Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delete options, the budget kind

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Delete options, the budget kind

Ok, you may have read my post about my AC compressor issues, well go figure, my truck that i drive when my car is having downtime has clutch issues. i think when the PO had a cluth replaced, they didnt put a piece in there, long story short. its really hard to shift.

so i want my porsche back on the road.
i have had 2 other black vehicles without AC so this is a luxery i can live without, especially since im a poor college student working part time. i have seen some delete kits, but they run 150-160$ which kind of confuses me. can i just leave the compressor sitting there until i can afford a replacement, and buy a shorter belt that goes from the crank to the alternator? if i can, what size belt is it, and are they made readily available.

the delete kit on paragon sounds like its a bracket to fill where the compressor would be and thats all the belt does is go from the alternator to the crank.

OR, if any of you were in a similar situation, do you have a delete kit that you dont use anymore? because you were able to afford the compressor later?

i emailed 944online.com and a few other places about a used/rebuilt compressor, but its been a few days and no replies yet. so im getting antsy

thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't do a delete kit man. . . Those things are a cop-out. When I see one on anything other than a dedicated track car I just see it as evidence of an owner that really shouldn't own a Porsche. I don't mean that to be a put-down, but seriously - either fix it right or not at all. Show some pride in that beautiful specimen of automotive engineering you have! She'll thank you!

FWIW the Sanden compressors I mentioned earlier are apparently under 400 bucks on Vertex (new Rennlist sponsor). Usually they're in the $475-$550 range. I stumbled onto them the other day; check it out.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't do a delete kit man. . . Those things are a cop-out. When I see one on anything other than a dedicated track car I just see it as evidence of an owner that really shouldn't own a Porsche.
Yowza. I know plenty of 944/951/968 guys that have autox/DE cars that see street use that have AC delete brackets, including myself. Remember P-O-P, not all of us live in climates where AC is a must. I chose to delete my AC, it wasn't due to the general laziness that you just painted all of us with.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, I thought of deleting mine... It's never been recharged in 21 years and works great! I just don't use it when I have the huge sunroof and it's not a daily driver anyway.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

It kicks in for defrost use too remember. . . Hot dry air is a helluva lot more effective at defrosting the windows than hot wet air. . .

If you're seriously going to delete it "for weight considerations" then make sure that:

(1) you have the system professionally evacuated and the freon recovered - not just dumped into the atmosphere.

(2) delete the ENTIRE system - compressor, condenser, hoses, EVAPORATOR, etc. This will give you the maximum "weight savings" benefit.

(3) Get rid of the a/c button then. Or make it the button that launches the missiles. Whatever. Just don't have vestigial buttons that don't do anything. It's annoying and looks like you don't care about the car.

Sorry, I'm a bit **** about this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, if it's on there, it should work. If you're going to remove it, remove it ENTIRELY and remove the entire system. Don't do a half-assed job. That's all.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:02 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wizkid918

. can i just leave the compressor sitting there until i can afford a replacement, and buy a shorter belt that goes from the crank to the alternator? if i can, what size belt is it, and are they made readily available.
thanks in advance
A short belt is what I am using for the moment till I can get around to repairing the A/C, my A/C clutch sounded like it was going to explode !

I can post the number this afternoon, if you do a search, there was a post a few weeks ago, but the belt mentioned was too loose for my liking, so I went back to the autoparts store and found a perfect fit.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

I'm going to delete mine (using the full delete kit) simply because I never use it, and just want to get rid of as much stuff underhood as I can. My A/C doesn't work right now (siezed compressor is obvious, who knows what else is wrong), and I can't see fixing it when I know I'll never use it anyways. Resale value is of no concern to me either considering I'm already taking the short end of that stick on the N/A -> turbo conversion.

