Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Options/Specs for Red 968 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 04:01 PM
Minden!
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
Since you need new tires perhaps you can up your budget and buy some used rims with decent tires. To find a decent set of rims, as you are discovering, is very hard since the bolt pattern is only for Porsche. I just picked up this set for my '91 cabriolet

They are called "sport classic" and come in 7x17 and 9x17. These, and the turbo twists 17", are the two Porsche wheels that I like. Everyone has different tastes though. There are some nice aftermarket rims but they are often more then Porsche rims. If you look hard and long enough you can find a deal here and there. If those turbo twists you showed were real that would have been a fantastic deal. Put a search on ebay for 17" Porsche rims, I have had that search for several years when this set I bought came up. They were listed as a no reserve 7 day auction starting at $250 - no shipping, pick up in Tenn. I was in the process of moving from NJ to AZ when they came up. I drive right through Tenn. Porsche parts should never be listed as a no reserve auction! When I saw the listing I figured it would be extremely rare for someone in Tenn wanting these rims that week. I was right and was the only bidder! It took me several years searching for this set to get this deal. Normally they go for more then double your initial budget.
My advice is to familiarize yourself with the available options, there are not many, and pick the rims you like. Then start searching for them. Even if you are willing to pay full price for them it may take a while for them to come up for sale - they are relatively rare. There is an aftermarket set I really like but only one set has come up for sale in three years, sold by the time I called. If you want to pay $250 (My budget was $1600 for these rims, just got lucky) get ready to wait for years.
thank you for the insight. The wheels you scored are sharp! It looks like I will just be sticking with my cup 1s. We just had a newborn so anything more is not an option. I had no idea that “Porsches only get porsche wheels” I figured there would be a large aftermarket manufacture selection. Thank you all for your knowledge and insight.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:10 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Minden!
thank you for the insight. The wheels you scored are sharp! It looks like I will just be sticking with my cup 1s. We just had a newborn so anything more is not an option. I had no idea that “Porsches only get porsche wheels” I figured there would be a large aftermarket manufacture selection. Thank you all for your knowledge and insight.
There are aftermarket options available for Porsche, but in the correct offset for a 968, are quite expensive. Are yours OEM Cup 1's or aftermarket? OEM Cup 1's in a 968 fitment when you can find them go for 2500 and up depending on condition. I have OEM Cup 1's as well as aftermarket Turbo twists. The twists aren't exactly the correct offset, but they are close enough. IIRC, I believe the offsets are 52/47 front and rear and 17x7 front and 17x9 rear. The OEM Cup 1's are 17x7.5 and 17x9 with 65/55 offsets.

Found this link to a set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911...sAAOSwGPhf9mek

Last edited by DSMblue; 03-17-2021 at 12:13 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Minden!
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I’ve decided to stick with my cup 1s but have a question for the tech experts on tires. I’m looking at Kuhmo Ecsta PS31 for the front and Kumho Ecsta V730 for the rear.

I know there is little info on the V730 since it’s a pretty new design.

car will be in AZ and not my daily so rain/other elements aren’t my main concern.

can anyone see any reason why not to do this setup? I would put the V730 on the front but they don’t come in the size I need. And I figure take all the traction i can get even if it’s just the rear.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:31 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

mixing tires can have adverse handling effects.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:38 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Minden!
I would put the V730 on the front but they don’t come in the size I need.
Then you might want to buy a set of tires that does come in the sizes you need!
Old 03-20-2021, 02:46 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

i run these on 4 cars but for wet characteristics. most peeps toss their junk in the wet.

in 16's https://www.nokiantires.com/all-seas...ian-zline-a-s/

Quick Reply: Wheel Options/Specs for Red 968 Cab