Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured Engine Wiring Harness for 944/951

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the work you put into this I hope you sell a lot of them but at near 700 dollars you are approaching the low end of the median value of a 944, which is a shame. Hopefully, some people step up and make this a worthwhile venture. I applaud your effort.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:43 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Carl,

Thanks a lot for the update. Can you estimate roughly where in the quoted price range duplicating the 944 S harness I sent you would be?

Also, what is your payment policy? Although I'm not in any kind of a rush, I would like to make sure I'm "on the list" via. a deposit when you're ready to start accepting them.

Your suggestions for the dme connector splice sound fine to me.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Progress Note: sorry this is taking so long boys.... been a much bigger job finding replacement connectors for all those sensors than we originally thought. Still, we have not given up. We also have not taken dollar $1 from anybody yet. I have been funding the whole development out of pocket.

Received the correct T-Connector today... got 40 of them (enough for 40 951 harnesses)
I ordered the last of the copper pin connectors we have been missing on Friday - hope they are here soon.

We're close!

Right now - here is what we are thinking....

I am trying to keep the price down as far as I can. The man hours on a single 951 wiring harness - with its shielded three-wire sensor connections - is nuts.
I think I am going to be able to come to market at:
$680 for a 944
$865 for a 951

We have discovered there are many, many variants of the 944 and 951 wiring harnesses over the years - even within the same model year.

So - we have decided we need to make them one-at-a-time using your harness as a pattern.

We solved two problems: some folks wanted us to make them a custom harness with wires for a Motec system or gauges or something. We have decided to ship the new harness with the wire-loom unshrunk - so you can add additional wires for gauges and sensors if you like before shrinking the loom yourself. It shrinks with a hair-dryer after you have added whatever wires you want.

Another problem occured with the connector: the cut-in connector that we are adding between the engine and the firewall for you. This is a waterproof, multi pin connector that will make removal of the engine or wiring harness a snap from now on, but we shuddered to think of the end-user splicing their car onto our harness - and how easilly that could get fouled up. So - we have decided that if you pull your harness to send it in - we will use it as a pattern AND we will splice the fire-wall side of the harness into the connectors for you.

What do you think? How does this sound?

I haven't been around for a while - just checked in to see if there was an update on this. Carl - I am still interested - what kind of turnaround time do you anticipate for this?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carl,

Nice meeting you at Sharktoberfest!

I've been keeping in touch with the best local wrecker for a couple of weeks and despite new 951's coming in, all harnesses are burnt or sliced. He is going to take a look at just how bad the burns are. Do you still need an 87' Turbo?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I just got off the phone with my supplier in Europe. The last of the tin-plated copper metric connectors have been shipped. I am supposed to be able to start taking orders now!

I have everything in stock - and if I run out - I now now where they are to order more.

Lets start on this plan:

$680 for a 944
$865 for a 951
add $20 for S&H to send it back to you.

We will require payment and your engine wiring harness to model from.

The end of your wiring harness that goes thru-wall to the LMB and such will be returned to you, with the connector to our engine harness already spliced in for you.

Expect a lead time of 3-4 weeks right now until we get faster at it.

The heat-shrinkable looms on our new harness will not be heat-shrunk when you get the harness. That is so you can add your own extra wires for gauges or whatever to it before you take a hair drier to it and shrink it up. There are extra ports in out watertight connectors just for your add-on wires also.

You should ship your wiring harness and a check to:

928 Motorsports LLC
Attn: Wiring Harness Dept
604 E Maple St
Horicon, WI 53032

Questions? (920)485-0488
Old 12-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Default Pricing Note:

BTW - these prices are for you good lads on Rennlist who have patiently waited and have been sending wiring harnesses to us to help out. With your wiring harnesses, we have been able to chase down all those funky connectors or figure out alternates for the few connectors that just do not exist. Our many thanks.

But - when you see these 944 and 951 wiring harnesses in our catalog and website later - the prices will be higher.

Just identify yourself as a Rennlister when you send it in and place your order and we'll be sure that you get these numbers.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I just listed them on eBay - we are ready-to-go right now. All parts are in stock in my possession.
Rennlisters do not have to buy from eBay - you get the special prices shown in this thread above.
Instructions, Rennlister prices, and address are shown above.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

sounds great!my harness is burnt to bits.i need to save up some $$$.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Carl, thanks very much for making this effort! Can I ask a few questions:

1. Is this an entirely new harness all the way from the DME and KLR connectors to the motor? Or do you re-use the customer's original DME and KLR connectors and harness up to the firewall and create a connection at the firewall for new engine-side harness? I ask because many of us have hacked the interior portion of the harness for aftermarket electronics and the like.

2. Do you preserve the factory color coding scheme for the wires?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Q1 ... do you re-use the customer's original DME and KLR connectors and harness up to the firewall and create a connection at the firewall for new engine-side harness?
Good Questions.

A1: Yes - but we do not make the transition from your wiring harness to ours at the firewall, we make that transition about 10" into the engine compartment from the firewall. I was not able to get a firewall mounted connector that works - plus I did not think Porsche guys would be too keen on drilling and sawing their firewall to make room for it. So we will re-use the stock thru wall and thru-wall grommet/gasket you have.

Q2. Do you preserve the factory color coding scheme for the wires?
A2: As much as possible. Some of the color/stripe combinations have had to be replaced with somthing else because they are unavailable.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Here I sit - with all these connectors in stock and design is ready - and not a single order!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:15 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt H
With all the work you put into this I hope you sell a lot of them but at near 700 dollars you are approaching the low end of the median value of a 944, which is a shame. Hopefully, some people step up and make this a worthwhile venture. I applaud your effort.
I think Matt already stated the obvious answer to your question Carl. Add to that the time of year, and you get the idea. My guess is that you will sell the majority of these to those doin complete rebuilds. When I do my rebuild, I'll be calling you for one, but at 865.00 mine will have to be in awful shape.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:04 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Carl,

Just sent you a PM as well. Definitely intending on getting one, but was hoping to put it off for about two months due to some other things going on right now.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Carl,

are these still being made?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

After all that research and me buying up all the bits I needed, no-one every ordered any.
They have never been made.

I just re-rear the whole post from front-to-back just to refresh my memory about what we said we decided to do.. The best posts are #140, 135, 124, 116, 101, and 100.

I could still proceed if I had a buyer or (hopefuily) more than one buyer.

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Engine Wiring Harness for 944/951