Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old are we? Why do we own our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Age: 31 Currently on my 3rd midlife crisis, dating a young girl keeps me young. lol

Why?: I can't imagine not owning a Porsche, it'd be like not owning a computer, or a tv, it just doesn't seem right. I have been driving Porsches, or trying to since age 3. Of course I did no driving at that age but my dad started teaching me at that age. He was racing a 914 during those days. Being surrounded by them so young is why I have always owned some sort of Porsche.

More specifically why a 951? Because the first 944 I drove was a Turbo S when I was 16 and I fell in love. I had driven plenty of 911's and 914's before then but the Turbo S had something unique that seemed an exact match for my driving style. I felt like the car was made just for me.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I'm 23 and i've owned my car for 3 years now. I have always been around sports cars in some way since I was a child so I guess it left an impression. My cousin had Porsches. I clearly remember seeing a WIDE 911 one day when I was a child and thinking.... IIIIEEEWWWWW whats wrong with that car! Its sooo wide?? Little did I know it planted the seed that became a lifestyle. I saw my first 944 a little while later and knew that was me! The 944 will always be my dream car. It has my favorite interior and my favorite exterior lines.

I have always done what I felt was right and lived the way I wanted. So I didn't wait. I bought a Porsche young. Best move I ever made. For many reasons.

What would I do different....nothing. Probably bought IceShark's battery cable kit on day 1 instead of this year, but hey, live and learn! What I need to do different is drive it more! My area and driving needs are really not ideal for any sports car, so it only seems special events and exceptional days.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 AM
FletchDM
Instructor

1) 31 years.

2) I drooled over these cars when I was too young to drive. This one was sitting dormant in my sister's driveway when my previous car was stolen. She made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Found Rennlist. Changed belts, front seals and engine mounts myself. What a fantastic year it has been with this car!

3) Find one with fewer dents. Mechanical repairs are much cheaper/easier than bodywork and paint. On that note, don't bother talking to "mechanics" about the vibration at idle; just change the engine mounts straight away.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:57 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wanted a vette.. dad told me to get a porsche..

i have 2 now.. both dont work.. im trying despereatly to get one going..
I love the 944 though, i hate driving something that other people have.. dont see too many 944s on the streets
Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

21.. the car was bought new by my father. My brother inherited it; but after spending some serious maintenance money he wanted something newer. Hence, it came to me with some cash and trading. I think I may just keep it in the family if I can.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:48 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

im 21 and on my 4th porsche.my first a black 84 944,2nd 84 gold 928,3rd black 83 944,4th 87 blue 951.last 3 are still owned and the first was lost in an accident.i got the first 944 when i was 17 and i fell in love with porsches ever since,well maybe earlier because my dad owned a yellow 924 back in his day(brand new too) and i think my grandpa owned a grey 944.so its pretty much in my blood.im a 3rd gen porsche lover.i also love my porsches because they area different from the bunch around here.alot of my friends and they're friends and whoever know me lable me as the guy with da porsche!ahahahaha.i love my porsches!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:08 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris,Would be glad to have you stop by.If you into football to Hall of Fame is great,worth a stop.As for seeing the BABY,you have.I was at Fest 03,not noticed much due to Perry's 951 rebuild.Son-in-law and I were both there on Sunday morning just when everyone was looking for some "help".Enjoyed the whole thing,drove at speeds I've never seen before(70)ha! I did meet you and Patty that day,I was the old man with the gray beard.Not to old to enjoy a great car and youth at its best.Again anyone in this area is welcome to stop.Drop me a line(pm) for directions... FRED
Old 09-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

1) 30 years old. Bought first 944 at 22.

2) Daily transport. Wanted a good mix of sporty/reliable/quality/safety/practicality/economy/rust resistance/you get the idea. Never dreamed of or cared for 944s growing up, although I did appreciate them.

3) When I got my first one, if possible I would have found someone who owned and maintained an excellent example to mentor me in my purchase. But I didn't know anyone like that, and few people will take seriously a 21-22 year old who looks 17. When the opportunity has arisen to mentor a potential 944 buyer, young or old, I have always offered my help, and will continue to do so.

- TK
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

OK, I'm back from the dead... project never got off the ground last year, but looks promising this time around. (fingers crossed)

1) 22 Y O

2) Why? There is no substitute. First off, the car's been in the family since 1988. Some doctor dude owned it for about a year until a relative picked it up, only to be sold to my aunt a few years ago. Since then, it's been a daily driver (driven into the ground by my uncle because he has no clue about vehicle maintenance, I'm surprised the t-belt hasn't let go yet). I'm getting it as soon as they get a new car and it's getting a full overhaul at that point. But I have driven it before and there just no other feeling quite like driving a Porsche, even if it is the 924/944 series. All I can remember is a well-balanced drift somewhere in suburbia.

I grew up surrounded by euro cars, including my mom's old Opel GT. Shame I was too young to realize how cool it was when she finally got rid of it. Heck, we've got 3 Jetta's at home.

3) Regrets? Talk to me after the rebuild.

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 09-28-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Car: 87 924S
Story: I have always wanted a 944. My dad bought a 1979 924 back in 1980. He had that til about 83 then bought a new black 944. It was a nice car. Had minimal problems. He logged over 200,000 miles and he wanted to get a different one because the clutch was going and it needed the belts done. I was really young when he had it. All I remember is it having nice fuchs on it and it was black. He bought a silver 944 put the fuchs on that. I fell in love with that one instantly. It was by far my favorite car. I told my parents I was going to save up for a Porsche and when I turned 18 I was going to go out and buy one. Never happened bought a bike instead. Parents wouldn't let me get a Porsche. Last summer my dad bided on a parts car it was a 924S. It didn't run. I hated 924's before this but it close to 944. So me and him worked on it and got it running.

