Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a porsche? What's your story?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 02:12 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, ok, here it goes.. I was out of work and living at the parent's house, getting low on funds, mom and dad said leave and don't come back till you have atleast 3 aplications in every day untill you are working again. I left and made a direct line for the BMW dealer, on the way I passed the Porsche dealer and laughed. Hit BMW and a boat repair shop, drove for a while and found nothing. As a last resort, I went to Porsche. Yeah, 3 aps, I have somewhere to sleep tonite, lol. I walked in, got an aplication even though they weren't hiring. I talked to the service manager and he me started the next day. After working there for a month and driving about every P-car model that you'd see, a guy I worked with said he was selling the "Black Satin Jetairliner" . This car was beutiful, black on black with the Porsche print interior, 17" cups, nice stereo, etc... He said 6K, I said I wish but not right now. A week later he said that I needed that car. He said" I'll tell ya what, I pull the Momo wheel, the Cups and the short shift kit and throw some 16" wheels on it and give it to you for 3500 bucks". Right then and there I told him I definately wanted it. At lunch I went to my bank and filled out a loan aplication. I came back from lunch and told him that I would have the answer on the loan by the next morining. He said he thought I was BSin' when I said I wanted it. The next day at lunch I had the keys and title and he had a check from my bank.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I got out of grad school I wound up in the town I grew up in, and before too long a friend of mine that I grew up with moved back there as well. Last time I'd seen him, he had bought this nice looking white 924S and I got to go for a quick ride in it but now the car was broken down. Something about a timing belt, how he fixed it but the new belt snapped when he cranked the engine, and beyond that it was a little confusing. I didn't think much of it since I had just started as an intern at a consulting company. A few months later the internship was over and I was looking for work. During that time he said he was thinking about selling it since he was living at home and his mom wasn't a big fan of the broken down car in the driveway.

In May I get hired on where I am now and move to San Antonio. I closed on the house in June and gave him a call in July about the car - it's still there, still $500. Getting the car wasn't the smartest thing since I already have the Celica and F-100 taking up both spaces in the garage, but I was racking up too many miles on the Toyota going to and from work. I thought, hey you only live once and working on bringing this car back to life has been pretty fun so far. I'm still doing what I can to make sure that when I start the engine up it doesn't go "BOOM!" like it did when he put it all back together!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Talking These stories are great!

I should elaborate on how I actually got mine since I did not include that the first time. I searched online for 3 months looking for the right 924s. I had certain criteria, one of which it had to come from someone with money as I know they usually take care of their cars and the body would be in nice shape

Low and behold one day on Ebay motors there it was. Beautiful pictures. It did not list the reserve. However there was an AIM name so I said ok I will IM this person and see what this is all about. Well the story goes like this. The car had had only one other owner. The person selling it was a 17 year old kid who's father gave him the car. He had only driven it a month and half. The reason he was selling it was because he was feeling peer pressure to get a rice racer, yup a Honda Civic. Asking price was $3200.00. He said it would be mine if he was unable to sell it. Well I lucked out. I drove up to Jersey to test drive it. Car was immaculate except for a few small dings and one ding that is on the passenger side that I am having pulled out and painted over since the paint is chipped off clean there. Now the only thing the kid did not tell me as some of you know from a previous post was that he used stop leak in his rad , so not even having the car 24 hours the rad exploded, Well his father has paid for $300 of the repair and I am having all the normal maintenance? stuff done right now IE: new timing belt, water pump, seals, brake pads, tune up, etc. I won't have it back until Sept 3rd as the shop is busy and I have to wait to get paid again
None the less I still cannot believe anyone would want to get rid of a nice ride like a Porsche for a fricken Honda Civic

My gain off course
Old 08-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For me it started real early. I was brought home from the hospital in a 1980 924S and from there on it waqs history. My Grandfather, father and I are all porshe-o-files and ever scince i knew what a car was i wanted a porsche.

Once i was older (in my early teens) and knew about all the models i took a likeing to the 944 for its unique and cool body styling and great handling. Then After my freshamn year of college (2 years ago) we found me a 1988 944.

