Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:25 PM
WithStarsInHerEyes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents didn’t buy me a car so they are helping out. (the cars I drive are my mothers Beetle, which she doesn’t drive much now that she is retired and her eyes bother her from diabetes and the Prelude was abandoned when Cam bought a 2000 Celica GTS and the trade in the offered was so offensive it just sat at home waiting to be sold or something and then it was “oh Lisa can drive it until we find her a car she wants”, I held out for a Porsche .

This was my original planned budget (and I’ll modify as necessary and according to suggestion I receive):
$600 tax, tag, title

$3200-4000 Paint/dent removal
I am planning on having the paint professionally restored. I will prep as much as possible, sand, dealing with dents, applying VERY thin “bondo” and much sanding on dings I can handle etc. I have access to a good air compressor and a heated garage. I was told this will come in handy. I have a friend who works at a less expensive paint shop than I will take my Porsche who will help me do prep work, or rather guide me and demonstrate so I can do the grunt work appropriately.

$1800 Timing belt/thermostat/water pump quote from a Porsche dealership. This may not have to be done depending on the car but I’m planning in just is case and possibly regardless for my peace of mind.

$2000 Repairs that will simply happen soon after getting the car

$500 Pirelli tires

$200 Misc. Interior clean up

$500 on the various inspections I’ll pay for before I find “my” car

$3000-4000 car
1985.5-1986-1988
Minor dings, faded paint fine
Generally decent condition interior, ideally no or few dash cracks
Interior color in order of preference: linen/white, light tan/cream, black, darker tan/saddle
Leather interior (unless it’s the linen color)
Power windows (powerlocks would be nice but I wouldn’t refuse it if it didn’t have them)
Sunroof (I think this is stock?)
<160,000 miles; ideally 100,000 to 120,000.

$45 K+N Filter

I realize now I’ll need to pay more than $3000, probably more than $4000. I also think putting painting it off, even if it needs it is probably smart. Using those #s high numbers this comes to a little under $14,000, I believe, leaving me enough to go get it if I were to drive (I read that this is not advisable but was included in my original plan). My biggest problem is convincing my dad that there is a difference between the $1800 no reserve porsche that looks like it was stolen and is now parked in a not so hot part of town on ebay, and the 10,000 951 other than paint. lol.

There was a dealer selling what appears to be a perfect mint condition 944 with low miles for buy it now $6XXX and I considered it. But Ebay scares me…

I like the idea of working on it and getting it painted (especially since I really want red). But if the paint isn’t good then it might be they didn’t maintain it in other ways?

I’m not in a rush to get one though. I’d like to have it within the next 2 year though. I’m LOOKING now which to me equals, I’m GETTING one, just I have to find her!! I’ll continue to save. But I think I’m ready to start looking, because I’ve been very picky so far and that probably isn’t going to change!

Julie, please let me know if that girl does sell the car with the linen interior and thanks for the links!

Eyal, I laughed hysterically over your comment about understanding rice boys in another thread!! Very quote worthy, especially considering the flak I'm catching from my friends over my choice of a Porsche!!

I drive to Baltimore to go to the inner harbor. My parents live in Potomac as do I when not at school. This semester I’m in MD because my mom got sick and I’m just doing some gen ed classes here but in the fall I’ll be in NC.

Laura, I’ve had that experience. One owner asked me to drive my own car up and down his street before he let me drive his! Lol. I think it was probably a good sign though, at least he cared about how the car was driven. I find it more amusing than insulting!

Thanks to everyone for the links and advice.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:26 PM
WithStarsInHerEyes
AutoX

I’m not really looking into getting one on Ebay but any thoughts on these (what they were/are worth, did any of them sound like they were worth pursueing)??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...472719547&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...472646566&rd=1
Old 04-13-2004, 05:30 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Originally posted by NZ951
Did she say yes?
LOL
I think she is still thinking about it. You can only hope!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
WithStarsInHerEyes
AutoX

On more quick one... anyone want to give my a ball park on what they would pay for this one assuming an inspection at an independent porsche certified location said it was sound?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...473616645&rd=1
Old 04-13-2004, 05:35 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would actually somewhat steer clear of eBay. I think you are better off looking for one by word of mouth through Rennlist. In many ways it reduces your perception of risk in the purchase, even though you still may undertake the PPI's etc, I think a Rennlist car would be a better one. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:37 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your words of encouragment Chris. I am holding my breath.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Lisa, i sent you a Private message. You can click on "my profile" at the top to check those, if you arent familiar with the rennlist utilities.

If you want, i can run the PCA classifieds and see what i find in your range. For under 9,000 you should be very able to get a good running 944, that shouldn't need paint work. There are some really nice cars circulating in PCA.

