Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK How does the auto tensioner work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK How does the auto tensioner work?

It says to remove the bolt closest to the spring.
I have done that. Now what? Is the upper part of the tensioner supposed to move?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say don't remove it completely...loosen it, and the other one...that'll free it up.

Then, adjust, tighten one of em to hold it, measure tension, if it's good tighten the second. if not, repeat...
Old 07-09-2005, 03:07 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

What part of the tensioner moves?
I have removed the bolt and the nut on the top part of the tensioner and nothing is moving. What am I missing?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those things are evil. I say delete it completely.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7thStranger
It says to remove the bolt closest to the spring.
I have done that. Now what? Is the upper part of the tensioner supposed to move?

Thanks.

I just did a belt change on a '88 924s last weekend. First time dealing with a spring tensioner. There are 3 bolts that bolt the entire unit to the front of the engine. Then there are two bolts that lock up the swing out of the tensioner part thats under spring tension. In order to remove the belt, you need to loosen the one lock bolt, and the other lockbolt going thru the slotted portion of the unit, then you'll find there are two holes in the front of tensioner swing out portion that you can use the pin wrench (same one that you use to hold the balance shaft sprockets) to swing it up out of the way to give room to get the belt off, and snug up those bolts again. Durring re-assembly, just loosen both those bolts, the tensioner SHOULD swing back out, putting the "correct" tension on the belt, then re-torque both the lockbolts for it. Clark's garage does have some info on this procedure. The tensioner I was dealing with last weekend, did not want to swing out under the spring tension worth a darn. It was very sticky and inconsistant. Watch out for this condition. Clean up that tensioner unit good. You don't have to "remove" any of those bolts completely, if all your doing is changing the belts, or if you need to remove unit for cleaning it up. Remember, this is the first time, I've dealt with these spring tensioners. Good luck, it will make sense to ya when ya really take a good look at it.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:07 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that was the info I was looking for.

All of the write ups i have read don't really deal with this that much. I was thinking the tensioner should move easily, I'll use the sprocket tool.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:39 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you guys know why Porsche went to the auto tensioner if they don't really do automatic tensioning (from what I understand)

The rollers were very easy to work with

Quick Reply: OK How does the auto tensioner work?