Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing all the 944S problems now that it's painted

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Really? How did you get the bolt on the compressor, there's about a millimeter of space in there to get a wrench to hold it.

Well, went in this morning to take a look: The rear M8 bolt has stripped the threads on the compressor flange, because of the special spacer you can't put a M10 in there. The front bolt had backed out about 1/2 an inch then broke upwards. My guess is the natural vibrations of the compressor cause these bolts to back out. I did not have a lock washer on the front or back (because Porsche didn't call for one. Oi) so after some searching I came up with a 60mm front bolt, M10 and M8 washers, M8 lock washers, and M8 nylon lock nuts.

I'm going to try to re-assemble with the M8 nylon lock nuts on the back and the M10 lock washer on the front and tighten it to the most torque I can put on it. The back bolt is pretty much blind, but I think I can jam a long screwdriver in there to hold the nut while tightening the back bolt. Then we'll see what happens. However this does have to be the most mickey mouse system out there, on the 928S it's a similar compressor but only with one belt going to the engine shaft and not the alternator as well. No problems there at all which is why I thought maybe the compressor is bad. However since this happens to other people it's probably not unique.

Last edited by Christopher Zach; 07-11-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Zach
...I need to use a sledgehammer to fix my Porsche more often.
When we moved from NY to CO my wife made me leave the sledgehammer with my brother specifically because she feared i would use it to fix the Porsche. I plan on taking her to Harbor Freight one of these days and when in the store ask her to pick out a sledgehammer. Bwahahahah.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Well, AC compressor is back in. I used a combination of nylon locknuts and lock washers on the back bolt, and used a washer+lock washer on the front bolt. I tightened the rear bolt as tight as I could with a stubby 13mm wrench on the bolt, then put the belt on (which makes the bolt blind), set the tension to tight, then tightened the back nut as much as I could, and tightened the front nut till it would not move anymore.

That's about as tight as I can get it. If it works loose again I will use locktite. If it works loose after that I will weld the bolts to the frame and be done with it.

Now on to the next set of problems.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

And it seems to have survived a 30 minute drive. In this soup kitchen we call Maryland, having AC is critical and it's blowing nice and cold, around 25/225psi at the gauges.

Now to see if the U boat floods with all the rain that's coming.... The new trunk and passenger seals are on and the roof hatch is closed....
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Christopher Zach
Rennlist Member

Found the leak problem. Detailed in another thread, but in a nutshell I used water in a tube to verify that the leak was coming from the passenger front drain hose. Taking off the trim panel showed that the hose had shrunk over the years and had come out of the metal drain part by the dashboard. Thus leak. Stretched the drain hose manually and it now goes into the drain tube properly. Will monitor over a year and see how it works long term.

Quick Reply: Fixing all the 944S problems now that it's painted