When I get a real job first two cars I'm are my Dad's 944 put a 5 speed in it, and a 944 turbo for a fun car.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Car: 91 944-S2
Why:
I've wanted a Porsche since I was 8. When my wife and I were dating (years ago), I even said that one day I'd own a Porsche.

Last year, at a family event, I met the far end of her family tree, Vaughan Scott (also a rennlister), and we started talking about PCA DEs. Took my Grand Prix out there, and the track didn't agree with it. Started looking at 944's (can't afford a 911 IMHO).

Grandfather's estate was cleared, and some mad money came my way, started looking at better 944s, and found my S2. Karmic sense in a way, he bought me my first Porsche when I was 8 (matchbox size).

So here I am. Got a good and solid, but high-milage, 944-S2, building it up for DEs and planning on keeping it forever.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Good thread!

Why: I've loved Porsches since I was a wee lad. My favorite Hot Wheels cars were always the Porsches. My car nut father was kind enough to fill my room with 1:18 sports car models, posters, etc....Porsches, Jags, Ferraris, Vettes were my constant companions growing up. I learned to drive in a '79 Vette and bought my first 944, an 85.5, from a friend's brother. I loved it intensely for 3 years, then sold it for something more practical for college.

After going to college and graduate school and getting established in the world, I casually started looking for another Porsche. I looked at dozens of 944's, 951's, 928's, and 911's. I didn't really care what I found...I just wanted the best car for my money. I ended up finding my lovely '86 944 and the rest is history...rejoined PCA, found Rennlist, etc. Now I know that I will never be without at least one Porsche in my garage.

Regrets: None with cars. If you care for them, they'll take care of you. My only desire is a bigger garage (and a little more money) so that I can bring home all the P-cars that I find. Why drive something boring? In a Porsche, every day is special.

Future: I don't know...I'd like to own a 911, so I'm sorta looking at type 964 Carrera 4's. 968's are cool just because they're the ultimate 944. I love 928's too, just because of the design and amazing engine. The next might have an automatic as my beautiful, patient future wife dislikes driving a manual. There are tons of good cars out there....you just have to patient!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Currnet Age 31.

Why?

My father had 66 912 back in the late 60's and love it. Ran the car into the ground and sold it when rust became an issue. He always talked about the car and taping the lights and going to Lime Rock to run on the track.

When I was 16 he found an 87 924S for sale and bought it. It was to be my car. I drove it little and treated it like gold. I put maybe 3k miles on it before I went to college. I was sad to leave it at home, but it was for the best.

Then 4 years later I finally get to drive the car some. Until one day my father was driving it and got into a wreck. No more 924S...

Then I began looking for replacement. Considered the 911SC, but instead fell in love the 951. Got my 88 Turbo S in 1997.

Over the years my father and I got back into Porsche's and have had a few over the years. We eventually took the wrecked 924S and an old beat 84 and built a race car out of them. We do all our own work on the cars and I have aquired a number other cars as parts donors for my race car.

We have stuck with 944 family of cars instead of 911's simply due to value.
911's are nice, but the price and performance of 944 just surpases the 911 cars. You really get so much more for your money with the 944 series.

For me to replace my Stock 951S would take alot more money that it is worth just to keep it. I race my 944 NA since it really is tough to race any porsche for less than what it takes to run the 944.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Why: My first car in 1975 was a 1960 VW beetle which I still own 31 years later. Have loved German cars since. Porsches have always been the ultimate German car so I naturaly always wanted one. I have owned a muscle car, 1970 SS 454 Chevelle, but I came to the conclusion that straight line is a drag. There is nothing like the addrenelin rush of a spirited run on a mountain road in a Porsche.

What #1: 1985 purchased an early 1985 944 NA. Still have 21 years later. When I went car shopping at the Porsche dealership, I intended to buy a 911. Once I saw the wonderful shape that is a 944 I was hooked. Also my new wife at the time (still have 22 years later) did not like small cars. So my method of swaying her was to say "look honey, a Porsche station wagen". I know, sounds bad but it worked. We traded in a VW Rabit Convertible (with bilsteins) for it.

What #2: 2002 purchased a 1986 944 Turbo with 60k on the odometer. My lovely wife calls this vehicle "my hobby". I have driven it approx 18,000 miles in the 4 years that I have owned it. That includes the 2,000 miles that I put on it driving it home from Chicago (purchased on E-Bay) to California. It sits in the garage while I repair, replace, modify, wash, polish and restore it. Life is good.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Age 43

1986 n/a 944, India Red with black interior (leather seats, woo!), po chipped and short shifter, purchased a month ago from a seller in Ohio (of course).

First pcar was a 1979 924 with an aftermarket turbo I should have never purchased (got it on whim; late '80s or early 90's). I should have saved my money and purchased a new (or at least newer) 944 and kept it.

Love the looks and handling of the 944, don't need the power for the way I currently drive it. I'm using this as a daily driver and when it comes time for an engine rebuild/repaint, I'm hoping my boys will be old enough to help/learn.

No wrench turners on my side of the family, so I'm learning by reading, paying attention, asking, etc. and hope to be able to teach my kids how to take care of a car (and hope there's still gas when they're old enough to drive!)

Quick Reply: How old are we? Why do we own our cars?