Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking Noise on Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:57 PM
pat944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Noise on Deceleration

I've just begun hearing a clunking type noise while decelerating. It's a regular noise, sort of sounds similar to not having all wheel nuts tightened, but I've checked that and it doesn't appear to be the problem.

The noise gets faster with and increased road speed, and it's not changed in different gears or with the clutch in or out.

I'm thinking initially it might be CV joints or wheel bearings.

Does anyone out here have any other thoughts on where to look??
Old 01-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CV's....

Paragon has the OEM for really cheap...I got pre-assembled axles with all 4 CV's and axle itself for $380.00
Old 01-23-2005, 04:53 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the clunking a "thumping" sound, or a metallic "pinging" sound? A thumping sound is less likely to be CVs. More like wheel bearings.

I've found the early rear wheel bearings to make all kinds of thumping, humming, grinding or even screeching sounds when they fail. CVs CVs resonate more when they bind -the sound is distinctly metallic.

The early cars are notorious for rear wheel bearings going bad. I would check there first.

Raise each rear wheel in the air, hold firmly and attempt to shake laterally. Any play will indicate worn rear wheel bearings.

They're cheap VW parts, but something of a pain to replace because the axle nut takes a huge amount of torque and generally needs an impact wrench to come off.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew that... *glares at the guy with the pretty turbo cabrio*
Old 01-23-2005, 05:05 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Although CV is a good place I will go with Luis on the wheel bearings. CV's normally will clunk during turning and not in a str8 line. Wheel bearing will wobble at any speed, more if the speed increases.

Jack the bad boy up and wiggle the rear wheels and check the axle nut to be sure it has not backed out. If that turns out ok then move onto the CV's. Cheaper to do bearings vs. CV's!

Rear end vibration is a good indicator of bad bearings also, getting any at high speed?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:09 AM
pat944
Advanced

Thanks so much guys for your suggestions on this one. It does appear however I was slightly wrong on the no loose nuts part. It turns out that when I replaced my rear spacers, I wasn't able to tighten them enough with the spanner Porsche provides for replacing flat tyres.

It turned out even though I had zero movement in wheel or spacer, when I tightened it with something with a bit more *****, I managed to get another turn or so out of all the nuts holding the spacer on, in hindsight I was quite lucky, cause I noticed the sound after a quick hour long trip back home, so lucky they stayed on there for me.

I do beleive it was either Iceshark or Perry951 who said some time ago "check your nuts", I can't agree more with them. My cars been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise on Deceleration