Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 944 and wanting a fun project to modify

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM
tyler corder
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 944 and wanting a fun project to modify

Hi there,I'm an apprentice mechanic and I'm looking to buy a project car,I've selected the Porsche 944 as my choice based on looks,their racing pedigree in my area in junior and scca races at my home track (laguna seca) and reccomendations from friends, I'm planning on buying an 85 944 base model, manual, with 96k miles and no problems or dents as of right now but has had some small problems that were fixed by an ase certified master tech with 30+ years of experience and I was wondering where to start with modding,I've been looking at short throw linkage and shift levers and exhausts, intake manifolds clutch and flywheels,coil overs and NA tune and tune up kits mainly off Lindsey racing,but I still thought it would be good to ask the forums for tips and what I can expect to run into. Sorry for the drawn out long post, thanks for any help you guys can give me
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good car. There's not much easy power to get out of an NA, but I think they're satisfyingly strong motors stock. I mean you're not going impress your friends with acceleration, but you probably know that. Focus on suspension, good brake pads and some sticky tires and the car will a blast on the street and track. I have Paragon front coilovers with Konis all around with bigger rear torsion bars on my turbo and with R-compound tires and Hawk pads, it is an absolute thrill to drive. Have fun!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

These are interesting cars to be sure, but I'm not sure why anyone would put them on the track. At this price point a Camaro, Mustang, or Charger would make a lot more sense. Far more plentiful and easy to get parts for. And if you total it, so what? It's not like a Porsche that's been out of production for over 30 years...
Old 03-11-2019, 09:11 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
These are interesting cars to be sure, but I'm not sure why anyone would put them on the track. At this price point a Camaro, Mustang, or Charger would make a lot more sense. Far more plentiful and easy to get parts for. And if you total it, so what? It's not like a Porsche that's been out of production for over 30 years...
I disagree, these are absolutely great track cars even in relatively stock (spec) form. Balanced handling from the outset and it don’t take much to make them even better. Plus it’s more fun and productive for a junior/apprentice to learn by driving a slow balanced car fast than an unbalanced fast car around the twisties.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:01 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Leave the car alone - invest in seat time at the track. Get coaching. Get data. These will make you faster, and that's how you'll impress your friends and get the ladies.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

P.s. once you have the experience to know where your performance is lacking, then you won't need to ask us what to upgrade, you'll already know for yourself.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
Just the opposite, actually. The 944's balance and handling make it an absolutely superb track car. That's why they're so popular as track beasts. Brakes too, especially on a turbo. Camaro, Mustang and Charger brakes are a joke, and the cars handle like pigs. They're great Saturday night boulevard cruisers, but that's about all they do well.

I tracked 911's for 8 years and never got any ladies.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:45 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally agree with the previous posters on every point made EXCEPT those by tempest411.

I have had great fun on track with my 944s. They ARE very well balanced and exhilarating to drive well, using braking, balance, and momentum to create grins from ear to ear.

If one appreciates what the MINI of old could do against higher h.p. cars on track, one can surely understand and appreciate what the 944 N/A is capable of. When these cars were new they ran against Mustangs and Camaros in various race classes and did very well.

Take a good Drivers School ( PCA has some great instructors ) and learn these cars with what they were built with. After successfully attaining your goals and now feeling the need for more, then and only then begin the process of tuning car and driver into harmony with perfect brake points and apexes.

Make your upgrades slowly : Tires and suspension. Great brake upgrades in pads and kits for tremendous stopping potential. Get a good baseline in which to be confident of car and driver's abilities .........then the changes can be fully appreciated.

Best wishes on the purchase of a 944. As a lifelong fan of the model, you cannot go wrong with these sports cars.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:59 AM
tyler corder
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 968to986
Sounds like a pretty good car. There's not much easy power to get out of an NA, but I think they're satisfyingly strong motors stock. I mean you're not going impress your friends with acceleration, but you probably know that. Focus on suspension, good brake pads and some sticky tires and the car will a blast on the street and track. I have Paragon front coilovers with Konis all around with bigger rear torsion bars on my turbo and with R-compound tires and Hawk pads, it is an absolute thrill to drive. Have fun!

thanks so much, I found more expensive coilovers kits but as a 17 year old looking to save money the paragon kit is half as expensive as the other kit I was looking at,and I already had hawk pads and new sway bars bookmarked, what tires would you recommend? I'm pretty sure the car has the stock wheels on it, they're gold spiked with silver rims and look like two piece wheels, and the look to be around 16x6 or whatever the stock size is,I'm not sure
Old 03-12-2019, 04:05 AM
tyler corder
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
I totally agree with the previous posters on every point made EXCEPT those by tempest411.

