Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paragon is now carrying 944 Manual Steering bits

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say there is no sense in paying money to get manual steering if your power steering works
Well, I guess as usual, I make no sense.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tifo, no disrespect ment by the comment or to anyone else who has a manual rack. I have driven manual 944s before and i like the feel and all that but that is just my opinion that paying close to 1000 for that extra little feel of the road isn't really worth it for MOST people who just drive their cars on the street. Mine has almost gotten me in trouble a couple of times when you drive over some ice or a rock very slow with the wheel turned...it rips the wheel pretty hard out of your hands.

again to each his own, i dont mind having manual steering to be honest if i had an actual manual rack i would like it more than the old powersteering but i just ment that there is probably better bang for the buck thigns you can do for 720 bucks
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

So many reasons to go with a manual rack over the power rack.

Keep in mind that a power rack without power is nothing like a true manual rack.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefiveone

Keep in mind that a power rack without power is nothing like a true manual rack.
Amen to that! I know a lot of people chime in and state that their disabled power racks are the same, and yet...................................they are not.

It's not for everyone though. But I like it. I like it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalot.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
Cool -- they even seperately offer those manual tie rods for late offset cars! Last time I checked (a year ago) noone could even special-order these puppies.
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...347.033.03.htm
Maybe they weren't trying hard enough. Honestly, these parts are not easy to get for anyone - and, none of us know how much longer they'll be available. No pressure though...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tifosiman
It's not for everyone though. But I like it. I like it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalot.
That's good - 'cause they cost aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalot.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andre
Mine has almost gotten me in trouble a couple of times when you drive over some ice or a rock very slow with the wheel turned...it rips the wheel pretty hard out of your hands.
You know, I have read that same kind of statement made by a few different people, but I have never actually experienced that myself. I have had an actual manual rack on my car for a few years now and have never had an issue where anything on the road cause the wheel to feel it was about to jerk out of my hands. And on the roads up here in NE Ohio, that should happen a lot.

Do I like manual steering? Yes, very much. Is it a ton better than power steering? No, not even close. It is a totally different feel and takes some getting used to. The ratios are slightly different, which is kind of a bummer, but the feedback you get about what the front wheels are doing more than makes up for it.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manning,

It is probably because you have an actual manual rack. After driving mine for about a year with a dry power rack i drove an actual manual rack and didn't believe it was manual. Its a lot different. Like you said the ratio is different so a dry power rack is ALOT harder to turn and when 1000 pounds in the front is pushing down onto the wheel and trying to straighten it out against a rock and you are holding on with one hand it kills the thumb sometimes.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The following is just my humble opinion. I have 2 944 Race Cars. One, an 83 with manual steering and the other a 87 944S. I like the manual ok, but it is not worth it to me to pay what people are asking for manual setups. Wes1951: To change that thing out plus all the parts you would have to buy. Remember the offset is different on the two cars, so steering arms would have to be changed on both. I don't know what Ian wants for them but Vertex wants $95 apiece for them.

Also remember that power steering is a little quicker, and that is what makes it so hard to turn the wheel when the power steering isn't working. I'll bet Andre has some big muscles from using that power steering on manual. (By the way, does anyone know if that messes up a power steering box to use it manually)

Anyway, I know it would be cheaper to find a good used power steering box for a heck of a lot cheaper that it would cost to change to manual. I know that for sure, because I have an extra one, in excellent condition that I bought for $100.

Remember, this is just my opinion, and don't mean to make anyone angry, but I don't think manual steering is worth the money, and remember I have race cars, and I don't think there is any advantage there either, much less on the street.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 08-02-2005, 05:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well
Look at it this way. A bad power steering rack alone will cost you $530. Manual Rack is $350. Then figure in tie rods and the 750 does not see so bad.

Really the best thing is to fine a used rack and refresh the other tie rods, etc.

I really perfer the manual rack for track use. The feel back is much much better. The power is better on daily driver. I currently have a manual rack on my race car and on my stock 83 autocross car. I had power rack on my 84 that daily drove and on one on my turbo S. I probably won't put a manual rack on my turbo S.

Still it is nice to see paragon offering the parts.

Bill you can get the longer late offset tie-rods now from paragon. Pricy, but no need to swap arms.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M758, thanks for the info. I sure won't dispute your statement on the steering feel. But, I doubt that I am a good enough driver to tell the difference. As a matter of fact I know I am not good enough, because they both feel the same at speed, to me. It's just easier to line up for grid, with the power steering.

Bill
Old 08-02-2005, 11:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill,
I ran my 944 with power rack unpowered for long time. It was ok on track, but a bear in the pits. The proper manual rack is 100% better in the pits and gives awesome feedback on track. It really allows me hold the car on the limit because I feel the tires gripping/not gripping the road.

Plus I had my powersteering adjuster break at the track and figured with manual that is one less thing to possible break.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:31 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

thanx tifo!!!!just what i need,another reason to pour money in to the 951!!!hahahahahah
Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good for Paragon. If they keep responding to the 944/968 community needs, they'll become the preferred vendor for most owners.

Harvey
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hughett
Good for Paragon. If they keep responding to the 944/968 community needs, they'll become the preferred vendor for most owners.

Harvey
Wow, Harvey - that'd be great. Tell me more of your fiendish plan...

Last edited by Skip; 08-03-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Paragon is now carrying 944 Manual Steering bits