Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why porsche: when i was about 15, my dad recieved a 911 model for christmas from someone, he talked about a few different porsches, 944 being one of them. after researching a bit, i fell in love.

his better half never allowed him to obtain this toy, so it was my duty. now i have one, and will never look back
Old 09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm 36, when I was young my father always had some sort of german car, Porsche, BMW, VW and Benz. I remember some of them:

- BMW 2002 (two of them both silver on black)
- VW Bugs (plural)
- Porsche 914/6
- 1973 Porsche 911 E
- 1979 Porsche 924
- Various models of MB's

Let's not forget about mom, she liked those foreigners too:
- 50's Volvo
- 60's VW
- 72 Mercury Capri
- 80 Volvo 240
- 98 Volvo S90

I guess something wore off on me. Based on the above it was bound to take hold. I have had 3 9x4 series cars an '80 924 (totaled) the '83 and now the '87. I bought the '83 to fix as a long term project and my wife Lisa got pregnant earlier this year and asked me to "wrap up my project." Bought what for me will be easier to manage 944 and sold the '83.

What would I do different? Well it woulda been easier having a car with less needs than the '83 but I had a lot of fun learning. I still plan on doing suspension and other changes to the 87 and getting it to how I would really like it, but I have a car that I can drive and enjoy now, that won't need as much of my time in the near future. Less painfull on Lisa's eyes as well - VERY important!!

Michael
Old 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM
CHEERS944
Instructor

Why: Dad got me into German cars early (had many, many VWs), and got his first p-car 10(?) yrs ago - a blue '76 911 turbo look, targa top. Beautiful! Got into PCA...DEs, autox, etc. I've been hanging around/working at the track for so long now, and everyone always asked me "when are you going to drive?" Or better yet, "why doesn't dad let you drive his car?" So after many years of yearning to be out there having as much fun as everyone else, I finally bought my 944 this past June. Chose this model for several reasons...value for the dollar, great first track car - balance, handling, etc. And this particular car because P.O. is a fellow PCA/rennlister (HI Nick!) who kept the car in great condition, w/all records, and had done alot of the usual maintenance requirements. Plus, she's so CUTE!!

Regrets: Not getting my $h!t together earlier! I have had the desire, and the fulfillment was a long time coming...but now that I've finally made it, I'm completely hooked. I love reading all these websites, learning about the cars, and even doing some projects to it myself.

I HAVE ARRIVED IN P-CAR HEAVEN!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 09:01 PM
H2OJazz
Rennlist Member

OK, just turned 50 (feels really old looking at these posts). Never could afford the "cool" cars as a kid (you know, the GTOs, camaros, etc. all the jocks drove, I was a "band ***"). Years later after music schools and used pintos and the like, I got my first cool car, an 84 VW GTI (way fun!). Later a 1st generation MR2. 7 years ago bought the 944.

Living well is the best revenge.

First considered the 944 after an article in Car and Driver. A writer stated they had bought 'cause they could be had cheap, handled great, etc. I immediately began working on the wife. Eventually saved and bought my '88 NA after looking at MANY beat up examples. Since then I've become a DE fan and am looking to move to a 968 or possibly S2 next year (that's a lotta gigs to play).

The car is beautiful and beautifully crafted. I don't baby it and feel comfortable at 119K miles jumping in it for a 700 round trip.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did I buy my 1987 951 this July past? Why the hell not! I am a driver not a passanger. My dad never had cool cars, just big old lincolns. I have always loved exotics/fast cars. German cars seem to fit me best, I've owned GTI's Scirocco's, BMW's and Porsches. I remember my first ride in a german car, 1987 GTI. A guy who worked for my dad left it at our house whilst him and my dad were away on a trip. I borrowed the keys and went for a quick familiar drive; approaching the quick S-bend in the road, I thought, "If I can take this bend at 120km/h in a mini van, surely I can in this GTI" Well I guess thats when the Fahrvergnugen hit me 'cause I remember wearing a **** eatin' grin for the rest of the jaunt. An 87 Porsche 951 is simply a logical progression for a middle class driving enthusiast. When I was studing in University, I promised myself I'd have a porsche by the time I was 30, so 32 ain't bad if you factor I or rather my wife had two kiddies in the last three years. BTW I tried a poor man's Porsche version last year(nissan 240sx) and there truly is no substitute.

What would I do different? skip the 240sx!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:46 PM
WhoDak
Instructor

P-Car: '82 924 n/a I picked up in April of this year.

Why: I was looking for a summer driver since my truck was getting up there in miles, I wanted something to save it's miles in the summer for the winter driving. I also had never done anything on a car but change brake pads before, so I wanted something I could learn some basic things with on and have some fun with. Like 951North, I started looking at 240's and 280's in the winter, got turned on to the 924's when a friend of mine said, what about some early 80's Porsches and linked me to this gaurds red 87 924. I researched every aspect of these cars, learned a lot reading old posts on the 924board, decided it was time and started searching, found one in Grand Rapids, drove up, trailered it home. About 2 months later it was reliable and it's been my daily driver(as long as it doesn't rain) all summer and through the fall! Can't get enough.

