Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my heat so cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:07 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Question Why is my heat so cold?

This is on my 83. When the temperature outside is above 40, the heater is sufficient. But when it gets below that, the inside of the car is so cold. Turning on the fan works for about 5 seconds, and then the air coming out turns cold. So I leave the fan off. It's seems like it is getting too much fresh air from the outside.

Is there any way to control the amount of fresh air coming in? The levers on the control panel only seem to direct the air to the foot area or to the windshield. The temperature slider is on full heat.

Is this normal for the early cars or is something clogged?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

might have a clogged core, or the heater valve might have some kind of blockage?
even low coolant level (air pockets) can make a heater core not work great.

mine will light your toes on fire, it's very good.

tip to improve cold weather engine and cabin warm-up...remove the heat shield separating the "heater return tube" from the exhaust manifolds.
the manifolds radiate HOT HEAT which gets picked up by that tube, which carries that warmer water to the water pump for recirculation into the block and eventually heater core.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Two other facts to consider:

If there has been old coolant left to gather very high voltage within the water/antifreeze mix ( should be 50-50 ), you may need to check to see if corrosion has occurred with aluminum flakes blocking the heater core. Which actually acts as a sort of 'filter' trapping those small flakes which shed from the cooling passages.

Testing the actual amount of stray voltage within the coolant can be done with your probe. I forget what the readings should be, but talking with a tech or referencing this on Clark's Garage will give you the parameters. When the voltage is too high and the coolant has become too old to remain neutral, the charge within helps promote a flaking off of aluminum surfaces within the water jacket. One of the reasons Porsche recommends a coolant change at minimum of every two years, using a phosphate free, safe for aluminum antifreeze endorsed by Porsche.

The second thing to consider is the water pump's effectiveness and the thermostat's correct temp. control, with proper timing of opening and closing. When either of these begins to show their age and yes, 'wear-out', you will not have the correct holding of the temps within their optimum heating and cooling ranges. You did not mention what your gauge is reading. Even in winter, the temp gauge should read very close to the center line. These cars have tremendous heaters in them and have been known to produce some of the best heat among all older, vintage Porsches. When new, many 911 owners saved their precious air coolers and bought 944s to actually produce some heat for their winter duty, thus saving the metal from the rust worm at the expense of their water cooled brothers. I remember many within the local area driving their 944 all year around and their 911s sat in the garage with a cover on them. None of these looked very good after about 7 or 8 years of salt immersion and doing battle with others sliding into them.
Kind of sad really.

Anyway, check those two items. Along with your heater control valve near the firewall, and the slider actuation on the cabin side under the dash and behind the console.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Coolant is definitely bled and engine cooling is working perfectly normal.

Ok did some diagnosing after getting home tonight. Measured hoses with infrared thermometer.

Upper radiator hose 165
Heater hose in 156
Heater hose out 134

So that implies that the flow is impeded. I checked the heater control valve and it wasn't quite open all the way. I adjusted that and will try again tomorrow to see if that improves things. That's if it doesn't snow.

I always use 50/50 phosphate and silicate free coolant with distilled water without exception since rebuilding the engine with new radiator. I cannot speak for previous owners, who may have clogged the heater core. I didn't do anything to that during the rebuild.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The heater control valve (#35,at the firewall) has plastic that rots. This is off of the PET for the 924S.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:34 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Today was a good test. This morning was 21 degrees.

Getting the valve to open just a bit more did the trick. It is now somewhat toasty, but doesn't lite my toes on fire. The vent at the foot well doesn't flow as well as the center vents. I might just leave it as it is. I don't see a way from that pic how to open it up and clean it out.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:12 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Today was a good test. This morning was 21 degrees.

Getting the valve to open just a bit more did the trick. It is now somewhat toasty, but doesn't lite my toes on fire. The vent at the foot well doesn't flow as well as the center vents. I might just leave it as it is. I don't see a way from that pic how to open it up and clean it out.
You don't really - it is a replace type operation. Like Swenny said, it's 30+ year old plastic that breaks down.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

did you reach behind the intake and manually open the valve fully?

if you pull the intake it's really not that hard to do and the valve is cheap to replace if needed.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:03 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Valve is relatively new. Replaced it when I rebuilt the engine 12 years ago.

No need to pull the intake to replace it. Although I remember it being quite annoying.

I want to know if there's any way to clean the air box where the core lives. Maybe shoot compressed air up that footwell hole?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

are your dash vents fully open or are they set to the "defrost" (closed) position?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Flush your heater core.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
are your dash vents fully open or are they set to the "defrost" (closed) position?
Umm, they are open. Including the side ones. I guess it would help to direct flow to the feet if I close them. Or at least half close them.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

And both top sliders are to the left.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:21 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charlie
BACK-Flush your heater core.
FIFY

get some barb unions and some extra hose length...put the "in" hose (from cylinder head) pointing to a bucket, and hook the "out" hose (to water pump) to your garden hose and let it push water the opposite direction of normal function...you wont believe the rust and **** that comes out into the bucket.

works great on radiators too when you have them out.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^

THIS ^^^^^

Just be careful with the amount of pressure or you may be separating seams on whatever radiator core ( either heater or radiator itself ) you are flushing.

The leaks will show up later if you push it too far with pressure, right about the time the new coolant starts to show up on your carpeting or mists up your windows......
and it all becomes a 'do-over'

Quick Reply: Why is my heat so cold?