Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Speedo indicator (needle) shaft!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Speedo indicator (needle) shaft!!!

Today is the day to tackle whats behind the dash... New Odo gear, Flaming-eye optics in the panel, and steering wheel leather

Took off the wheel (wow! that was easy!). Took out the instruments (hmmmm, that was easy too!). Repaired/replace the odo gear (oh what a good boy am I!). Went to reassemble.... $#!t!!!

I think I broke the pin that melds into the back of the indicator needle. I believe it fits into an extremely narrow diameter hollow shaft that is affixed to the electro magnet and springs at the base of the unit. The hollow shaft is fixed into position by a threaded plastic collar and I think the pin on the back of the indicator needle is supposed to slip/fit into it. I believe I snapped the long pin on the back of the indicator needle either taking it off or trying to push it back in in reassembly. Have any of you run into this?

The break of the pin is flush with the top of the hollow tube into which it is pushed, so I can't get pliers on it to pull it out. (can't heat it and pull it out either because of all the electrical connections on the coil springs which react to move the needle. Can't glue it because it goes through the plastic collar at the point at which it would be glued.

Anyone got any ideas? Does this indicate an early morning trip to Ian's monday for a used speedo? Who in South Florida could repair this, does anyone know?

Thought I'd post here first (Yes... I've done my search work about a week ago, printed everything up to have it on hand during the operation but apparently forgot to add the word "Stupid" to the search criteria!!! and so here I am!). Anyway, I think with access to a good model airplane hobby shop (brass tube stock, etc, in very tiny specs) I could conquer my errors. But seriously, the speedo indicator needle is supposed to just push on and pull off isn't it? I think I might have applied some lateral pressure on it that caused the shaft to snap.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jim 1987 944S (while I'm "cogitatin' the sitiation", and waiting for a "oh-yeah-I"ve-done-that-and-fixed-it-easily-this-way" response, I'll go back down and see how I can bugger up the Flaming-eye instrument optics up-grade!)
Old 02-26-2005, 02:41 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the speedo needle comes off by pulling it.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTDT. Can't be repaired by mear mortals. Either get another speedo, or send the busted one to a shop.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Old 02-27-2005, 12:28 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a used cluster 944S, cant make any promises on its condition though (car hasnt worked since I bought it)
Old 02-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, Cliff... I've reluctantly come to the same conclusion! Spent the better part of the day (while doing other projects, of course) thinking about the problem. The pin could be cut off, drilled out, and replaced. But it seems that it is a thin steel pin set into an aluminium hollow shaft and, given the size of the material (the diameter of a sewing pin or needle) I'm not quite up to that level of machining. Using search function for "pin" I've found that this is not an isolated probelm, but the only solution anyone has come up with is to (as Andy Griffith admonished Aunt Bea... "Aunt Bea, Pay the man"!!!) It roasts my kiester to be thwarted by such a (seemingly) simple problem.

I think I could engineer my way around the problem (by cutting and putting a collar on the shaft and expoying a new pin on the needle itself) but I still don't quite understand the force that kept the pin locked into the shaft itself. Friction fit? If I had a spare, I'd devote a bit of otherwise usefull time investigating the problem. I think the previous "repair" shop (there was a label inside from years ago) may have glued the pin in place as I read some posts where others had expressed the same feeling when thier pin broke. Gotta put the "speedo man" (that sounds repulsive) on my dance card.

Oh well, it beats making car payments.....

It DOES..... dosen't it???

Thanks, folks...Anders, Cliff, et al...
Jim 1987 944S (if I let anything in life beat me It's going to be wearing fishnet stockings and a leather bustier!!!)
Old 02-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Patrick... I think I'll send mine out for repair. OTOH, how much would you want for that speedometer?

At least for the next week or so (with the Flaming-eye light enhancement) I'll really be able to see the great gaping hole in my instrument panel!

Jim 1987 944S (I drove my 3 liter Healey by Tach quite handily as the speedometer drive on that thing broke with more frequency than I filled up with gas) (Officer, was I going as fast as I THINK I was???)
Old 03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Any alterations made to the touchy speedometer will often result in improper calibration and readings, because the indicator assembly is entirely weighted delicately. Adding or removing weight through modifications will defeat the precision and accuracy VDO is known for. Spend the $150 and stay with the last guage the car will ever need.

I did exactly the same to my Turbo speedo, and literally spent days toiling over how to best repair this silly part. After almost totally tangling the return coils permanently- I decided to resort to sending the unit to Palo Alto Speedometer.

Last edited by Dilberto; 03-01-2005 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 03-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, Zack...! any weight (miniscule at best) would have been added by a thin brass collar at the rotational axis of the shaft. But still, such fine tolerances! On the other hand... I just thought of an old Finnish watchmaker that used to live in Lake Worth... I bet he could have fixed it!!!

I'm packing its box for the trip to California as we speak.

Jim 1987 944S (Those springs are like two slinkies on crack aren't they? Great fun!)

Quick Reply: Broken Speedo indicator (needle) shaft!!!