Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Sprocket Teeth on Drain Plug!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 02:50 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cam Sprocket Teeth on Drain Plug!

My car has a checkered past with an obvious cam chain tensioner repair job. When it was apart in October with my T belt disaster the mechanic found cam sprocket teeth in the oil pan. I was relieved that he found them and got them out of there.
Today I changed the oil for the third time since the work in October and there was a single complete tooth and second partial tooth on the drain plug magnet. I immediately pulled the valve cover and all the teeth on my cams are intact. So the teeth on my drain plug must have come from over 12k miles ago!
When ever rennlisters post about tensioner failures I advise to get all the teeth accounted for. Now on my own engine I am still finding teeth. I have no way to know if there are still more floating around in there or if they have all been shaken loose by my increasing confidence in the turns! One more thing to worry about I guess.

Quick Reply: Cam Sprocket Teeth on Drain Plug!