Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Remanufactured Engine Wiring Harness for 944/951 (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/192904-remanufactured-engine-wiring-harness-for-944-951-a.html)

hosrom_951 08-13-2005 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Yes - the new harness will have all the proper ohms and values. More so than even your current harness probably does as it corrodes - it gains resistance.

We thought we had found the attached connector - but the 944/951 parts catalog is wrong - can any one of you owners tell me where this one is used?

That is also used for the oxygen sensor

ftanguay 08-14-2005 05:40 AM

the connector in the photo is a Cannon Sure seal

http://www.ittcannon.com/products/products.asp?pid=1015

ehall 08-16-2005 03:19 AM

bump i'm in for one. That connector is also the same as that used on the break pad sensors as I recall.

Carl Fausett 08-28-2005 08:28 PM

Progrerss note: Getting a single 24-pin connector has been a real pain-in-the-fanny. How long have we been working on this? 3 months? You would not believe how many calls we have made about this. So we are changing to somthing new - a 14-pin connector for all 20GA wires in the harness, and a 8-pin copnnector for all the bigger wires. These are much easier to get a hold of (we think). Carl

Carl Fausett 10-02-2005 06:10 PM

Progress: I had the MOLEX and AMP rep in our shop on Friday to look over our application and help me locate the missing gang connectors to make this happen. I have been screaming at Molex for 4 months for you guys - somehow we were between the cracks on this... now I have their attention.

The connectors they brought with them to show me for our 944/951 harness look terrific - I just have to place my order now.

We're close!

Geo 10-02-2005 06:28 PM

As someone pulling his wiring harness right now I can say this is awesome.

Are you going to have the correct color combination wires?

ibkevin 10-02-2005 07:01 PM

That's good news Carl, thank's.

theedge 10-02-2005 07:17 PM

Those SureSeal ones look bang on.

Carl, these ones youre getting to replace that 24 pin one, are they standard off the shelf parts or are they making a batch of some sort for you?

I ask because im about to start making my own harness this week, and that connector is the only one where I have to re-use the "shell" of it, now that ftanguay posted the source for the O2 one.

And no, nothing wrong with your product, im redoing mine myself because I wanted to customize the part inside the car, to connect to my MegaSquirt. Im sure yours is going to be kickass!

ftanguay 10-03-2005 09:30 AM

If molex are too slow you can alway have a good amphenol military connector. I did some project with them at work and the are bullet proof!

Carl Fausett 10-03-2005 11:31 AM

About Molex - now that I have been channeled to the right people, I do n ot think there is any problem at all anymore. They have the locking, water-tight, automotive-grade gang connector we wanted for the application, and I am placing our order for them now. I am told thay are all in stock.

As to the color and striping of the wires: two items that are in conflict with each other are: getting the same color/stripe color combination that Porsche used, and keeping costs down. Those striped wires are a bugger to locate and can be pricey. I have found about 600' or surpolus that I'll buy with the first order or two - it'll set me back about $800, but I should have enough striped wire for a lifetime of harnesses.

For those wires that we cannot match color-for-color, a "map" will be porovided with each kit so you know what your OEM wire was converted to. No problem.

PCinDC 10-03-2005 12:04 PM

Sounds good to me! When do you anticipate selling the first few of them?

500 10-14-2005 05:49 PM

Hi Carl,

Following up our recent off-line communication, I've packaged up a wiring harness for a 1987 944 S (five speed) and have sent it out today by Fedex. I also tagged the harness with the car model and year.

Let me know when it reaches your shores.

Thanks!

Carl Fausett 10-14-2005 07:05 PM

GOOD NEWS: I have received a big box of Molex connecotrs - everything that we have been waiting for! I think we should be able to take orders within 10 days or so.

AlexE 11-20-2005 05:44 PM

Bummpppitttyyy bump...

Just curious how the cutting and splicing is coming along.

:)

Carl Fausett 11-21-2005 08:17 PM

Progress Note: sorry this is taking so long boys.... been a much bigger job finding replacement connectors for all those sensors than we originally thought. Still, we have not given up. We also have not taken dollar $1 from anybody yet. I have been funding the whole development out of pocket.

Received the correct T-Connector today... got 40 of them (enough for 40 951 harnesses)
I ordered the last of the copper pin connectors we have been missing on Friday - hope they are here soon.

We're close!

Right now - here is what we are thinking....

I am trying to keep the price down as far as I can. The man hours on a single 951 wiring harness - with its shielded three-wire sensor connections - is nuts.
I think I am going to be able to come to market at:
$680 for a 944
$865 for a 951

We have discovered there are many, many variants of the 944 and 951 wiring harnesses over the years - even within the same model year.

So - we have decided we need to make them one-at-a-time using your harness as a pattern.

We solved two problems: some folks wanted us to make them a custom harness with wires for a Motec system or gauges or something. We have decided to ship the new harness with the wire-loom unshrunk - so you can add additional wires for gauges and sensors if you like before shrinking the loom yourself. It shrinks with a hair-dryer after you have added whatever wires you want.

Another problem occured with the connector: the cut-in connector that we are adding between the engine and the firewall for you. This is a waterproof, multi pin connector that will make removal of the engine or wiring harness a snap from now on, but we shuddered to think of the end-user splicing their car onto our harness - and how easilly that could get fouled up. So - we have decided that if you pull your harness to send it in - we will use it as a pattern AND we will splice the fire-wall side of the harness into the connectors for you.

What do you think? How does this sound?