Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Turbo S sold for $61,000 on BAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1988 Turbo S sold for $61,000 on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...44-turbo-s-15/
Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And it isn't perfect either...needs a belt service among other things. It's too nice to drive, and it'll lose a lot of value if the miles go on. There are S's out there that are almost as nice in the 50-60k mile range for half the price. It looks like there were 2 or 3 bidders with deep pockets who just had to have THAT one.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:22 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On a car like this how much should you drive it just to keep it in good health?

Last recorded maintenance was 2007 and prior to that 1992. Wouldn’t it be considered neglect not to keep the timing belt etc maintained?
Old 03-09-2019, 06:08 PM
lfisher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
And it isn't perfect either...needs a belt service among other things. It's too nice to drive, and it'll lose a lot of value if the miles go on. There are S's out there that are almost as nice in the 50-60k mile range for half the price. It looks like there were 2 or 3 bidders with deep pockets who just had to have THAT one.
The rear hatch glass is starting to separate as well.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:25 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Wouldn’t it be considered neglect not to keep the timing belt etc maintained?
Only if you plan on starting it. I really don't understand what people do with these things if they don't plan on driving them, stare at them I guess?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Rub them with a diaper.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Only if you plan on starting it. I really don't understand what people do with these things if they don't plan on driving them, stare at them I guess?
I saw a 1988 Turbo at Amelia yesterday, from the Brumos Collection iirc. Sub 20k miles, flawless...it was pretty awesome to stare at. But how the heck you could not drive it I don't know.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:56 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some folks avoid placing a lot of miles on their most pristine car, by driving a somewhat lesser in quality car picked up for a pittance. The experience can be the same but is not loading non essential miles onto a vehicle they wish to preserve.

I am going to hazard a guess the buyer of this white turbo plans on doing the same; use the car sparingly and show it's beauty in Porsche Club shows or concouring events. There IS something to be said for keeping the originality of paint, leather, engine bay, and suspension free from the daily grind and allowing admirers the joy of seeing something fresh as the day it was built.

The vast majority of our cars are painted once or several times and have far more miles than what this great turbo has. They show corrosion, wear and tear, and have suffered the misuses of prior owner's drives. I would much rather admire a survivor than the vast majority of those which have been used and sometimes abused daily. There IS a place in the world for both the used car and the preserved.

They really are only original once .........
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Some folks avoid placing a lot of miles on their most pristine car, by driving a somewhat lesser in quality car picked up for a pittance. The experience can be the same but is not loading non essential miles onto a vehicle they wish to preserve.

I am going to hazard a guess the buyer of this white turbo plans on doing the same; use the car sparingly and show it's beauty in Porsche Club shows or concouring events. There IS something to be said for keeping the originality of paint, leather, engine bay, and suspension free from the daily grind and allowing admirers the joy of seeing something fresh as the day it was built.

The vast majority of our cars are painted once or several times and have far more miles than what this great turbo has. They show corrosion, wear and tear, and have suffered the misuses of prior owner's drives. I would much rather admire a survivor than the vast majority of those which have been used and sometimes abused daily. There IS a place in the world for both the used car and the preserved.

Amen to that! I enjoy driving mine daily, and it shows the effects of doing that for over 30 years. At some point, it would be fun to send it back to Stuttgart for a full factory refresh. Not cost effetive, but that wouldn't be the reason for doing it. More just to honor all the fun that the car has provided me over the years and not just run it into the ground.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:18 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My My
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

As usual, very well said!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

With the shortage of really great, really spectacular 944 based models, we are experiencing some pricing values exceeding what they sold for new ( but in most cases not exceeding the adjusted value due to time and inflation. )
There are exceptions tho, and this beauty doesn't go too far off the chart of perfection. It would take hours and hours of cleaning and addressing the small flaws to bring it there, but it could then compete as a Survivor and not as a restored vehicle.

With 944 normals showing very low mileage bringing half this amount ( and I know of at least 4 in the past several years ), it isn't too surprising the very desired '88.2 and '89 turbos hitting this dollar value.

They just are NOT making them any more...... and they were produced in quite low numbers comparatively speaking, when new.

Ben, Thank you for the kind words

Old 03-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

All you fools turning them in to chebys keep making mine worth more. ;-p

But for real, we've hit the point were well maintained ones are harder to find. Figure a majority of the cars are either crushed, ratty, or race cars already. It was always destiny for the prices to start going back up. The car itself was/is relatively cheap but the parts/maintenance are expensive, it's a recipe for neglect and every year more and more cars are 'beyond repair.'

Side note, How much does chassis mileage really matter? Maybe Singer isn't the best example because they go so far, but I'd rather have a chassis with a lot of miles and everything 'new' than I would a 30yr old ride with 50k miles. I think I could build a hell of a 944 for ~61k in parts.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

28k mile Silver rose sold for $60,500 on BAT https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...44-turbo-s-16/

Quick Reply: 1988 Turbo S sold for $61,000 on BAT