Regrets: Save up until this fall and get an '87 or '88, I've been gleaming for a smoother 2.5l lately. Oh well, don't have the money now.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:14 PM
hderr
Rennlist Member

1. Age 57

2. My first and lasting memory was a hot summer ride from Binghamton, NY to Greek Peak Ski area in the back seat of what must have been a 356. I was probably about 7 years old. My Dad's friend, who owned the car, drove it up the ski slope (I'm guessing not a black diamond) to the top of the mountain. I don't remember much about the ride up other than it was rather bouncy and he was happy he hadn't been caught (ya would have to know him to fully understand). I've always had a Porsche on my list, and still wish I had one.

My son has an 85.5 944 and he let's me put $$$ into it, turn a wrench on it and drive it once an awhile. In the meantime I'm looking for something after 85.5 in red.

3. Regrets, I should have keep the 944 for myself and wish I still had my 1968 850 Fiat Spyder that I bought new or the 64 MG midget I traded. Imagine 49.9 cubic inches, 817 cc.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 PM
89AZ944
Racer

1) Age: This side of 40

2) Why: My father used to go on and on about one day buying an old Alfa Romero convertible when he retired and just spending the weekends taking it on the back roads. He passed away at 50 (I was 18). My great aunt (who passed away at age 94) told me that she always wanted a pickup truck to scoot around town in, and always regretted not buying one when she had the chance.

2a) Why 944: Always liked Porsche, especially the mid 80's Whale Tail 911's. Loved the 928s in the Risky Business and Weird Science movies. Best friend in high school had the Porsche poster with all the models on it and it inspired me. Kept an eye out for used 928, but they were still pricey. Found Rennlist, started comparing all Porsche for sale in my area. Found Bill Underwood's page: http://www.944-world.com/ and slowly got hooked. Conventional wisdom (stuff on the web) seemed to say that a 944 had fewer service headaches than a 928 so I started looking for a 944.

Test drove a 84 that was in horrible shape, missed out on purchasing a near perfect 86 NA by 12 hours. Bought a Nissan pickup instead beacuse it was practical. Changed jobs, moved to AZ, put the Porsche plan on the back burner, but still kept an eye on the 944s for sale. Fate struck and I had a heart attack and required angioplasty and heart stents at age 36 (I have a single vessel in my heart that is damaged and did not know it). Decided that life is too short (sorry for the cliche) and if I had the money, then I was going to buy a Porsche, practicality be dammned. Got the money together and started looking for a 85.5 or later 944 with a light interior that was not painted white or black (that combination is harder to find than you would think) I found a glacier blue one, test drove it, got the PPI, paid cash the next day. Been loving it ever since (except for finding the stupid things the P.O. did).

3) Go Back: I would buy from a Rennlister or PCA type person. That way you might pay a little more, but you would have a car that you know was taken care of. I put WAY too much faith in the "low mileage" of my car and now realize that these engines can take well over 200,000 miles when properly maintained.

If you see a goof in a silver/blue 944 waving at you in PHX it's probably me....

Brad E.
98AZ944
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
GOSANE
Banned

age, 52

Sportscars just put a smile on my face. The Brit and three Italian sportscars I've owned just kept breaking. I finally got hooked on German cars and the rest is history.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 89AZ944
1)
If you see a goof in a silver/blue 944 waving at you in PHX it's probably me....

Brad E.
98AZ944
I'll be sure to wave, but I see so few 944's in Phx that it's hard to believe how many there are everywhere else. I really like the fact that they are rare enough that most people don't even know what they are. 924's are also rare, 968's are practically unseen.

So do Porsche drivers wave at each other? It seems like when I was a kid you couldn't pass another Jeep driver without a wave, now I feel bad when a fellow Jeep driver waves and I miss it. I wonder how many of us like to go off-roading also... sorry, that subject needs another post.

Keep the stories coming

Kevin
Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

just turned 39

I'm 22 at heart though.
I hate when I get reminded of my age by 20ish women.

Why do I drive a 944: My truck was getting repo'd, out of work with a $1800 rent on my loft in LA, so a friend of mine had this 944 that he sold to me for $800 and a tanning bed ( $1500) and I have been in love ever since... in fact I think it has surpased my marriage ( I think that only lasted 2 years ).

It's the first of many.

Don
Old 09-29-2005, 06:59 PM
89AZ944
Racer

Kevin-

I waved at a Red 944 last night at 6:00 turning at the corner of Warner and McClintock. Most of the 944 drivers around here wave back and some of the 911 drivers. There are more 944s in PHX than you think (Check out the 944 spec page: http://944spec.com/ ).
Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 PM
aben8057
Drifting

36 here

Why Porsche, well it started by picking up a magazine when I was 11. The picture was of a guards red 930, the curves, the power..pure sex on wheels. As I grew older and went through the common cars...mustangs, bmw, mb but something was missing.

Hence the Porsche..great people also compliments the product line.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:05 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

just turned 24
i collected hotwheels/matchbox cars and my favorite were always porsches. when i got my license, i started looking for muscle/classic cars. i was trying to get as many model kits of porsches i could, and the first porsche one i bought was a 944. i was given a ride in my friend's dad's mustang, and needed to get one......i had two at one time, and traded a classic mustang for my 944, and have had it for 4 years now. i prefer mustangs because my 944 doesnt have any power.
things i would do differently: get one that didnt have so ****ty of a piant job. wish i had a computer to know of the typical problems with these cars.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Zporsche944
Racer

Just turned 16
Why 944? I have no idea I just stumbled on one... I was looking for a nice affordable sports car... and the Porsche 944 is that and so much more...
I’m I the only one who has a Dad who hates Porsche and would never think of buying one? lol

Quick Reply: How old are we? Why do we own our cars?