I have had great fun on track with my 944s. They ARE very well balanced and exhilarating to drive well, using braking, balance, and momentum to create grins from ear to ear.

If one appreciates what the MINI of old could do against higher h.p. cars on track, one can surely understand and appreciate what the 944 N/A is capable of. When these cars were new they ran against Mustangs and Camaros in various race classes and did very well.

Take a good Drivers School ( PCA has some great instructors ) and learn these cars with what they were built with. After successfully attaining your goals and now feeling the need for more, then and only then begin the process of tuning car and driver into harmony with perfect brake points and apexes.

Make your upgrades slowly : Tires and suspension. Great brake upgrades in pads and kits for tremendous stopping potential. Get a good baseline in which to be confident of car and driver's abilities .........then the changes can be fully appreciated.

Best wishes on the purchase of a 944. As a lifelong fan of the model, you cannot go wrong with these sports cars.
im planning on upgrading the car slowly to fit with my budget and also save money, I'm pretty natural at driving and I'm pretty good at it compared to most people at my high school,my friends and family, my dad has 40+ years of sports car and track experience and he's been teaching me how to car and also drive as well as my auto tech teacher. Thanks for the response, I really appreciate all the feedback on my post.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 AM
tyler corder
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Van
Leave the car alone - invest in seat time at the track. Get coaching. Get data. These will make you faster, and that's how you'll impress your friends and get the ladies.
right now I'm looking for a car I can keep for a long time,but also modify and put time into, I'm being taught performance driving by my father who learned at bob bondurants racing school and has over 40 years of sports car and performance driving experience, and I'm stepping into this 944 from about a year or so of hooning around in a miata. Thanks for the response,I really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:50 AM
chrsvo
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd start out by swapping all the rubber bushings of the suspension, including the infamous rear axle strut.
Also engine and gearbox mounts.
Before going coilover etc.
That job will keep you busy a couple of weeks or months if you clean everything properly, change fuel filter while you're down there, replace brake lines, overhaul brake pistons, park brake etc.

If you want to go with original parts (about 2000$ total iirc) or creaky Powerflex or rattling uniball/solid depends on how you use the car.
I went with original parts because in seven years I've only driven public roads despite always wanting to track/autocross it.

Once you got it there - all bushings replaced, all new screws, brakes bled, new lines etc. you check when timing/balancing belts have been changed.
If that's more than seven years ago, do that, and replace all moving parts afflicted including waterpump, that's another 500ish$ in parts.

then upgrade springs and maybe brakes and then go to the track.

My car is from '87 and all those parts were so, so knackered, the car feels completely different after the above fixes.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I tracked 911's for 8 years and never got any ladies.
You're doing it wrong.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

but....
she doesn't look too happy Van.

Maybe she would rather be in the rear hatch of a 944 / 951 / 968
Old 03-12-2019, 02:28 PM
tyler corder
8th Gear

Originally Posted by chrsvo
I'd start out by swapping all the rubber bushings of the suspension, including the infamous rear axle strut.
Also engine and gearbox mounts.
Before going coilover etc.
That job will keep you busy a couple of weeks or months if you clean everything properly, change fuel filter while you're down there, replace brake lines, overhaul brake pistons, park brake etc.

If you want to go with original parts (about 2000$ total iirc) or creaky Powerflex or rattling uniball/solid depends on how you use the car.
I went with original parts because in seven years I've only driven public roads despite always wanting to track/autocross it.

Once you got it there - all bushings replaced, all new screws, brakes bled, new lines etc. you check when timing/balancing belts have been changed.
If that's more than seven years ago, do that, and replace all moving parts afflicted including waterpump, that's another 500ish$ in parts.

then upgrade springs and maybe brakes and then go to the track.

My car is from '87 and all those parts were so, so knackered, the car feels completely different after the above fixes.
on the car I'm looking at all the bushings don't urgently need to be replaced,but I am thinking about doing all the bushings when I'm putting in the coilovers and new swaybars just to get it all done, and I'm planning on doing basic matinance like fluids and brakes and stuff already, do you know what bushings I'll need and where to find them? That would be extremely helpful, thanks for the response.

Quick Reply: Buying a 944 and wanting a fun project to modify