Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this dash vent lever control???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 AM
MattSlay
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What does this dash vent lever control???

As I removed my dash vents for cleaning, I see a small square switch located behind one of the levers on the left-most set of vent louvers in the dash. After a little googling, it appears they called this a "****", not a "lever", and the the part number of the "****" appears to be P/N 944 572 419.

The **** can be pushed in and it will stay in , then you push it again and it comes out.

Does anyone know what this ****/push button actually controls in the heater or AC system????

(Photos below)

Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

That switch is used to reset the trip odometer in the bottom of the speedometer.

It should not "push on, push off" but instead is a momentary switch that applies voltage to a solenoid in the odometer to zero the trip mileage.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 AM
MattSlay
Instructor

Thanks PaulD_944S2 - makes a lot of sense...

I went back to play with the "****", and indeed I see that it was designed as a momentary type of push-button ****, but the truth is, if I push it in far enough, it seems to dislodge from the guides that surround it, and I can actually get it to stay in a depresses position without popping back out. Mine is no doubt worn a bit, huh?

Regardless, now that I know what it does, I can use it for its intended purpose, and I'll be care to operate without leaving it stuck in.

BTW, since you so smart on this 944 stuff, please see my other post right before this one asking about a sensor that is in that same general area behind the dash vents Let's see if you can go 2-for-2 in the same night...
Old 07-18-2019, 07:12 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by MattSlay
Thanks PaulD_944S2 - makes a lot of sense...

I went back to play with the "****", and indeed I see that it was designed as a momentary type of push-button ****, but the truth is, if I push it in far enough, it seems to dislodge from the guides that surround it, and I can actually get it to stay in a depresses position without popping back out. Mine is no doubt worn a bit, huh?

Regardless, now that I know what it does, I can use it for its intended purpose, and I'll be care to operate without leaving it stuck in.

BTW, since you so smart on this 944 stuff, please see my other post right before this one asking about a sensor that is in that same general area behind the dash vents Let's see if you can go 2-for-2 in the same night...

Perhaps, with the **** not actually pressing the switch, it may be going past it's intended range of motion and binding due to that. Reinstall, verify operation and press on to next project.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:36 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

'they say' not to push that button while the car is moving or you get to buy a odometer gear set. the switch is the spring.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM
MattSlay
Instructor

@SeaCay - Actually, I was pressing the button while the vents were removed from the dash, so maybe that's why it presses in further than normal, which was making me think it can become messed up. I bet once I install the vents back in the car, it will hit the button in the dash and the travel will stop at normal location, and not become dis-engaged.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:44 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
'they say' not to push that button while the car is moving or you get to buy a odometer gear set. the switch is the spring.
NOW I read this...........grrr....
Old 07-24-2019, 08:04 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Originally Posted by George Boss
NOW I read this...........grrr....
This is not correct, you can push it anytime without issue.

Quick Reply: What does this dash vent lever control???