Now there is only one problem i find these cars such great driving and riding cars when i am in almost anything else i say to myself "wow, this thing drives like crap compared to the porsche." It is funny how most cars made today do not drive as well as one from the 80's. there are only a few cars that i find even compare.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

All started when i started liking 911's...964's and 993's. From movies like bad boys, etc. Then i started posting on flat-6 forums. I found out that porsche doesnt just make 911's and then the 944 kinda grew on me, partially because it was the only one id be able to afford in the near future. Then one day i was browsing ads for porsche....and i see a beat up 944 for 500 bucks. I sell my laptop the next day and buy it.

Into the money pit i go.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:47 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I've liked Porsches since i ws 5 years old...i hardly saw them, mostly muscle cars....which i still like for looks and power only...anyway...I had a dream 2 years ago...in that dream I got a job and bought an 80's Porsche. I had never had a chance to study Porsches much (didn't have internet, didn't know about the dealership, and never really had the money to buy books and crap). Well, I didn't know what a 944 was at first. I saw a 928 and wanted that one. I thought it was beautiful. But WOW they were pricey, and expensive to work on...and the insurance was hella high as well...especially for an 18 year old...so I kept looking, and found uot abuot 944's. I at first didn't like them. After a few months, the styling grew on me. Then I got a chance to ride in an N/A. It was a blast. So, i started looking for mine. One day, I saw a burgandy 944, and it turned out it was a Turbo! Only problem was it was WAY out of my price range at around 7k. So, three months later, I found a gold one that I wanted badly. It was an 84 NA, and i loved it. I bought it for 1200, and it broke down the enxt day. I towed it back and got my money back. On the way home, I saw that turbo again. I went and talked them down to 3500 because of how long it had been sitting there. I gave them 1200, as a down payment, got it financed, and had it delivered. A year later, I have driven it very little due to being broken down a lot, it is currently being completely fixed, and in a couple weeks, it will be back for me to drive the hell out of it...
Old 08-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was 14, I saw this ad in TIME magazine and it made an impression on me...

June 14, 1982

Dr. Porsche
invites you to test drive
the newest Porsche.

My family, beginning with my father, has been
designing and building cars for over 80 years.

At first, we worked for other companies.
"But always," my father said, "there were too many
compromises."

So we formed Porsche - to build Porsches. To our
family's own standards. Without compromise.

Our very first Porsche was the 356.
Now there is a new Porsche: the 944.
The 944 has a 2.5-liter, 4-cylinder, aluminum-silicon
alloy Porsche engine - designed at Weissach,
and built at Zuffenhausen.

It achieves a maximum torque of 137.1 ft-lbs as early
as 3000 rpm, and produces 143 hp at 5500 rpm.

On the track, the 944 accelerates from 0 to 50 mph
in 5.9 seconds. And it reaches the 1/4-mile mark from a
standing start in only 16.2 seconds at a speed of 84
mph. Its maximum speed: 130 mph.

The 944 has the Porsche transaxle design-proven at
Le Mans, and refined for everyday driving. It produces a
nearly-perfect 50-50 front-to-rear weight distribution
for balanced braking and improved cornering.

The 944's aerodynamic styling reduces air resistance
and improves road holding.

In fact, as a result of its total design efficiency, the 944
requires only 28 hp to cruise at 55 mph.

To my family, the 944 is more than a new car.
It is a new and true Porsche.

At Porsche, excellence is expected.

Dr. F. Porsche
Stuttgart
Old 08-14-2004, 09:30 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I figured a Porsche would get you unlimited pooty. I like Porsches, and Im not against pooty, so I deduced I had a no brainer going on here. I was a couple years out of college and who doesnt need a little of both at that time of your life.

Trouble is, after 5yrs of Porsche ownership, I grew to realize the stereotype that chicks love hot cars and that a fine automobile is a pooty magnet was just a nastyass rumor. You have to look cool before you get the Porsche. If you are like me and look like death rolled over in a Yugo, you will look like death rolled over in a Porsche. And to women, that just wont cut it. Judging by the cars shows Ive been to, chicks prefer mullet cars anyway.

So now I love my cars and I am shunning the women who ignore me. Your loss ladies!!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Sgopher
Instructor

My story:

I was 16 ( in 1986 ) and my parents were looking for a new car. My sister was 12 at the time. My dad said he was looking at 944 and would bring it home. I was excited to say the least. I waited and low and behold mom and dad come home... In a brand new Astro Van... To this day I hate mini vans. I have 3 kids and still resist the urge to buy a mini van ( I may break down and trade the Expedition in on one though ).