Oh and by the way, that Baltic Blue car...bad pictures! Baltic Blue is MUCH nicer! The lighting must have been horrible.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:42 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it seems like you came in with a pretty good idea of where to get started. I'll just say a few things:

$1800 for belts/WP/etc. is high, probably the very highest you might find. Definitely shop around, people have had it done for under $1000. Might even convince a group to get together near you and have a "belt day" or something and get it done for just parts

You can pay $4000 and get an amazing paint job, but some people here are pretty darn satisfied with the $800 Maaco job they have. Also, the more prep you do yourself, the cheaper it will be. a lot of the cost of a paint job is in the prep/reassembly work. If you do most of it yourself (or with the help of friends), you could probably get a great paint job for less than 4k.

So, the good part is it might even be cheaper than you think!

I like the idea of working on it and getting it painted (especially since I really want red). But if the paint isn’t good then it might be they didn’t maintain it in other ways?
Don't let eBay fool you, "Ultra Rare Guards Red" is the most common Porsche color ever produced I think. also, you can't always judge the condition of the car based on the paint. A lot of these cars are turning 20 or close to it now, and paint just naturally fades on oxidizes, unless you lock the car in a garage and never drive it.

But I think I’m ready to start looking, because I’ve been very picky so far and that probably isn’t going to change!
Good. Better than buying the first car you see and it turning out to be a basket case.

$3000-4000 car
1985.5-1986-1988
Minor dings, faded paint fine
Generally decent condition interior, ideally no or few dash cracks
Interior color in order of preference: linen/white, light tan/cream, black, darker tan/saddle
Leather interior (unless it’s the linen color)
Power windows (powerlocks would be nice but I wouldn’t refuse it if it didn’t have them)
Sunroof (I think this is stock?)
<160,000 miles; ideally 100,000 to 120,000.
The interior doesn't look near as modern (looks straight out of the 70's), but don't discount the early cars entirely. A car with no dash cracks isn't going to be too easy to find, but you can find one with few dash cracks or get a <$100 coverlay dash cover, which some people here seem to be happy with. Sunroof isn't stock, but a non-sunroof car is VERY rare. Also, these cars are getting old, so just because a car has low miles doesn't mean everything is in great shape. The rubber will still rot and need to be replaced. But, still, the lower the miles the better usually. Just be weary of odometer readings, as you can swap them out or change the numbers (at least on early cars) pretty easily.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:48 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The last one you posted is the nicest of the lot. It will probably go for around $6500. You may have to act fast on that one, there is another Rennlister looking at that one right now. I can't say who just yet.
I'd stay away from the automatic 944's, these cars are low enough on power as it is and sports cars should have a clutch anyway.
Too bad you weren't looking last year, you could have bought my 85.5 that I sold for $4000. It was in perfect shape with all maintenance done. Click on the 85.5 944 link in my sig for pics of it.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:54 PM
westcoastprshe
Instructor

Don't budget $4k for a repaint, just find a car with good paint to start. The extra $ spent on a car that's been taken care of will be worth it in so many ways.

A $4k repainted 944 that cost you $4k to paint is bad.
An $8k 944 that's been babied and has its original paint is good, for many reasons other than just the paint.

Also, repainted cars are worth a lot less when you sell them, and it's a shame to change colors (that hurts resale even more.) Given that red is the most common color for a 944, you should not have a hard time finding a decent one.

Don't bother with ebay, just be patient and look for cars locally, one will come up eventually.

And don't buy Pirellis

Also, if you want to go to some factory 16/17" wheels down the road, look for an 87+, if you want to be able to run Fuchs (which I think are the best wheels ever for an NA especially) get an 85.5/86.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would rather get a car with good paint, and pay the extra $2k up front! A car with bad paint and a sloppy exterior could mean the other stuff has been neglected. Why start behind the 8 ball?

$6k will buy you a better example, with lower miles, and good exterior and interior. That way, you can spend the rest on maintenance, or the other stuff you mentioned.

Buy the best example. Don't get a cheapo with faded paint and interior issues for $3500, then spend another $3k on it! My .02

Andy
Old 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I just recently bought mine and consider it to be a little on the high risk side but worth what I paid. I found the car on ebay but bought it later after the auction was over. (It was about 4 hours away down in the VA beach area)

84 944 auto with 155k miles
PO was a nice guy who was planning on keeping this one and completely restoring untill he a 928.
He bought it for $2500 about a year ago with a rebuilt engine that I have no specifics on, and only but 4000 miles on it since he bought it.
He had it painted and replaced both axles, new pads and resurfaced the rotors all around. A bunch of little stuff ect.

He sold it to me for $3500 which I thought was pretty decent.

I'm going to completely re-do the interior over this summer though.

I wasn't overly excited about it being an automatic, but i live in NoVA and I would like to use it as a daily driver.

I'm sure if your patient, you can find a great car with the amount your planning to spend.

Maybe one that is allready the way you want without needing anything

PO had it for 1 year and
Old 04-13-2004, 06:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Hell, I'll sell you my 944S for around $6k - $7k after the engine has been rebuilt. Paint is awesome, interior is even better......

I tried to raffle my car off, nobody seamed to want it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=944s
Old 04-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats a good deal hacker!

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new :)