Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Took the 944 plunge (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/1145946-took-the-944-plunge.html)

Swedge 06-02-2019 11:19 AM

Took the 944 plunge

I've been scanning CL locally for a while for an older model Porsche (affordable) that I could tinker with and turn into a Daily Driver. Yesterday I bit on a 1984 944 for $3300.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6e9bfd9c00.jpg

It has 108K on the odometer. Mechanically in great shape. Body in good condition besides peeling clear coat and fading paint. Looks like it's been tinkered with here and there with non OEM switches and such. The biggest thing is I doubt the timing belt and water pump have been changed out - no service records beyond the first owner in the log book. I have yet to fully excavate the car because there are a couple boxes of spare parts in the trunk, maybe more service records there. Unless I find specific evidence of of those being replaced I'll start there on my 'renovation' before driving it any significant distance.

I'm aware of Clark's Garage and there are a ton of YouTube videos on repairs - any other "Must Have" resource recommendations would be appreciated.

Shawn Stanford 06-02-2019 05:49 PM

It looks great. Enjoy it!

harveyf 06-03-2019 10:43 AM

Congrats. Hopefully you are a hands on guy because any 35 year old car, including a Porsche, will have some needs. Your question is fairly typically. You might just scroll back through previous Rennlist threads posted by new owners to pick up the most common comments. I've gone through both an 84 and an 85 in the last few years. My journey is covered on my website www.newhillgarage.com. I'm sure you'll find most of the rubber parts are in tough shape. The 84 NA is a pretty easy car to work on. Have fun!

Swedge 06-03-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by harveyf (Post 15883148)
Congrats. Hopefully you are a hands on guy because any 35 year old car, including a Porsche, will have some needs. Your question is fairly typically. You might just scroll back through previous Rennlist threads posted by new owners to pick up the most common comments. I've gone through both an 84 and an 85 in the last few years. My journey is covered on my website www.newhillgarage.com. I'm sure you'll find most of the rubber parts are in tough shape. The 84 NA is a pretty easy car to work on. Have fun!

Yep I consider myself pretty good with my hands and technically adept. I'm fully aware that this is going to be an ongoing project. Not planning on taking it to a shop unless it's an engine rebuild or transmission work. Just looking to prioritize where to start - from most 'life threatening' to cosmetic :) Timing belt & water pump are first on the list.

Thanks for the link - that E-type is freaking gorgeous!

Scott at Team Harco 06-03-2019 01:41 PM

Where are you in Michigan?

Some say, there is a guy here that has some experience with these cars.

Congratulations.

harveyf 06-03-2019 02:32 PM

As far as life threatening is concerned, brakes would be generically at the top of my list. Rebuilding the calipers with new rubber parts is quite inexpensive and an interesting project. You can get a new steel master cylinder from Paragon, etc. for a little over $100. Get new flexible brake lines and you will be there.

Also, as you will come to find, the rubber fuel lines that go from and to the firewall to the fuel rail are a high risk item. Rennbay sells a kit that is cost effective, although be warned you will have to remove some items to get to the "cut point" on the firewall.

Clean out the fuel tank before you even think about starting it.

And so on and so on. It's a journey.

And yes, Etypes are easy on the eyes :)

Swedge 06-03-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco (Post 15883603)
Where are you in Michigan?

Some say, there is a guy here that has some experience with these cars.

Congratulations.

SW Michigan - Battle Creek to be exact. I see you're on the East Side, north of Ann Arbor.

About 1.5hrs away.

Swedge 06-03-2019 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by harveyf (Post 15883729)
As far as life threatening is concerned, brakes would be generically at the top of my list. Rebuilding the calipers with new rubber parts is quite inexpensive and an interesting project. You can get a new steel master cylinder from Paragon, etc. for a little over $100. Get new flexible brake lines and you will be there.

Also, as you will come to find, the rubber fuel lines that go from and to the firewall to the fuel rail are a high risk item. Rennbay sells a kit that is cost effective, although be warned you will have to remove some items to get to the "cut point" on the firewall.