Anyways, I always loved the 911's. The sloping body style. The sound. But with 3 kids ( 8 and under ) and a wife at home to raise 'em, I just can't afford a 911 yet. So I thought about fixing up a 928, and found that would probably cost me more than a 911 So I saw a 944 for sale that fit my price range, took a chance and bought. I must say I love the little thing. Handles great, sounds great for a 4 and has good performance to boot. Not the fastest thing in town, but I don't drag race. If I want to go stupid fast in a straight line, I break out the motorcycle for that. Anyways, that is my story. The 944 will probably be in the family for a long time to come. My son likes it and wants to drive it when he is 16 ( he has 8 long years to go ).
Old 08-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

UD- Youre a freak. It's just an abnominal illusion you draw. ANY guy in a guards 930 NEEDS to get laid- You are the exception. Keep frequenting White Castle and you'll be fine. Smelly but fine.

Dude- you GOTTA know i'm kidding., Peace out- Chris.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:03 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

After owning some form of sports car most of my long life it was a natural. I drove a nicely prepped 95 Miata for 8 years and loved every minute of ownership. We were looking for a car to use as a driver for our Son. I always loved the 944's so I got on Rennlist long before I found the right one. My wife and I took it out one day on one of our all day backroads journeys. We loved it..more high speed stability and the wind and sun factor was just better. Too many years with a top down and we were turning into beef jerky. Got the 951 for the obvious reason...it goes fast! Wish I hadn't waited so long.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted something that was reliable, practical, handled well, relatively light/nimble, had good acceleration/speed, got good gas mileage, would not rust, good quality, safe, could withstand heavy use, would hold its value/be worth repairing and maintaining, and was a real, true sports/GT car - not a poseur.

This was back in 1996. I objectively landed on a 944 about two years later. Six years ago nobody called them slow like they do today - their performance was very respectable, especially for a four cylinder. When you consider all of the qualities above, there are few cars that excel in as many areas as the 944.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
fiercestcalm
Advanced

I grew up in one of those families that had station wagons and enormous sedans, all American of course, just awful. I'd sit in the "way back" of the wagon and think to myself, when I get old enough to have my own car, it's going to be cool, no more of this! Of course, my definition of cool at the time was a Camaro or TransAm... but then I started dating this guy in high school who opened my eyes to Porsches. He would always point them out to me and we would bicker about which one was best. He was always partial to the 928, but I always loved the look of the 944. This was around '86 when they were in their glory. Well, my "cool" car ended up being a Celica, because the Porsches were nowhere near my price range at that time. I enjoyed it for quite a few years, then started a family of my own and started going the sensible, SUV route, forgetting all about the days of admiring Porsches from afar.

Here's the funny part... I start having this recurring dream that my Celica is back in the driveway, like I really didn't get rid of it and I'm so happy! I finally decided that the second bay in the garage needed to be filled with something fun again. We really could use another car anyhow, because we only had the one SUV and husband has a work truck. I started looking at getting another Celica, then began remembering the days of Porsche admiration and those gorgeous 944's. I started poking around looking for more information, which lead to serious hunting, which led to lots of scary neglected 944's, to frustration, then finally to the beautiful 951 in my driveway
Old 08-17-2004, 07:21 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

White Castle has to be the Skankzilla capital of the universe. I might get a piece, but Id bring home a venerial disease along with it.

If its a good piece though...

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
UD- Youre a freak. It's just an abnominal illusion you draw. ANY guy in a guards 930 NEEDS to get laid- You are the exception. Keep frequenting White Castle and you'll be fine. Smelly but fine.

Dude- you GOTTA know i'm kidding., Peace out- Chris.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:30 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

just returned from an overseas assignemnt and needed a car. stayed at a buddy's place and he lent his (mine now) to a another buddy who messed up the clutch. neither is mech inclined. rather than spend the $$ to get it fixed i offered to buy as is provided he buys the clutch. so i did and loved the car ever since. never dreamed of owning a p-car.
kinda veered towards nissan 300z and supras, but no luck in the finance department.
since the guy wnatedto get rid of it coz of maint. issues i jumped on it, no dp and no int. can't pass it up. thus i have a p-car, plus i can show my relatives what a little work and patience brings.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a porsche? What's your story?