For those running a square setup, how do you like it? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 924/931/944/951/968 Forum
Reload this Page >

For those running a square setup, how do you like it?

Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those running a square setup, how do you like it?

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
AkechiMotors
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy View Post
Imho the 50/50 weight distribution really lends itself to a square tyre setup. If you are building a high power car then get yourself at least 9" wide wheels all round. Personally I run 265/35r18 semi slicks all round and really like it.... enough rear grip for putting the power down out of corners, and enough front grip to put the big reds to good use while braking. Thinking of moving to some 17 inch slicks for track work this year though.
You can get a 9" tire up front? Do you have to roll the fender?
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
StoogeMoe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this for the track or the street? Do you have a turbo or NA? For an NA at the track, you want the lightest wheel possible. I ran 7x15 cookie cutters all around on my NA. A stock 944 understeers and rolls pretty badly. I corrected this with springs, torsion bars, and sway bars. It was then possible to dial in a very nice balance and fun car. It was not necessary to run a staggered setup. This is not desirable at the track because you want to be able to move tires around to maximize the life of the tires due to uneven wear.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic View Post
What might be the reason Porsche went with the staggered setup? Was it a marketing thing?
Everything I read over the last 20 years, some articles contemporaneous with the release of the car (S2 89) said they are staggered in the US because US drivers suck. We cant control the car, so they killed the perfectly neutral handling and staggered the wheels so we get understeer. If we didn't have understeer we would break the law of physics.

Note that the widowmaker lawsuits were in full swing at this time. What was the HP of the first 930? What's the HP of the 951? The company as a car maker was on the brink of insolvency every day with those lawsuits hanging over their head.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R. View Post
Everything I read over the last 20 years, some articles contemporaneous with the release of the car (S2 89) said they are staggered in the US because US drivers suck. We cant control the car, so they killed the perfectly neutral handling and staggered the wheels so we get understeer. If we didn't have understeer we would break the law of physics.

Note that the widowmaker lawsuits were in full swing at this time. What was the HP of the first 930? What's the HP of the 951? The company as a car maker was on the brink of insolvency every day with those lawsuits hanging over their head.
951s were square setup as delivered in Europe?

And if lawyers have anything to do with performance limits on expensive sports cars, that would be quite ironic as I'm sure many of them go to court to make the money to buy those very cars....

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: