Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the 944 plunge

Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I think the smaller one may go to the idle speed control. I'd have to investigate more, but I think you might want to get that sorted. I'll see if I can find it in the parts diagram.
Think I found it. It's on the vacuum part list and not the Air cleaner part list.

I think this might be the part Intake Air Box Venturi Hose another place called it Idle Control Valve Vacuum Hose. I think the OEM part # is 944-110-173-00

#18 on this diagram ( from einmalig)I believe. So probably something that should be replaced asap eh?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Swedge
Think I found it. It's on the vacuum part list and not the Air cleaner part list.

I think this might be the part Intake Air Box Venturi Hose another place called it Idle Control Valve Vacuum Hose. I think the OEM part # is 944-110-173-00

#18 on this diagram ( from einmalig)I believe. So probably something that should be replaced asap eh?

I agree you will want to address that soon. You may have broken off part of item #7, as there is something extending out of that hose in your photo. Edit: after looking closer, that white piece may just be an elbow.
Also - the diagram you have attached (from the link) lists that as the later 944 (85.5 ->). Your car is an 84 and probably has a different configuration. You're probably on the right track, but be very careful before you throw money at a wrong part.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Cheers, thanks for the catch on the date. Pic came from a Goggle search and then backtrack to the site. So I'll make sure I double I'm getting the right year part & diagram.

Also that white piece is an elbow. I'll double check on the 1984 parts manual to make sure I've got the right OEM # to cross reference from. Also I'll might pull the air filter to get a better view of where that hose ends up. Just kind of dives down under and toward the front of the car.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Cheers, thanks for the catch on the date. Pic came from a Goggle search and then backtrack to the site. So I'll make sure I double I'm getting the right year part & diagram.

Also that white piece is an elbow. I'll double check on the 1984 parts manual to make sure I've got the right OEM # to cross reference from. Also I'll might pull the air filter to get a better view of where that hose ends up. Just kind of dives down under and toward the front of the car.
It's never too soon to learn how to remove the air filter. That is one of the first things that needs to come off on nearly any job in the engine compartment. From there you should be able to tell where that hose goes and from where it came. It might even be an EVAP line. I can't really tell from the picture. That, and all of my 944s are of a later vintage...

It may be possible to replace with an inexpensive 'universal' (fuel) hose, if it's just a vent line.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

If you haven't already, google "Porsche PET". Go to the Porsche classic parts link and you can download a pdf of the parts diagram, direct from Porsche, for free! That's a deal that doesn't come by too often Get the one for 1982-85 944. As I think I said before, the vacuum hose diagram stuck inside the engine compartment is also your friend. You can get bootleg CDs/pdfs of the Porsche shop manuals for about $20. Check on ebay.

I'm going to say the braided hose that leads to the white elbow fitting is leading to your fuel vapor capture system. But armed with the above documents, try and identify all the hoses that you can see and where they lead to. This will be valuable as you get into minor "top end refresh work".
Old 06-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by harveyf
If you haven't already, google "Porsche PET". Go to the Porsche classic parts link and you can download a pdf of the parts diagram, direct from Porsche, for free! That's a deal that doesn't come by too often Get the one for 1982-85 944. As I think I said before, the vacuum hose diagram stuck inside the engine compartment is also your friend. You can get bootleg CDs/pdfs of the Porsche shop manuals for about $20. Check on ebay.

I'm going to say the braided hose that leads to the white elbow fitting is leading to your fuel vapor capture system. But armed with the above documents, try and identify all the hoses that you can see and where they lead to. This will be valuable as you get into minor "top end refresh work".
All true. I specifically looked at the 82-85 PET to see if I could identify that hose and the elbow. Came away with nothing. Maybe sharper eyes and brighter minds will locate it.

Failing that, removing the air box and tracing both ends of the hose should provide real clues as to its function and should assist in identifying it in the PET.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Swedge
Instructor

All true. I specifically looked at the 82-85 PET to see if I could identify that hose and the elbow. Came away with nothing. Maybe sharper eyes and brighter minds will locate it.

Failing that, removing the air box and tracing both ends of the hose should provide real clues as to its function and should assist in identifying it in the PET.
I think we've gotten a little sidetracked where the main hose I'm concerned about is the black rubber (not braided) coming off the air cleaner - this one is cracked up at the air cleaner attachment - I just don't know where it goes after the air cleaner. The braided one with the white elbow seems to be in good shape and not in need of replacement right now.

Eitherway, maybe I'll have some time this weekend to pull that box and get a little more info. For now some electrical tape should help ;P until the right replacement gets identified and ordered.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I think we've gotten a little sidetracked where the main hose I'm concerned about is the black rubber (not braided) coming off the air cleaner - this one is cracked up at the air cleaner attachment - I just don't know where it goes after the air cleaner. The braided one with the white elbow seems to be in good shape and not in need of replacement right now.

Eitherway, maybe I'll have some time this weekend to pull that box and get a little more info. For now some electrical tape should help ;P until the right replacement gets identified and ordered.
That larger hose is not a big deal. A temporary fix with tape should be fine. It just vents the space within the timing belt covers.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Swedge
Instructor

That larger hose is not a big deal. A temporary fix with tape should be fine. It just vents the space within the timing belt covers.
A little more digging led me to this thread @ 944 Online - Which comes to the conclusion that both holes (in the upper Air Filter Box and back of the Timing Cover) should be capped instead of being replaced. I guess there was a technical service bulletin recommending this (haven't located this yet.. but I think I'm on the right track.

Is that the hose that goes from the air box to timing belt cover? If so, I believe Porsche put out a service bulletin saying to remove the hose and cap both ends. Apparently it was found to speed up the wearing out of the timing belt. I capped the air box and timing cover openings on my car.
Looks like the hose from the airbox to the timing belt cover as another member mentioned. Porsche later realized this was a terrible idea because debris would get in from the airbox and in rare situations, caused failures. Cap the holes off and forget about it.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

A little more digging led me to this thread @ 944 Online - Which comes to the conclusion that both holes (in the upper Air Filter Box and back of the Timing Cover) should be capped instead of being replaced. I guess there was a technical service bulletin recommending this (haven't located this yet.. but I think I'm on the right track.
Capping them off is probably fine. I don't put any weight to the comments that Porsche later discovered this design was flawed. Until I see a genuine TSB stating otherwise, I am keeping mine as they were originally installed.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Swedge
Instructor

Capping them off is probably fine. I don't put any weight to the comments that Porsche later discovered this design was flawed. Until I see a genuine TSB stating otherwise, I am keeping mine as they were originally installed.
Just like anything on the Interwebz I'll try to find it substantiated before I make any 'design' changes. Thanks for the continued noobie help.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

...I guess there was a technical service bulletin recommending this (haven't located this yet.. but I think I'm on the right track.
.....Until I see a genuine TSB stating otherwise, I am keeping mine as they were originally installed.
FYI TSB

Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
FYI TSB

There we have it. That looks fairly official. My S2 has the closed-off feature. Never thought too much about it. I'll keep this in mind when I mess with the other ones.

Nice find.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

...Nice find.
yw,

Ive got every “Technik” bulletin for all the Porsche’s between 1982- 1992, some very interesting stuff in there. I find the Techniks more use than the workshop manuals in a lot of cases, below is just a few small scattering of my library. One day I’ll scan and pdf them but just the one Technik Bulletin below for one year (1986) is 245 pages.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Too busy to look - do those ever come up on ebay? pdfs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Took the 944 plunge