To answer the original poster's question. The 'cheap' way to do an A/C delete is the way my P.O. did it. Just disconnect the clutch on the A/C compresser. This will let you use the old belt, and the pulley will just freewheel on the A/C compressor. It's no doubt ghetto, and will not be approved by Porsche-O-Phile, but it will cost $0 and will allow you to address the issue in a few years when you graduate & have cash for a proper repair.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:09 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
It kicks in for defrost use too remember. . . Hot dry air is a helluva lot more effective at defrosting the windows than hot wet air. . .

If you're seriously going to delete it "for weight considerations" then make sure that:

(1) you have the system professionally evacuated and the freon recovered - not just dumped into the atmosphere.

(2) delete the ENTIRE system - compressor, condenser, hoses, EVAPORATOR, etc. This will give you the maximum "weight savings" benefit.

(3) Get rid of the a/c button then. Or make it the button that launches the missiles. Whatever. Just don't have vestigial buttons that don't do anything. It's annoying and looks like you don't care about the car.

Sorry, I'm a bit **** about this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, if it's on there, it should work. If you're going to remove it, remove it ENTIRELY and remove the entire system. Don't do a half-assed job. That's all.
I removed it because I don't use it, and it does simplify the engine bay. If I had the means to order the car new back in 1985.5, I would have ordered it as an AC delete. The weight savings was an added bonus. As is the *slight* amount (I know, debatable) of parasitic drag that is now gone.

YES, my entire system is deleted.

I'll tell you what, if you find me a heater control unit from a non-AC late car, I would happily swap that in. That is the only way to decently get rid of the AC button.

If it makes you happy, yes, when I deleted my power mirrors for the 968CS units, I did source switch blanks to fill in the switch holes.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

U da' man! Attention to detail is what it's all about!

Were non-a/c cars even an option on these?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
U da' man! Attention to detail is what it's all about!

Were non-a/c cars even an option on these?

Yep, although very very very rare. Here is what the heater control module looks like. The AC button is a re-circ button. Also notice the temperature dial is different.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Yep, although very very very rare. Here is what the heater control module looks like. The AC button is a re-circ button. Also notice the temperature dial is different.
Is that something you can even get anymore? If so...for less than the price of an OE A/C delete car? That would certainly be a nice final touch.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Can you post a straight on close up shot of your climate control panel?
or email me. TIA
I am really interested in the color change on the temperature side as well as general layout....this is the same setup as Cup cars IIRC.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Can you post a straight on close up shot of your climate control panel?
or email me. TIA
I am really interested in the color change on the temperature side as well as general layout....this is the same setup as Cup cars IIRC.
It's not my panel (but I would like to have one). This is the same climate control unit as found on cup cars.

Is that something you can even get anymore? If so...for less than the price of an OE A/C delete car? That would certainly be a nice final touch.
Good luck. I have yet to find one for sale, and I have been looking for awhile........
Old 05-16-2005, 04:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
It might be available from Porsche... But if the plain unit is $400 or 500USD from them, then a much rarer unit would prolly be MUCH pricier.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

i installed a broadfoot racing ac delete bracket and am slowly removing the entire system - you can find used brackets or look on ebay for marked ones...now i agree that the bracket is overpriced but after heaving out the ~20lb a/c compressor and seeing the additional room that i know have to work on the engine i'll agree that it is worth it

as for keep the a/c or you shouldn't be owning the car unless it is for the track only i completely disagree with...if you recall the 944 came without a/c in Europe...now there are those of us who live up north and don't require a/c...even more so my 944 is not my daily driver but my "fun" car that i'm using to learn on and hopefully do some PCA racing or 44 Cup (i do run errands in it but bought it to enjoy)...i've also removed the entire stereo system as I don't want it...i only want to listen to the engine and the car...that is music to my ears

i have removed a/c from other cars including my old CRX (which i used for driving schools) and can tell you the reduction in 50+ lbs makes a noticeable difference especially in turning the car...i'm hoping to get the same effect with the 944

Quick Reply: AC Delete options, the budget kind