Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOTALLED!!! Due to snow and STUPID, IDIOTIC, NO BRAINS types

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TOTALLED!!! Due to snow and STUPID, IDIOTIC, NO BRAINS types

So, how do I really feel? I think shooting that SOB would be too polite but right now I don't think I could aim. I'm so PO that I still start shaking when I think about it.

Was going down 52S in Winston this morning, got cut off at I40 west ramp by a POS Fairmont that splashed slush all over my windshield and under my wheels, leading to loss of control at all of 40mph. After bumping off the guard rails on both sides, the drivers fender, header panel, ds headlight assembly, and front valence are crunched. Insult to injury (to my car) the sideways slide bent the wheels on the drivers side as well. I'm fine other than extremely high blood pressure at the moment and ideas of "if I could find that SOB". Most of the damage is superficial, like the fender, headlight and valence. Mechanicals are fine.

So on to the problem, it's totalled, cheapest estimate is $6900. After reading what happened to others in a similar situation, how did it finally shake out for those who have been in this predicament? I do have comp and collision. At present, I'm thinking of just taking the check (if it's enough) and the car and fixing it. I don't like not being able to ever get comp/coll again if I do go that route. Other idea, take the money and the car, get a primo 931 shell and swap ALL the 951 internals into it, engine, brakes, ALL. Lighter car, can get comp/coll and still have a Porsche, I like that idea. Other idea, keep the check, part out the 951, add that $$ to the check and find another 951. That could take a while.

Regardless, the Rally is still on for 3/6 if anybody wants to come. Can't let my lack of a drivable 951 get in the way of that one. So if someone who comes wants to be lead car and let me ride shotgun with the route directions......
Old 02-27-2004, 01:41 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry dave, hate to see this happen to you and your 951....

Giving advice on what to do in this situation is hard to do with out actually seeing the car. But at least you have a few choices.

Could you take some pics so we can see how bad the damage is?

Glad you are ok.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll get some pix posted this weekend. It's probably fixable, but that puts me right back into Salvage Title situation. I'd rather avoid that. If I do fix it, I'll need drivers fender, header panel, front valence at the very least. Not to mention two wheels.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:00 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had a similar situation, you could always source your own parts and not go through the insurance company. This may end up saving you a lot of money. btw, sorry to here about that and I am glad you are ok. Buying used parts will save you a ton of money.

My car was rearended and it broke the valance the muffler and put a small dent where it says porsche. I got several estimates, most where over 5 thousand and I sourced all of the parts my self. I got a used GHL exhaust and a valence together cost me 550 and then got the whole car painted for 2100 including fixing some small previous damage from someone backing into me. Hope all works out for you.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, what I'm thinking at the moment is, rather than spend bunches on sourcing used parts, accept the total and get the 931. (I'm kicking myself cause I sold all that stuff a while back.) I kinda like the idea of a 931 with a 951 powertrain and suspension. I have all the stuff, and if I accept the check from the ins, I'll have lots of $$ to pull this off, buy more tools and still have a good bit left over. That leaves me with $$ in pocket , no 951 , pocket rocket stealth 931 . This might work out ok yet.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:16 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got some early NA headlight raising mechanism parts + the lenses and bulbs and casing for the headlight. You can have them all for the cost of shipping - actually, I'll split the cost with you - if you decide to repair it.
The parts need wiggle work to fit perfectly... they are actually different part numbers than the 951 headlight parts.
It's all I can offer - which it could be more. I hope the thought helps you remember you've got what counts - your life. We're all here to help in any way we can.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer Jake. I still have a complete mechanism from an 88na. I haven't made any decisions yet but if someone can help locate an 82 931 in good condition, don't care if it's running, that may factor into the outcome.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:26 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

well dude...it could have been worse...but hey...if you are going to get rid of it....can I have the body? its for a movie.....heh....

seriously though...that sucks so much asscrack it isn't even funny...its like...i could hunt the guy down for you..what color was teh car? I am sure i could find the bastard
Old 02-27-2004, 02:38 PM
IllMillRam1500
Instructor

Sorry to hear abou that Dave. At least your alright. I really enjoyed driving and riding in that car. Did you have any chance to get the plate #? Were there any witnesses? That could play out as crutial if they find the guy and go to court. What am I thinking...of course your not hurt. You were driving one of the finest automibiles in the world. I dont know why there has to be suck ********* out there. That mother fu**** probably saw a Porsche and thought he had something to prove. The 931 sounds like a pretty good idea, although Ive never actually been in or driven one. If you can get $$ in your pocket thats even better. How long until the 924 is up and running? What are you driving now? Wish I could help you but Im up here in EBF AK.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:39 PM
IllMillRam1500
Instructor

Originally posted by bloodraven
well dude...it could have been worse...but hey...if you are going to get rid of it....can I have the body? its for a movie.....heh....

seriously though...that sucks so much asscrack it isn't even funny...its like...i could hunt the guy down for you..what color was teh car? I am sure i could find the bastard
Agreed bloodraven.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

What precipitated the chain of events was a non-descript Fairmont cutting across a couple lanes of slushy roads to get on the I40W exit on 52S. The slush between the lane went all over the front of my car and with windshield. So, no I couldn't see much of anything, then the front end started slipping too with all the crap thrown at the front of the car. Kinda like an automotive mugging. I'm still discussing this with the ins co and will make some kind of decision next week. maybe. perhaps. don't know.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:49 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

well, like i said...if you decide to do teh 931 thing, I would be more than happy to buy the 951 shell from you...unless you plan on selling the parts off of it...and if that is the case...i could probably think of a few things i woudl try and buy from you....
Old 02-27-2004, 02:56 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, a no sooner than a guy is down and the vultures start circling!!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junkyards are your friend for body panels. check out mine....Porsche only. lotsa 944 and a couple 951. www.dartauto.com got me a new window for $25.00 when those mother f*ckers broke mine and stole my stereo....I'm still a lil bitter about that....
Old 02-27-2004, 03:07 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

also, didn't mention the ins. didn't want to total mine but I hope what I said helped out.

Quick Reply: TOTALLED!!! Due to snow and STUPID, IDIOTIC, NO BRAINS types