, fans, heater etc. all work as they should.

The engine runs strong, especially with the iridium spark plugs and proMAX chip installed. I do not think that Techart Exhaust adds any horsepower but it is lighter and the sound is much deeper/growlier (sp?) than the OEM version. I have not had the car dyno-tested. Stock horsepower at the engine is 236 and information provided by proMAXmotorsport.com indicates an increase of 10-22 horsepower and 17 lb/ft torque. Various members on 968.net have installed this chip on their car with no complaints.

(Please see the following links on information for the ProMAX Chip:
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11736
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9261
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11837
)

The 944Racing short shifter kit is well worth the money spent. The shift-throw is much shorter and very precise. It has given shifting a more notch-like feeling. It also reduced shifter vibration.

The combination of the KLA strut brace, m030 front sway bar with support brackets, and the Brey-Krause crossbrace has tightened the front of the car tremendously. The rear m030 swaybar was set at full stiff to compensate for the inherent understeer in this setup. Also, because of the different tire sizes (225/40 front, 285/35 rear) this car still has a slight tendency to understeer. However, this is only noticeable when the car is pushed to its limits.

The front struts and rear torsion bars are stock and can be improved depending on the desired setup.

Again, my asking price is $22.5k negotiable. I can be reached via email at Chris.Chih.Lin@gmail.com . Photos will be continually updated at the abovementioned website (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...07/porsche968/ ) . Feel free to request photos of specific areas. Please contact me if you are serious about purchasing this car. Thank you for your interest.

-Chris Lin

Some photos:

Old 06-24-2006, 03:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Chris,

Your killing me. Now you put it up for sale after I already bought the S2.

Beautiful car and will say hate to see you leave the pack. Other than the front spoiler needing a repaint it is a fabulous car. Midnight blue and all the uprades wish i had room for another.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow. Now that is how you put together a 'for sale' ad.
Nice car, hope you get every penny.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Beautiful car. Also post on 968forums.com and 968.net. I'd like to see you get that price, to keep the market up, but based on what other 968's have been getting, you are on the high side. Good Luck.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:18 PM
turbo9441
Advanced

Beautiful car!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:34 PM
PCA 944
Burning Brakes

The ad itself adds a few grand IMHO to the car. Very concise, and it looks like a great car.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Nice car! The wheels/brakes look incredible!!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Thanks all for the kind words. I may be able to keep the car but it'll make life a lot harder down the road when I have to pay back the $200000 + interest I'll owe the government at the end of school. It's better to cut costs now and jump back into a Porsche later in life.

Anthony - this is all part of a carefully planned scheme, I was just waiting for you to get that S2 AND put money into it I was actually going to ask you if you would consider a trade with your S2 but then I remembered that the whole reason I'm selling is because I won't be able to afford a high-maint sports car while in school. New Balance sneakers are much cheaper to maintain!

I do not think that the price range I am ultimately shooting for is unfair, especially with the modifications and all the maintenance. A buyer can always buy a cheaper 968 and then spend $$ to get it sorted out - this car should not require that. It is set for another check-up (belts, fluids, suspension components) with PowerTech in July. BTW, I believe PowerTech is a Rennlist sponser so I think it is OK for me to use their company name. (They are excellent mechanics and stand by their work - I highly recommend them)

That being said, I am willing to negotiate (I expect it actually) and will consider serious offers.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must..... resist..... burning..... hole..... in..... pocket.....

Very nice car.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah man Chris, sorry to see you have to sell..but i understand thinking in the long term..i was stuck making a similar decision about a year ago but decided to keep the car instead, its been a stretch but ive managed to keep food in my stomach and the tuition bills in check.

I hope you get something you can still enjoy autocrossing!

To any people considering purchasing this car, ive seen it in person twice and its a lovely car. The wheels.. the big brakes... oh boy, i love it.!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Damn Chris, even trade !!!

You have a deal, I will even pay for all maintainance on the S2 for the next 4 years or graduation day whichever comes first.

Good luck you should get your money, it truly is a beautiful and well maintained car.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No Chris! Even trade with me....
You might find it hard to drive my car though.. as i literally have a little more than 100hp less than you!
Old 06-24-2006, 08:31 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow you have an awesome car, good luck with the sale
Old 06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Man, you 968 guys are killing me. This is the second extemely nice 968 to come along in a few months. Had I not just picked up a new mustang GT as my daily, I might be all over this one.

Nice car, hope you get your price for market reasons. But it does seem a bit high.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:18 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Chris: Any chance you're interested in parting with the Rootwood shift ****?! I've been craving one and they're hard to find.

Beautiful 968 BTW! If you're still selling it in 3-4 months, i'll put in an offer.

Quick Reply: FS: 1994 968 Midnight Blue / Tan Coupe