Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Hood Vents...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:03 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That NACA inlet goes straight to a cone ? Sweet.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
anybody else think this picture should be on the rennlist homepage? (horsepower farm's pic that is)

Thanks Jake! Let John D. know
Old 08-04-2004, 05:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmunky
I dig the hood vents on the red one, but not the car itself.. i think NACA ducts are definitely classiest.
nice pic horsepowerfarm!
I agree and another vote for Horsepower farm on the homepage.

But these vents are serving 2 purposes

Naca ducts let cool air in, Louvers let hot air out
Old 08-04-2004, 05:31 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I think more cold air into the filter is a good thing, the less hot air the air filter sucks in, the lower the temps will be coming out of the compressor housing.....

but, and there is always a but, I still think are more gains to be had by venting out the back side of the intercooler.... (and then louvers over the turbo / headers would also help with heat soak while the car is sitting stil....)

I just need to get a spare hood and start cutting holes in it.... but then again I don't have a modified 951 anymore, so its not really an issue at the moment....
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Default Hood venting

Ian,

I think you are right. I found a paint flaw in my hood and am going to repaint it this winter. So maybe I'll wack another hole in my hood if I can find a 968 turbo vent or something similar. Anyone know where I could find a 968 vent?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winslow! Read your damn PMs you bum!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wisnlow, try the link that Larry put up, you can use a hood scoop from there, run it upside down, it is damn near identical. Looks trick as ****, have pics somewhere of a 951 carbon hood done like that.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:38 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt,
I saw that also, but I really want factory as the NACA duct is from a 931.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

horsepowerfarm,
how functional is that. I know your blowing air over the turbo, but that extra air in the engine bay has to leave somewhere, so is it ejected under the car? that would cancel out some downforce you could really use on the car. do you have an exit setup? Also, this does not help air to move through the IC better.
I'm not trying to bash you on this, because re-reading it sounds kinda negative. I'm purely curious, cause eventually, if i go with a vent setup, id put a naca duct where yours is, but i'd like to have an exit setup, maybe you do... do you?
~Eyal
Old 08-04-2004, 11:15 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of you have seen this before. Someday I will have the professionals re-make the hood vents for me to get that quality look. This is completely a home job, including the painting. It is quite functional, however, and the vents over the left light allows air to flow directly into the K&N filter.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

David thanks for posting that, someone was asking for something earlier and I told them to find that pic!

Winslow, it is going to be REALLY hard to find that part. I think I have seen one for sale ONCE. If you are serious you might contact Jason at Paragon as he has one of 4 and ask him. Probably doesnt have another one but he might know where some of the spares are. BTW - you KNOW I love the hood!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Eyal,

I have never made a claim as to any specific function of that duct. I did however have several objectives.

Only one of my objectives is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

1. Maybe blow a little cool air on the turbo
2. Maybe blow some cool air on the master cylinder
3. Look cool as hell, and nobody else to my knowledge has done it

#3 is the only proven objective based on Rennlisters comments.

Where does the air go? I don't have a clue. However, I have had the car at 22lbs of boost and holding at 7200 rpm in top gear. The hood did not flutter, but it was a handful. Does it reduce downforce? Maybe, but my car is a fat ***, roll bar, A/C cruise, no radio or speakers, and lighter seats, rear bumper and rear spoiler. So, at the end of the day it probably weighs about the same as a stock 951.

I can't prove my intake charge is any cooler either, but, there are not allot of 951's that can hold the levels of boost I'm running at the rpms I'm running without overheating or grenading.

Please don't ask me to dyno the car or anything else like that, because my pursuit is to please myself and **** off my neighbor. A number of people went for rides in my car at 944Fest, ask them how it works, and I bet a quarter everyone that has seen it will tell you that damn duct looks great, and was as fast or faster than any other 951 there. So in my mind, mission accomplished.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Winslow,
I like your attitude towards it... maybe I'm a little to functional minded... I'm glad to can blow people off like that... awsome car, enjoy it. Oh, and you have the 18 lightweights correct? how are those, I'd like those on my car.
~Eyal
Old 08-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Ill take that bet, it does look cool as hell. If you are concerned about airflow remove the black "weather strip" from the battery area across to the fuse block. That will allow the air to escape, lots of track cars are like that.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Matt,
SHHHHHH, don't tell everything, LOL!

Eyal,
Once again you are busting me. I am a slave to fashion! My car handles pretty well. I'm not sure if it is 'cause of the wheels, PZero Corsa tires, full coil overs w/ t-bar delete, 550# and 700# springs, bushings, sway bars etc. As I did all of them at once. But they look great, and I still haven't seen "myself" going the other way.

Quick Reply: More Hood Vents...