Clean out the fuel tank before you even think about starting it.

And so on and so on. It's a journey.

And yes, Etypes are easy on the eyes :)

I guess now the detective work begins. Getting the vehicle in the air and see what we've got for brakes and previous modifications. Easy enough to do when I start on the timing belt/water pump.

Scott at Team Harco 06-04-2019 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Swedge (Post 15883860)
SW Michigan - Battle Creek to be exact. I see you're on the East Side, north of Ann Arbor.

About 1.5hrs away.

True. Let me know if you get stumped, or need an odd part. :cheers:

fwb42 06-04-2019 10:53 AM

First of all, WELCOME ! The above post are spot on, So I don't have much to offer. For fun you need to read about the "944 Fest" held here in Ohio. You'll have more fun than expected and learn about your car from the 944 group.
Fred

Swedge 06-04-2019 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by fwb42 (Post 15885587)
First of all, WELCOME ! The above post are spot on, So I don't have much to offer. For fun you need to read about the "944 Fest" held here in Ohio. You'll have more fun than expected and learn about your car from the 944 group.
Fred

Thanks!

Only 4 1/2 hrs from here, not too bad. Don't think it will be ready for the DE by then, but might just have to stop by and check out the other 944's

Swedge 06-07-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by harveyf (Post 15883729)

I was looking last night at the fuel routing - I see that mine runs from the driver side wheel well across the intake to the fuel rail . It looks like this from Clark's Garage pics (not my vehicle)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...990bcd3f1a.jpg
Image from Clark's Garage.

and not like the later models that run from the passenger side across the header and valve cover. The hoses look in pretty good shape, couldn't find a date on them. Maybe I'm incorrectly assuming that the fire hazard is not quite as great with these as with the later models. I still plan on replacing them either way, but maybe just looking for a little peace of mind.

I did see the kit on Rennbay and mine looks to be the early 1984 style fuel lines. As far as installation it should be similar to the passenger side replacement, with removal of the wheel and wheel well cover to get access to the cut points. I cant'f find any videos/walkthroughs for these lines, just the later passenger side lines.

harveyf 06-07-2019 02:21 PM

You are right, your lines don't run over the exhaust manifold like on the later cars, which is good because they don't see as much rubber killing heat and also, if they do spring a leak, it most likely won't fall directly on the hot manifold. In an immediate sense, you can inspect the hoses for obvious cracking. You can also squeeze them with pliers and get a rough idle of how supple they are.

Not as much of a safety issue but annoying will be any of the various hoses that see manifold vacuum. If they are cracked and leak, that will introduce driveability issues. A good project to plan on is to do a "top end refresh" where you basically strip everything off the car down to and including the intake manifold, then go back with fresh hoses and gaskets. That would be a good time to also do the fuel hoses.

Take a lot of pictures as you take things apart and you should be fine. I can't think of any special tools required to do the top end. I assume the big sticker with the vacuum hose diagram is intact in your engine compartment. It is a schematic, not an exact layout, but if you study it the routing of the hoses should start to make sense. It is a big help when you are putting things back together.

Swedge 06-19-2019 09:40 AM

I had a little bit of free time the other day and just took a good look under the hood and look at wiring and hose conditions. It does look like plug wires and some hoses had been done 'recently' and are in decent shape except for one hose coming off the air cleaner. I have not been able identify the smaller hose that comes off the passenger side of the air cleaner. (see pic below) All the parts diagrams show the air cleaner from the driver's side hiding that hose. It's quite degraded and would love to swap it out.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e0dc0853df.jpg

Scott at Team Harco 06-19-2019 10:34 AM

The big one is just a vent hose that allows for a small amount of vacuum to the timing belt covers. Probably available from many used parts guys (Plyhammer, for example). I'm sure I have one that you are welcome to come and collect. Better yet, attend 944Fest, and I'll bring one for you.

I think the smaller one may go to the idle speed control. I'd have to investigate more, but I think you might want to get that sorted. I'll see if I can find it in the parts diagram.