Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 944 S2 Cabriolet Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 07:49 PM
TeufelHei
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met the guy today and got the paperwork from him. It is pending review while I fly out to see my mother tonight (aren't I a good boy?).

#2 Rod bearing huh...lemme guess oil starvation above 6000rpm causes failure of the #2 bearing. Same problem with 928s except it's the parallel bearing as well (#6). I'll look into it, but it took aftermarket racers to solve the problem on the 928.

Same same with the ODO, I'll check very carefully. This guy looks and acts honest enough, but there's nothing to be said for PO's. I'll check all associated areas.

I don't mind leaks, I just don't like surprises In the case of the 928, Keith said it was a 9.5 out of 10, which raises my expectations somewhat. More or less, he came through, I drove home after all didn't I?

This guy looks like he's about ready to deal though. To be fair, I'm taking the low NADA retail as a starting point and deducting from there. $10,500 is a bit much for me, even if it is worth the money. If it was my wife alone on this, the check and keys would cross mid air and she'd be half way down the road before the guy even started to walk away. I don't want to get burned, either directly or indirectly. It's amazing how close those two are when you're married.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:25 PM
TeufelHei
Burning Brakes

Well the final word is in and the bid has gone out after intense test driving and inspection. Based on NADA value, I deducted a percentage of the cost to repair the issues I found in the process.

Initial NADA value: $12,713.00
Final Score: $9,537.33

Major hits were the non-functional AC, lack of Boot cover, and the fact that there was no record of the timing belt being changed since 1998. It checked out for the most part, the only thing I wanted to do that I couldn't get at was to pull the valve cover and check the chain. If he goes for it (at 10% less than he wants) then I'll make it a condition of the sale that I have 30 days to inspect the chain and pads to my satisfaction.

I know it's more than I paid for the 928, but it's also 5 years younger and a bit nicer car in many respects. We'll see what happens. I'll let you all know. With any luck, you'll be hearing a lot more from me on this as I am an uncertified Rennlist Addict.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 PM
TeufelHei
Burning Brakes

Bump

Wow, you guys sure aren't much help at all.

Quick Reply: 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet Advice