Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:10 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

BTW JChav997 if you want to sell that head unit let me know!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:53 PM
pointFive
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche 944's can certainly be used as daily drivers.

Like any other car, it just comes down to preventive maintenance and whether or not you have the knowledge (and time) to work on the car yourself...

Parts are expensive, however...

Costly repairs:
  • Timing Belt & Water Pump
    • Seals, o-rings, rollers
  • Clutch (if original - rubber center)
  • Motor mounts
Old 03-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I've been daily drivng ten years. The biggest issue is time: when something needs attention, you usually will need to order parts online. Guaranteed the car will be out for days or even weeks for big jobs. Forgot to order the exhaust ring? Add three days. And, you will "fix" more than you planned, often discovering as you go, meaning even more parts to order.

Alternate methods of transport must be available any time.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Thank you Van for getting me to start kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a 308 ten years ago myself! I know they're great cars, but I just couldn't subject one to daily driving duties, which is the only opportunity I have to drive anything.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 PM
badkarma308
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Watch out. Dealers NEVER price their cars at less than they're worth. Quite the opposite. If you think their asking price is less than this particular car is worth, then there is a good reason for it. Tread carefully.
I'd have to say dealers never price their cars at less than they PAID for them, though I don't disagree with your logic. If that dealer's prime mover is tan Camrys and mini SUV's, something like this is way outside their comfort zone and potentially brings a clientele they are not prepared, or interested in dealing with so they mark it up with a tidy profit over what they handed out in trade in hopes of moving it along quickly, especially with the odometer discrepancy. That certainly doesn't rule out the possibility they know someones already pulled the pin and cooked it off for a few seconds, but a problem like that is likely to be evident in a test drive.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by badkarma308
I'd have to say dealers never price their cars at less than they PAID for them, though I don't disagree with your logic. If that dealer's prime mover is tan Camrys and mini SUV's, something like this is way outside their comfort zone and potentially brings a clientele they are not prepared, or interested in dealing with so they mark it up with a tidy profit over what they handed out in trade in hopes of moving it along quickly, especially with the odometer discrepancy. That certainly doesn't rule out the possibility they know someones already pulled the pin and cooked it off for a few seconds, but a problem like that is likely to be evident in a test drive.
While not typical, it's not unknown for a dealer to take something like this in on trade.
They know only what they read on the 'value' sites.

In that case, the actual mileage (approx 100k) combined with the odo issue would make a normal dealer price it down some.

So they didn't give a whole lot on trade for it and are interested in making a typical profit off of it.

However, I tend to agree with the idea that 'if it was that great of a deal, it would be gone already' thoughts.

Depending on exactly where the ''to" & "from" are, 500 mile round trip can be done in a day and a half.

If it were me, I'd get more & better pics, and have a good conversation with the selling dealer. If it all sounded good, I'd take funds (can be done a variety of ways, cash is king, but has risks) and a trailer and plan on a hotel stay. A friend who knows cars well would be a really good idea. Look at it, maybe make an offer, go to the hotel and sleep on it. Be willing to walk away if needed (that can be the hardest part).
Old 03-30-2019, 06:53 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I looked at that car and they seemed to have no idea when the timing belt and water pump or if the clutch had been changed. Might want to do the belt to be safe.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:31 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looks good to me

I would agree with poster above that this has the look of a 150 to 160k mileage car. But with that said it should last you a good long while

Also agree you will need at minimum

1) belts rollers waterpump seals fluids changed
$2000 easy if you have it done or 800.00 and weeks of waiting for the right washer or screw cuz one of them busted while you were changing things out
2) clutch most likely on its way out even 2nd clutch may be about done at that mileage
$3000.00 to have it done right or $1000.00+ to do it yourself. Again remove every part from under the car for about a week, pop in rear seal flywheel clutch and anything else worn out and put it all back together for a week. I think I spent half a day just jacking the car up high enough in my garage so I could move under it properly without worries of it crashing down on me for weeks.

Now you are about halfway to a full restore on the car

3) front struts and Control arms and rear shocks just for the parts 1000.00
Not necessary immediately but on a neglected car it will start to drive you nuts as a daily driver with all the bouncing and bumping

4) other issues on turbo are AOS and Turbo itself having issues. No idea what that may cost ~ 1000.00

5) other issues can be small like electrical gremlins that creep into a 30 year old car. Not hard to fix but get an electricians degree along the way to make it easier. Or call your dad neighbor or uncle who has electrical experience for help here

At this point you should have a strong long lasting car for about 5 years or 50K

After all that the car will never resell because of odometer issues. I would keep looking unless you can verify more history on the car and decide if you want to keep it Forever.

Details details. Best of luck

Quick Reply: First time 944