Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT! FLush fuel lines after replacing fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
White Pony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation IMPORTANT! FLush fuel lines after replacing fuel filter?

Putting a fuel filter on right now... Do I need to flush the lines (prolly should) and where is the exit point for the flush? If you know or have the slightest clue, please help!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:11 AM
White Pony
Racer

Of all the things I have done with cars, this little pig of a fuel filter has got to be the most god awful thing to get off, besides the seat bolts on the floor of my 87 Caddilac.

Please help, my Haynes manual is at my buddy's house and I am without a means to go get it.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

i don't really know the answer to you're problem, but it would seem that just letting it crank and starting it would get the system flushed. it shouldn't have any negative implications.

but why I'm really posting is to agree with the fuel filter...my god i couldn't get mine off, the first mechanic i took it to couldn't get it off, finally i took it to a Porsche dealer and they did it for me....
Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 AM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by mavfan
i don't really know the answer to you're problem, but it would seem that just letting it crank and starting it would get the system flushed. it shouldn't have any negative implications.

but why I'm really posting is to agree with the fuel filter...my god i couldn't get mine off, the first mechanic i took it to couldn't get it off, finally i took it to a Porsche dealer and they did it for me....
I finally got it off. It has taken me 2 and a half hours of saying the fword into my passenger side wheel well.

WD 40 works little miracles.

I am worried about whether you have to flush the fuel lines after the injector install, much like you have to purge nitrous lines after an install... I don't know if I should worry about gettingsomething stuck in an injector?

We can go to fuel filter fighters anon later, lol.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:36 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

God when i had the line right after the fuel pump explode getting that damm filted off soaked in reaking fuel was the biggest pita ever.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

No need to purge the lines. I just replacd mine - I had the tranny out at the time - mucho easier. The filter was sitting on a shelf in the garage for over a year - yeah, it's a bitch.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:20 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Never purged, no problems.

The high pressure side?

God when i had the line right after the fuel pump explode getting that damm filted off soaked in reaking fuel was the biggest pita ever.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Umhmmm...
Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Good to know the fuel filter is a PITA. I will do this while my head is out and at the shop. Don't forget to clean the other fuel filter/screen in the tank.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not that hard, but I strongly recommend using eye protection. Even if someone were (hypothetically) to say "I'll just move my head out of the way and turn it to the side while I loosen the last fitting", there would probably be a way for the gasoline to find it's way directly into your eyes. Hypothetically speaking of course. I have no personal experience with this. Nope. Not me.

That was one of the stupider things I've ever done. . . I mean. . . heard of SOMEONE doing. . . in a garage.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Using POPs logic, you might want to wear a face sheild. Heaven know you wouldn't want to be under there grimacing or slack jawed even and have a stream of gas spray directly into your mouth or anything. Of course I can't imagine that ever happening, but who knows.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 PM
shadowknight
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine several weeks ago and did not have to flush the lines.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

if you want to flush the lines, just start it up... it'll run for a couple secs and die. Doesn't seem like it would matter.
I didn't think it was that hard to replace the filter.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manning
Using POPs logic, you might want to wear a face sheild. Heaven know you wouldn't want to be under there grimacing or slack jawed even and have a stream of gas spray directly into your mouth or anything. Of course I can't imagine that ever happening, but who knows.
definatly dont want it in your mouth, i knew this guy... one time.. swallowed some while syphoning... i heard he puked for like an hour and the taste was in his mouth all day.. the smell of gas that day instigated me.. i mean him... puking again
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 AM
White Pony
Racer

Well, it helps if you depressurize the fuel system by taking out the pump fuse (slot no 2 on the highest fuse panel) and starting it up and turning over the motor until it doesn't run any more.

Then loosening rusted fittings, let the gas dribble out into a bucket... Take the filter off the rest of the way.

THe new filter I had was wrong, that is the last thing I EVER buy from a Napa auto parts store. I put the old one back on, and I'm going to order the correct one from a reputable online seller...

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT! FLush fuel lines after replacing fuel filter?