Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt in roll bar....how?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default bolt in roll bar....how?

Hi everyone,

I see that the better bolt in roll bars are mounted on the top of the sills, the flats just below the rear speakers. As far as I can tell, that's an area that you can't get access in behind. How do you get reinforcing plates and nuts on the bolts? Am I missing something??

Thanks,
Gord.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

On my car, what he did was he made a plate the desired size and bolted it to the bar. He then welded the nuts to the bottom of the plate. Put the bar in the car, marked where the bolt holes were. Then drilled holes in the rocker, and welded the plate to the top of the rocker, all the way around. Bingo, bolt in, removable roll bar, but backing plates firmly attached to the car.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 AM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Kurt,

Got it! Kind of like a weld in / bolt in bar.

Gord.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

If you're just looking to add harnesses to get to the track or auto X course occasionally then IMO the best bolt in bar is the Redline Harness bar. I'm pretty sure they are no longer available but come up for sale used every now and again.
It's a four point bolt in using the rear seat belt points and made from tube stock steel. Very sturdy, works great. If you're going racing then not so much.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:45 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a Heigo bolt-in bar, that's another option. It's like the redline, no drilling required, mounts to rear seat belt points.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Had not seen the Heigo bars before, looks like a good option and possibly available.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
Had not seen the Heigo bars before, looks like a good option and possibly available.
Theres a bunch of these harness bars available and they all seem to bolt to the seat belt points, however they cannot be considered in any way as roll bars as they provide zero protection in a roll. I think the ones with a pseudo looking roll bar up top could provide a false sense of security to some folk, personally I think that top hoop is danagerous. First thing that would happen in a roll is the top hoop will break the seat belt bolts and take you and your harness with it.

If it’s just de or auto-x I suppose they are fine but I’d still get a real roll bar for peace of mind if I’m on a track. This is the harness bar I have on my road car, it came with the car and I don’t know the make, however it attaches to 4 seat belt points like they all do but it doesn’t have a top hoop. I don’t have harnesses in this car or ever take it to the track, I’ve just not got around to removing it...lazy

Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
On my car, what he did was he made a plate the desired size and bolted it to the bar. He then welded the nuts to the bottom of the plate. Put the bar in the car, marked where the bolt holes were. Then drilled holes in the rocker, and welded the plate to the top of the rocker, all the way around. Bingo, bolt in, removable roll bar, but backing plates firmly attached to the car.
I did the same thing with my 911 when i tracked it for 7-8 years , everything was removeable and reversible !
Now it's back to street duty and with all the carpets and interior trim back in place , you would never know .
Old 03-19-2019, 11:50 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944

Theres a bunch of these harness bars available and they all seem to bolt to the seat belt points, however they cannot be considered in any way as roll bars as they provide zero protection in a roll. I think the ones with a pseudo looking roll bar up top could provide a false sense of security to some folk, personally I think that top hoop is danagerous. First thing that would happen in a roll is the top hoop will break the seat belt bolts and take you and your harness with it.

If it’s just de or auto-x I suppose they are fine but I’d still get a real roll bar for peace of mind if I’m on a track. This is the harness bar I have on my road car, it came with the car and I don’t know the make, however it attaches to 4 seat belt points like they all do but it doesn’t have a top hoop. I don’t have harnesses in this car or ever take it to the track, I’ve just not got around to removing it...lazy
It's a harness bar. And with harnesses offers far better support in my seat than the stock three point belts do, which is why i bought them.
Since i don't get to the track often enough I'm far more likely to roll my car on county roads and ditches but that never played a part in my decision making process.
Works for me. I wouldn't use yours either.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mj951
It's a harness bar. And with harnesses offers far better support in my seat than the stock three point belts do, which is why i bought them.
Since i don't get to the track often enough I'm far more likely to roll my car on county roads and ditches but that never played a part in my decision making process.
Works for me. I wouldn't use yours either.
Lol I wasn’t being critical of your choice, just pointing out the issues of a top hoop on a harness bar, if it works for you that’s fine. Btw I’ve never used mine either.

I would have never thought of welding plates in to attach a bolt-in roll bar, ingenious, I’ve learnt something on this thread thank you!
Old 03-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944

I have one of the Redline Bars, and the only thing I'll point out is it mounts to the rear seat belt mounting points, not the front like the one pictured. It renders the rear seat useless but it was from the factory. The bar may not protect me in a roll over, but I'm not worried about it ripping my seat belt off.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Brockoli
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built my own for less than $100 of materials and spray paint....welder not included. It bolts into the rear seat belt mounts like the Heigo. I made sure I could still open the sunroof when installed too.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Already explained by KurtR, but this is what the weld in plate looks like for a safety devices cage, it has 6 bolts instead of four like the one in the OP pic.

Quick Reply: bolt in roll bar....how?