Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 944 clutch parts needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 07:22 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 487 Likes on 185 Posts
Default 1987 944 clutch parts needed

My 1987 944 NA Automatic rubber dampener failed. Rubber pieces falling out - it's a mess. I know it's a huge job just to get to the dampener, but the local mechanic shops don't want to touch it so we'll be doing it ourselves. I've been reading that a used clutch (pressure plate, clutch plate & flywheel) replacement / modification is actually better & cheaper than installing a new dampener ($1000 new). I believe the flywheel has to be off of a NA 944, so a Turbo or 968 flywheel won't work. Not sure if the 87 has a 8 or 16 valve configuration (or if that matters). Other than that, there's not a lot of information on this modification.
I have a few questions:
1. Is there a thread or DIY tutorial / write up that's available? Clark's Garage has the rest of the procedures - dropping the exhaust, removing the tranny, TT, etc, but nothing on HOW TO DO this modification.
2. Do I need more than just a used flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate? I believe the throw out bearing & clutch fork are NOT required because you never disengage the clutch.
3. Anything else I'm missing?
4. And finally, does anyone have a used 944 NA clutch set up they'd like to sell and get out of their garage?

Please feel free to call if you have the parts available @ (614) 886 - three, five, one, one.

Thanks in advance!
Joel
Old 07-07-2019, 10:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

check with Plyhammer in Versailles, OH for parts.

you just put the clutch in place of your damper..flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate. engage the clutch disc with the driveshaft splines...just like a clutch job.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm confused. Does your car presently have an automatic or manual transmission? It sounds mostly like you're out to install a new clutch on your manual transmission equipped car, but then you threw in that term 'automatic dampener'. Perhaps you meant 'rubber-centered' clutch disc. Either way I can't wrap my head around why you'd want to install used parts. A new clutch is something like $650.00, not $1000.00. Any decent import-focused shop should be willing and able to do the job for you, though it will be expensive.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

tempest - the automatic 944s have a rubber plate connecting their flywheel to their driveshaft, a vibration damper of sorts similar in function to the original rubber center clutch disc.

when the rubber plate invariably wears out/blows up, new ones are hard to find and are over $1000 for just that one piece.

so a semi-common fix due to the 944's unique layout is to replace that rubber unit with a used manual clutch setup. all it has to do is provide a connection from the engine flywheel to the driveshaft, but since it will never be uncoupled (no clutch hydraulics) even a good used one is OK as long as it still clamps under the pressure plate springs..
Old 07-08-2019, 02:48 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
tempest - the automatic 944s have a rubber plate connecting their flywheel to their driveshaft, a vibration damper of sorts similar in function to the original rubber center clutch disc.

when the rubber plate invariably wears out/blows up, new ones are hard to find and are over $1000 for just that one piece.

so a semi-common fix due to the 944's unique layout is to replace that rubber unit with a used manual clutch setup. all it has to do is provide a connection from the engine flywheel to the driveshaft, but since it will never be uncoupled (no clutch hydraulics) even a good used one is OK as long as it still clamps under the pressure plate springs..
Really? Thank you for clarifying that. I hadn't come across that before. I'd think you wouldn't want to be hauling around the extra weight of that setup..You may as well go the extra distance and do a full auto to manual swap.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 487 Likes on 185 Posts

Thanks for the replies! Awesome, I'll contact Plyhammer today!

Yes, it's a strange request but we actually LIKE the automatic tranny 944... I know, I know... it's pretty damn slooooooow... but on the other hand we do a LOT of city driving and the auto tranny 944 is perfect in stop and go traffic. The reason for the modification is not only is a new dampener well over $1000, but it's complicated by two things: 1. You have to find a shop to do the work (that's if you can find a shop with a guy who knows 944s - good luck) and, 2. It's a 15 hour job by the book. They'll charge even more hours if they have to "figure it out" themselves. Frankly, they'd rather not bother with it and I had two shops tell me they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it right off the bat... The others either promised an estimate and never called back or have priced themselves out of the job...

So, we've decided to do the work ourselves - it's a really clean example and we've already fixed EVERYTHING else (knock on wood). I'd hate to part it out over something as simple as replacing the dampener, even if it's a big PITA job.

Thanks again for the help!! I'll report back on our progress and/or the finished product. Wish us luck!!
Old 07-23-2019, 02:51 PM
RKT951
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 3/4 new turbo clutch and pressure plate I switched to spec stage 3 when I changed the engine to a 3.0

Quick Reply: 1987 944 clutch parts needed