Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How judge the condition of an S2 cam chain tensioner pad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel lucky, replace just the upper pad.

That said, the tensioners lose their ability to keep the chain tensioned. I recommend, for peace of mind, to replace the tensioner at 60K miles, and replace the tensioner and chain at 120K miles.

When you look at the cost of a head and labor, the price of the tensioner is dirt cheap.

gb
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

The tensioner keep tension on the chain is probably a function of how well the tensiorer springs are holding up. Part of the indicated procedure is to press down on the tensioner to relieve the tension on the chain to do the repair. Wouldn't this be a check to make sure that the tensioner is doing that properly?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:45 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Parts arrived today so it was time to remove the cam chain tensioner and closely inspect the pads. I was right. The top pad has a crack that was 1/2 through the width of the pad, towards the left side of the car. I'm glad that I'm going to replace that one this week. If it would have cracked, the entire pad would have been thrown around under the valve cover area, and really messed things up.

The bottom pad looked a little bit worn, but has no cracks whatsoever, so I feel pretty safe in replacing the top pad.

One hint that I'd give everyone reading this thread: take the thing apart first, get the correct model numbers, and order by those numbers. It's not safe to assume that there is only one version of the part.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:59 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
If it would have cracked, the entire pad would have been thrown around under the valve cover area, and really messed things up.
Not only that, then the tensioner would have moved up into the chain, the pad mount would engage the chain, the chain would pull the entire tensioner with aluminun mount and a part of #2 spark plug tube off the head, the tensioner would then travel over to the intake cam and strip several teeth off the cam and some teeth would be stripped off the exhaust cam as well.

All this has happend to listers here and my po. I have found six of those teeth loose in my engine.
Good thing you replaced the pad!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you replacing the gasket, spark plug seals, and maybe the bolt grommets?
Use new crush washers.
Re-torque all bolts properly. I used anti-sieze.
My tensioner was not working right - I never was able to compress it.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

The valve cover gasket was already sealing correctly (no leaking), so I think that I'll leave that in, and see what happens. If it ends up leaking I can replace it later.

The spark plug seals were tight and a devil to get off, so I figure they are good and tight, the bolt grommets look pretty new. If I find out that they leak, I can always replace them later as well.

I'll have to get some anti-seize and put it on all the bolts.

My tensioner move easily with what appears to be a good spring rate to it, so I'm going to leave it for now.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Well, it's all together now. Brand spanking new top cam chain tensioner pad. Didn't get a chance to run it after I got it put back together, but tonight I'm going to go to the gas station and fill it up.

Yea!
Old 09-09-2005, 03:58 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was pretty easy, right!?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Yes it sure was. The procedure here was much easier than the one on Clark's garage, but that was including replacing the chain, with which you really would have to re-time the values. Glad I didn't have to go that far into it.

Thanks for all you guys help. Hope I can help you in the future. (Got a computer problem? PM or email me. Been doing them for 20 years).
Old 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MAC's, or PC's ??
Old 09-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
One hint that I'd give everyone reading this thread: take the thing apart first, get the correct model numbers, and order by those numbers. It's not safe to assume that there is only one version of the part.
There's more than one tensioner?

Why don't you just give them the right number?
Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
MAC's, or PC's ??
PC's. Linux (mail, www, firewall, DNS, Samba, etc.), Windows XP, LAN and WAN networking, C++, shell scripts, etc. You email me at echohome.org and it's a Linux machine in my basement on a cable modem, but you can't tell.
Originally Posted by Peckster
There's more than one tensioner?Why don't you just give them the right number?
In an S2, there is the 944 ever present cam belt tensioner, as well as the exhaust cam to intake cam chain tensioner. I order the cam chain tensioner's upper nylon pad. Apparently there are two applicable Porsche part numbers. One is a 944, and the other is a 928. Mine part was a 928 part number, and I didn't know it at the time when I ordered it (always disassemble and record part numbers before ordering?). So I got the 944 numbered pad, and it didn't fit. I needed the 928 numbered part. A quick phone call, and it got straightened out. 944online.com is really good that way. Jason and Ian are taking good care of me, and have been.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:10 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

So far so good. The vavle cover gasket is holding and not dripping, and there is no oil getting out by the bolt grommets. I think I'm set.

One thing that I did notice during this is that the lower pad had some grooves, but no cracks. I'd like to reaplce just that sometime soon in the future, but have been unable to find a place that sells that particular part. Does anyone know of where I might be able to buy the lower can chain tensioner pad from? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:49 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Others have made the attempt to purchase just the lower pad. They have all disappeared into jungle that goes by the name, "you can't buy that inexpensive Porsche part without buying this expensive Porsche part", never to be seen again.

The lower pad comes attached to the ~$300 tensioner.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:52 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Bummer. If I find someone making the lower pad, or equivalent, I'll be sure to let everyone here know about it.

Quick Reply: How judge the condition of an S2 cam chain tensioner pad?