Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood won't pop open

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:58 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts
Default hood won't pop open

Have been trying to determine cause of hood not opening when pulling on cable release. Have verified that cable moves fine, unlatches primary lock. However, it doesn't pop the hood up so that I can access the secondary release. This is on a 92 968. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I presume the 968 has the same hood latch as the 944, if it does then there is a spring that “pops” the hood up once it has been released by the cable. That spring tension can be adjusted by the nut at the base as shown in the photo below. It will also adjust the height of the pin that latches the hood so you may have to play with the height until it’s just right.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I presume the 968 has the same hood latch as the 944, if it does then there is a spring that “pops” the hood up once it has been released by the cable. That spring tension can be adjusted by the nut at the base as shown in the photo below. It will also adjust the height of the pin that latches the hood so you may have to play with the height until it’s just right.

Actually, it is different. There is a separate spring inside a tube that is supposed to pop the hood up, and there is no tension adjustment that I can see vs. the much more straightforward 944 setup. Here is an image from PET of the pop up piece:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
hood latch.pdf (14.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:19 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Actually, it is different...
Ah I see, sorry I can’t be of assistance, I’m strictly 80’s technology
Old 07-08-2019, 07:10 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, the 968 hood latch is different. A bit more complicated than the 944 latch. This is my own hood latch on my 92 and this is how it works as best as I can tell...

A: Secondary latch. A safety latch if you will. This is what you have to press on to allow the hood to raise all the way up.
B: The main hood latch that keeps the hood down and flush with the fenders when the hood is closed. This has a spring on it to keep pressure upwards against 'C' when closed but allows the hood to pop up when you release the hood cable. You can barely see the 2 ends of the spring poking out on the right of the latch assembly. It holds 'E' down tight when the hood is closed.
C: This latch is what releases when you pull the hood release cable in the drivers side foot well. It holds 'B' down when the hood is closed. It also has a spring on it that also puts upward pressure on it all the time.
D: This is the 'popper'. It's the barrel with a spring inside of it. This is what pops the hood up to allow you to get your fingers in there to release 'A' when you want to raise the hood.

So with all that said, when you pull the hood release cable, it unlocks 'C' by pulling it down which allows 'B' to pop up, releasing 'E', which then allows 'D' to push the hood up thus allowing you to reach in and pull the lever on 'A' to open the hood fully.

I messed with my popper and it is a strong spring in there. It takes quite a bit of oomph to press it down. Now the only thing that holds it in the latch are three little tabs or fingers. I don't know if those can be bent up to take it out to disassemble it but I would imagine it's worth a shot if yours doesn't work right. There is a hole in the bottom of the barrel presumably to let rain water drain out so maybe use that to pump it full of grease or something.

The other option is to buy a new popper part which is available separately. Part number 944.511.331.00.

So how do you open the hood? If the latches are working properly but the popper isn't popping the hood up you need to get something stiff under the front lip of the hood and pull it up. If it were my own car I'd use an old butter knife bent 90* and wrapped in masking tape to get in there enough to lift the hood up.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:04 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

I have just been using edges of my fingers to pry the hood so that I can get it up enough to release the secondary latch. Already had "D" apart once, didn't see anything unusual, but I agree that it appears ordering that piece is probably the best course of action. Between "B" and "C", how much overlap is there when it is locked? I don't have much, but it seems like that it doesn't really need much. Will try to take a picture tomorrow evening. Was still messing with driver's door panel tonight. Lots of little projects to get this car back to where it's supposed to be. BTW, where in Iowa are you?

Last edited by DSMblue; 07-09-2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Between "B" and "C", how much overlap is there when it is locked? I don't have much, but it seems like that it doesn't really need much. Will try to take a picture tomorrow evening....BTW, where in Iowa are you?
If you look on the end of the bottom finger of B there is a tiny shiny spot at the very end. That's all that C holds down. Maybe 3 or 4 mm? It isn't much at all. And I'm clear west over by Omaha.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
If you look on the end of the bottom finger of B there is a tiny shiny spot at the very end. That's all that C holds down. Maybe 3 or 4 mm? It isn't much at all. And I'm clear west over by Omaha.
Yep, that makes sense, about right on mine. Do you ever go to WOEE at Pinnacle Bank? I went there once last year or year before, don't remember now. If you're in DSM area, let me know.

Quick Reply: hood won't pop open