Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MegaSquirt

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:53 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default MegaSquirt

Ok hear another MS thread...
Question? For those using a Mega Squirt or any other stand alone.
What are you using Version, Model, Series?
Why that Version, Model, Series?
How is that Version, Model, Series working for you?
Any pointers or lessons learned?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:57 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...one-build.html
Old 04-02-2019, 09:36 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I've documented my Microsquirt installation on my 944 NA on here. For a NA, I find the Micro to be a great unit. Has more than enough features and you can't beat the value.

For my 951, I got a MS3Pro. It obviously supports a lot more and should be able to handle anything I throw at the car in the future.

I'm also working on a PnP standalone based around a Microsquirt Module for a testbed 944 my buddies and I are working on. It's a lot more work than a normal installation but the finished product is basically interchangeable with a DME, minus a few minor sensor changes under the hood.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:19 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Michael,

Along the lines of Dwizle's question, what would you say are the important features of the MS3Pro vs. the MicroSquirt for your 951 application?

For my fairly modest design, the MicroSquirt seems to be more than adequate. Of course that's pure speculation on my part, since I haven't finished building mine yet (which is why I didn't offer my opinion to Dwizle's questions).
Old 04-03-2019, 03:17 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw a guy selling a new in box MS3Pro for $800 including both harnesses on one those Facebook pages, suddenly I needed an MS3Pro

Otherwise I would probably go Micro again. The MS3Pro has a very impressive features list and can run the engine in full sequential. I'm also planning on utilizing some of extra I/O for more features down the road. As for the Micro on my NA, I've never thought "I wish I had gone for a higher tier standalone" because it already handles everything just fine. That MS3Pro was just a bargain deal and I decided to grab it.

I steered away from MS2/MS3/MS3X because the Microsquirt is such a good bargain and it already comes in a pre-assembled weatherproof case. To me, with our 4cyl engines, the Micro is the sweet spot.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:15 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a micro in my car and it seems to be a nice piece of equipment.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:53 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Will any of these run clean enough to pass emmission testing?

For a given generation/engine type, all 944s use the same DME, with the same 'tune'. Why is it each and every installation of an aftermarket EFI system needs to be tuned individually? If a tune works on one owner's 1983 NA, why wouldn't it work on everyone else's 1983 NA? Assuming stock engine configuration of course.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:35 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Ok hear another MS thread...
Question? For those using a Mega Squirt or any other stand alone.
What are you using Version, Model, Series?
Why that Version, Model, Series?
How is that Version, Model, Series working for you?
Any pointers or lessons learned?
I should have been the first poster lol since I asked the questions.
I own 3 nonstock ECUs a Focus 9 Technology, LLC DME a DIYAutoTune MS II and an MS III
The f9tech DME is the easiest plug n play basically the old DME with newer electronics so plug n play.
it will also support Hi-Z injectors so I have newer shower head type injectors installed for use with the megasquirt the f9tech DME was an afterthought after my stock DME died because of frayed injector
wires I had started down the megasquirt road when I came across it on rennlist. will support any mod or chip the stock DME will. They are developing an OBD board for this ECU. My only downside with it is I have the stock chip installed.
MS II started down this road when stock DME died. It is a Ver 3.0 board running ms2extra-pre3.4.3beta3 36-1 wheel off the crank, Saab injectors and a Volvo ISV 951 TPS 2 map sensors one for baro correction ford IAT and crank angle sensor and a HC-05 Bluetooth adapter internally for tuning it will even support flashing the firmware over BT. found the male half on the DME connector online so its plug n play except for running the wires for the IAT CAS TPS and ISV
The learning curve is steep
MS III built a second board when I thought I fried the original MS II board after figuring out I just fried the 5v regulator I bought a MS III daughter board running ms3-pre1.5.2beta 36-1 wheel off the crank, Saab injectors and a Volvo ISV 951 TPS 2 map sensors one for baro correction ford IAT and crank angle sensor, Will be adding the MS3X Expansion Card since this code can handle the stock speed and reference sensor set up without swapping to a S-2 flywheel. The board supports so many features if I can find a dead AFM to hollow out and just use the IAT inside of it, it will be a true plug n play. this thing can handle traction control drive by wire, nitrous and so much more.
The learning curve is twice as steep

Why 3 ECU's f9tech DME I keep because I still haven't mastered the tune on the MS and I live in CA so I have to Pass smog The MS II, I would Prob sell after I master the MS III
Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by tempest411
Will any of these run clean enough to pass emmission testing?

For a given generation/engine type, all 944s use the same DME, with the same 'tune'. Why is it each and every installation of an aftermarket EFI system needs to be tuned individually? If a tune works on one owner's 1983 NA, why wouldn't it work on everyone else's 1983 NA? Assuming stock engine configuration of course.
Yes, they would but that will take work and time on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer. $$$
the reason one person's tune won't work for everybody is that each car might be set up different, different injectors different coils intake
While I've used other peoples tunes to get the car started I still had to make changes to fit my car if they were all cookie cutter like the factory the yeah
Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

That's the biggest obstical for me. If I could get a tune that would be optimized for a box-stock configuration I'd strongly consider one of these. I've heard that the few dyno shops around here (S.F..Bay Area) won't touch anything that has plates on it (registered for street use). But realistically, if it passes the sniffer and looks stock you're fine come emissions testing.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Originally Posted by tempest411
That's the biggest obstical for me. If I could get a tune that would be optimized for a box-stock configuration I'd strongly consider one of these. I've heard that the few dyno shops around here (S.F..Bay Area) won't touch anything that has plates on it (registered for street use). But realistically, if it passes the sniffer and looks stock you're fine come emissions testing.
Like you I am in Cali so getting my ECU to pass the Smog test both visual and tailpipe is the ultimate goal..
So I've gotten the MS to run with the Stock AFM in place but not controlling anything that is the biggest restriction
hold this motor back just seat of the pants with MS and no AFM the car is stronger pulls harder even with my ****ty cobbled
together system.
The Focus 9 Technology, LLC DME might be a start for you It basically plug n play not sure the yr of your car but you need the newer AFM he takes a couple of parts out of your old DME
and send you back a Nice new shiny 2019 electronics DME I run mine with 90 Saab turbo injectors and a wideband that outputs the narrowband voltage and his solid state DME relay n fix any wiring issues you have under the Hood and it will be a solid start the first time car

Quick Reply: MegaSquirt