Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signals Lights WTF!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:47 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rads2
I had the same problem on my S, I checked everything and it turned out to be a stupid light bulb. It wasn't burnt, but it was wrong. On the bottom of the bulb you supposed to have two "bumps" like in the picture. I had only one “bump", changed the bulbs and now it's good. Hope this helps, good luck.

Rad
The double filament 5/21 watt bulb above is only used for the front signals. The rear signals use a single filament bulb (or bump on the base as you described it).

I don't know how you jammed in a single filament bulb up front because they have a different bayonet arrangement so people don't make these dumb mistakes.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my 86, both of the front signal lights had 1156's in them (single filament bulbs), no idea how they got them in there, since they were absolutely brutal to get out. It would appear that the staggered bumps on the base aren't effective enough!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Boricua944
Pro

Yes the hazards do work fine. So all the sockets in the rear taillight assembly use single filament bulbs? just checking so i can go buy all new bulbs.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM
rads2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
The double filament 5/21 watt bulb above is only used for the front signals. The rear signals use a single filament bulb (or bump on the base as you described it).

I don't know how you jammed in a single filament bulb up front because they have a different bayonet arrangement so people don't make these dumb mistakes.
It was the previous owner that installed a single filament bulb, and the bulb fitment was perfect. But anyways, after checking relays, grounds, turn signal switch, hazard lights switch, I decided to change all the bulbs and that's where the problem was. Stupid as it sounds, I could've saved all this work and time if I checked the bulbs first
Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rads2
It was the previous owner that installed a single filament bulb, and the bulb fitment was perfect. But anyways, after checking relays, grounds, turn signal switch, hazard lights switch, I decided to change all the bulbs and that's where the problem was. Stupid as it sounds, I could've saved all this work and time if I checked the bulbs first
Originally Posted by IceShark
After replacing your blinker fluid, I'd give the relay a shot.

It is cheap (~$10) and you can get it at any auto parts store. Get an electronic one not the cheaper thermal type. Bring your old relay into the store and buy a replacement that has the same pin/leg configuration and the same leg numbers. Don't get a heavy duty one as those are for pulling trailers, ect., and lighting up a bunch of bulbs. They won't flash at the right speed in our cars.

I suspect the buzzing sound you hear may be the relay. The other thing to check is if the hazzard function works. That is on a seperate circuit inside the relay and if the hazzards do work then the relay is bad for sure, though there may be something else going on due to you monkeying around with the switch.
Excellent advice fellas. Very common sense (which is why I haven't figured my turn signal problem out since I bought it 2 years ago ;-). I think I have enough info to diagnose my problem finally.

My signals do the same as the others in this post... they will "buzz" sometimes and not blink and just stay lit up and other times they will work fine. I'll have to try to hazard thing and see if it's the relay or not.

Thanks Again,
Cory

PS - Been on Rennlist for quite some time and I continue to learn new things and save money by self diagnosing my problems from the info I learn here. $18 is so cheap of a membership
Old 07-02-2005, 08:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

OK - Finally got a chance to drive my car to day. Had a wedding to go to. The hazards don't work either when the signals decide to not work. So what does that mean.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Boricua944
Pro

Got the car back for the body shop it was the bulbs lol... somthing sooo simple. so now my signals work BUT my brake lights dont work now...

Quick Reply: Signals Lights WTF!?!?!?