Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEMA 2019 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default SEMA 2019 Build Thread

Widerstandsfahig is coming together with a host of tremendous sponsors this year, an outstanding owner, and one heck of a 951 for SEMA 2019. Following Widerstandsfahig 001's appearance at the SEMA show last year as a Hot Wheels Legends car, Widerstandsfahig 006 will offer a completely fresh look for the widebody outlaw series.

The Project Nine bodywork package will be displayed for the first time in its entirety on this Widerstandsfahig build. Some of the widebody development has been featured in the Project Nine thread but most was kept quiet with this build in mind.

Please join along for the next four months and watch as this special Porsche comes together.

The render below is by Anqui Design and is a very close representation of Widerstandsfahig 006 build. We've made some changes, one of which is not running the chassis mount wing. Opting for a piece much closer to the heritage of the chassis. Some of the color details will also change. The rest of the story is to come....

The following users liked this post:
Miggytosh (07-09-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:25 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Here is a photo of what we started with. A 1987 951 from California, white with brown interior, wrapped in the Rothman's livery (Hiding the bumps and bruises).
Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow excited to see this one unfold! Your craftsmanship is spot on and always enjoy seeing your builds.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

The disassembly.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Outside for a good wash before metalwork.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 AM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It's about time - I was wondering when a proper 944 would show up at SEMA. I think we're going to see more of them in the coming years.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
It's about time - I was wondering when a proper 944 would show up at SEMA. I think we're going to see more of them in the coming years.
Oh just you wait until its done. The interior will be a special place to be.

-By the way I am the owner of the car if anyone has any questions.
951and944S (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

The bodywork. Most of what you see in this photo is the first production of the piece. All of it is fresh out of the mold and ready to trim and fit.

Everything except the bumper is produced and will be available through Project Nine.

951and944S (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Here are a few images of getting started with the metalwork before stripping the paint.

But first, a trial run on an old beat up fender to ensure the drop in fender vents fit well. This is the first set of these vents produced.

....and now the real deal. Templets seemed like the right idea. A mistake would be problematic to say the least.

Measure twice...cut once, maybe twice and another.

The fender has also been cut to accommodate a larger wheel along with the widebody. The edge will be folded along the scribed line. This nose is not going to stay with the car so it wasn't trimmed to match.

The first vent went into place without hassle.

Lets throw an over fender on shall we??

Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

One vent down, three to go. Let's tackle the passenger front fender.

Cut, laid over, and ready to fit the vent.

Vent installed and its ready to fit the over fender.

Nailed it.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

An image of the front with the fenders mocked up.

Here is a shot of the chin spoiler in development for the kit. The lines on the yellow tape on each fender represent the outline of the finished piece. It will rise 4.5" on the trailing end with a gradual taper.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

@Robert_325i , well, you are in good hands.
Props for stepping up for this build.

@Widerstandsfahig , man, you are delivering all the way, 100% on the vision.
If I'd have waited, I'd be cust. #2 but I already cut away my rears for wide body 1/4s and have started on space widening my fiberglass fronts.

The rocker ledge is gonna work perfect.

IS this whole kit within the PCA max width we talked about at the beginning, including "aftermarket rockers are legal but can not extend more than 3" beyond factory panel"...?

What's the chances that the Alpine White 944T nose that is not being used is available for purchase...?
I need one to complete a stock body repaint and I only like single stage donor parts...., this one fits the bill.

Subscribed and following.

If final widths are in accordance to the max allowable, I just might reroute my current tub to another SP2 car and scoop up a local 944S donor car I have on hold just to use this kit.
My engine is a "Masta-Piece".
Putting a car on grid with this kit would be on another level.

Congrats to both you and the owner, this thing is gonna be over the top.

T
Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 AM
Its_Lobelt
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S

If I'd have waited, I'd be cust. #2 but I already cut away my rears for wide body 1/4s and have started on space widening my fiberglass fronts

IS this whole kit within the PCA max width we talked about at the beginning, including "aftermarket rockers are legal but can not extend more than 3" beyond factory panel"...?

What's the chances that the Alpine White 944T nose that is not being used is available for purchase...?
I need one to complete a stock body repaint and I only like single stage donor parts...., this one fits the bill.

If final widths are in accordance to the max allowable, I just might reroute my current tub to another SP2 car and scoop up a local 944S donor car I have on hold just to use this kit.

Congrats to both you and the owner, this thing is gonna be over the top.

T
@951and944S thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. Its a huge undertaking both financially and creatively but it will all be worth it in the end. Brian is the perfect person to work with on a project like this. I highly recommend him. Very communicative and talented.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 951and944S

If I'd have waited, I'd be cust. #2 but I already cut away my rears for wide body 1/4s and have started on space widening my fiberglass fronts.

Congrats to both you and the owner, this thing is g

T
Hello T,
I'm not sure that the rockers will meet the requirement unless it is from the outermost point of the panel and not directly perpendicular. Advise and I'll do some measuring.
As for the nose, it has seen better days. There are various places on the interior where it is stitched together. Really not a good candidate.

-Brian
Old 07-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Widerstandsfahig
Former Vendor

The rear fenders present a little more work than the front fenders. I like to trim the outer fender to length and work the inner fender to mate with the outer on a bent flange. Then, rivets on the flange and seam sealer on the interior.

In the following image, I've bent the mentioned flange on the outer fender and ready to start working the inner fender.

Quick Reply: SEMA 2019 Build Thread