Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944spec vs. spec miata

Old 02-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, did the guy in SCCA do his own work? That is a huge factor in the cost of running 944cup or 944spec. You could also look into PCA club racing.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well
Look here for info on spec miata race ready car prices.

They range from 9500 to 20k
http://www.specmiata.com/classifieds...et_add_ad_cat=
944-spec race ready and competitive cars range from about 7k to 12k asking prices.

You can also do more research on the cost at

http://www.specmiata.com
Old 02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Der Rennwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, Jon Milledge must still be staying active and building motors for some of the *few* 944spec, 944Cup and SCCA ITS (if yaa got the dough right)? It's been a while since I've talked with him, but back in 1990 he and Jerry Woods built stellar (185+hp dyno'ed) 9448v'er motors for the Project's Racing Service ITS 944's that Mark Dickens built up at Sears Point. I designed the graphics for the cars waaay back then. They used Motul syn oil and still experienced some #2 cyl rod bearing failures. Not a lot ,but I think it happened once. Can't remember if it was on Vic Rices' car or the other two. I don't know if they were running updated baffled pans or? I had a 1972 911RS replica at the time and *stupid of me* didn't really pay too much attention to the details of the build up of the 944 back then. If I knew I'd be driving a 944 15+ years later, I would have taken loads more photos and completely documented them. Grrrrrrr.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Jon Milledge has not built any 944-spec motors. That I know for sure. Most 944-spec car get to 130 hp at the rear wheels. I have seen a 138 hp dyno chart, but it was all the top of RPM band. I have heard of, but never seen 142 hp dyno runs. Racing with said cars they seem a bit more powerfull, but nothing solid driving can't overcome.

The biggest difference between ITS and 944-spec is that ITS requires a well built motor and you will still get beaten badly. You can win in 944-spec on an unrebuilt junkyard motor. I have friend who has done just that. He calls it the mystery motor and is waiting for it blow-up, but somehow holds together lap after very fast lap after very fast lap. He is currnetly a few tenths off track record at PIR with that motor.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Danno
Race Director

Spec-944s are cheaper and Spec-Miatas are faster. Depends upon what events you want to run in, the 944 will end costing less for a season. Appears to be closer competition as well since the cars are closer together. No one seems to spend the top-dollar amounts in a Spec-944 as they woudl in a Spec-Miata.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

what class does a regular 944 run in PCA club racing? i suppose thats an alternative. my main issue - i don't want to be doing engine rebuilds or having built motors or expensive things like that, i just want to race in a big class and have fun.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

I think it is ITS, where you will probably not do very well. If I were you I would go with the SPEC- Miata. My boss, at the race car shop, and all of the other employees there all race spec-miata. They love it because all they have to do to get ready for the race id check the oil level, change the tires, and wash/wax the car. It really is cheap as heck, and you won't have to worry about putting the car into the wall, bodies are a dime a dozen. If you are interested in this, why not come up here, or get in touch with me, we actually rent a few spec miatas out for DE's and races for people to try out, to see if they like it. Might be a fun option for you, to see if you enjoy it. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, and I'll let you know more about it.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:00 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i know people who say you could weld the hood shut and not open it up till the end of the season, and then there are guys selling 25k spec miata cars. so are the low budget guys competitive or is it a crap shoot?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:37 AM
jjjr944
Racer

Like Beerburner, I own both.
I'd go Miata, just for the efficencies of parts and equipment prices as well as a larger contingency of future buyers should you decide to get out. Larger number of Miatas on the road and greater access to used (and cheaper) parts and simpler (yet more poorly tooled) design would sway me toward the Miata . YMMV!
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Miata is cheaper to run, but 944 is better to control. The short wheel base makes the Miata nimble but a simple overcorrection could make you a cone-serial killer. I like the 944 because it's a little more predictable. And, I'm not too much of a fan of Miatas....

Sorry ERAU..
Old 02-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't call them Wreck Me Otters or Spec Pinatas for nothing. Best to practice with bumper cars at the local amusement park. Everybody complains about the contact the SM cars do (and with cars not in their class even!).

Don't think SM is cheap. Sure, it's cheap to make up the numbers, but you can do that in any class. To run up front costs big bucks because there are people spending tons of money looking for a half hp or a little suspension advantage or..... SM ain't cheap to run up front.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:11 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Spec Pinata....
Old 02-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Tim Pruitt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Penguinking,

You can have fun in either car. I run a 88 924S in PCA I Stock, NASA 944Cup and PBOC R9. The car is very competitive in all of the races I attended last year. I have not run the car in SCCA ITS for reasons already stated. However, if the 924/944 is moved down in class in SCCA to be more competitive I would start racing in SCCA too.

There is a NASA Race at Road Atlanta in March that will have both car types there. You can watch the race and talk to the drivers. PCA has their Club Race the first weekend in April and you can see the 924/944 guys battling in I Class too.

Between PCA, NASA and PBOC there are plenty of race tracks close to Atlanta; Road Atlanta, Carolina Motorsports Park, Roebling Road Raceway, Sebring, Barber Motorpsorts Park and Virginia International Raceway isn't far away either.

Bottomline, everyone starts out just wanting to have fun but, in any class if you want to be competitive it is not cheap.

"Cheapest way to a million dollars is to start with a billion dollars and go racing." Author Unknown to me.

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geo
Don't think SM is cheap. Sure, it's cheap to make up the numbers, but you can do that in any class. To run up front costs big bucks because there are people spending tons of money looking for a half hp or a little suspension advantage or..... SM ain't cheap to run up front.
944-spec is still pretty cheap to run up front. Mostly that is due to the series still being new and nobody has attempted to spend big bucks yet. The fastest cars in the series right now are all driver. I can't say that it will always be that way, but it some the series directors are watching out for.

If I were in the south east I would probably be racing 944-cup. Probably less competitively than I do now or maybe just runnign fewer races. I might consider spec-miata, but being a Porsche guy I err on the side of the 944.

In Arizona and So Cal a 944 preped to spec levels is probably the best place to race. There are may be 5 spec miata in arizona, but you can race a spec prepared 944 in its own class in NASA and SCCA as well as Pro Auto Sports. In So cal you can race a 944 preped to spec level in its own class in NASA, SCCA, TCRA and POC. Competition is strong and friendly. Costs are pretty low.

Danno,
944-spec cars are faster than spec miata's. At least all the ones I have race against!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Tim,

what are the rules for the class you run in? i presume since you run in multiple series that you have to make certain changes for each race? how would you compare your class to spec miata?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 944spec vs. spec miata