Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Quinton Carlson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 owner

I recently purchased a 1984 944. This is my first Porsche and I intend to do a full project car here. First project is to yank the motor and rebuild completely. So I have a few questions.
1. I've rebuiltrebuirous SBCs ( over 100 for marine applications) is there anything special I will need or need to know about these engines?
2. How difficult and what do I need to do to add a turbo.
3. I have a very complete set of tools as i used to own a repair shop. Will I need and special or specific tools?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase. I own several '84s ( all M 456 cars, one a Weissach prepped ) and can vouch for the fact they are tremendous, well built sportscars.

But, they are not without their specific issues.

It is an all aluminum, 2.5 liter engine. They are susceptible to water pump and t-belt maintenance failure if not maintained by the book and are also interference engines. If the belt breaks or skips a few cogs, you have piston and valve introduction. The model range came with manual or auto, and the best is by far the stick for power, maint., and sporting enjoyment. The transaxle is sometimes equipped with option 220, the LSD or limited slip diff. which is highly coveted and getting hard to source used and expensive.

There are a few specific tools used by Porsche to work on these engines. Also aftermarket branded tools which many use because of cost and availability. Water pump replacement and t-belt tensioning are aided by these tools. They are not quite as simple to attend to as a SBC, and require a different thought process and order to their genuine German 'simplicities'.

Reference here, on Pelican, on 944 Online, and on Clark's Garage the myriad forum topics relating to all the issues and problem solving of these model specific engines used in the various 924, 944, 951, 928, and 968 engines. All are interrelated in some way, shape, or form and share various componentry.

As to the adding a turbo into the mix, there are countless numbers of problems in this scenario, and forum topics abound answering or trying to answer this question.

Most have found the simplest and BEST way to address this 'turboing an N/A' is to buy one of these 951 cars, built from '86 till introduction of the 968. As with all Porsches, the last and best of this model may be found at the end of it's model range: the '88.2 turbo S and '89 turbo. They are the highest development of horsepower, torque, included options, and slight differences in development, and a much different car from the first built in late '85 and '86. I would start there if desiring a turbo 944 or model 951.

The N/A is a great car in it's original package and known as a momentum car. It has it's own merits which once experienced on street, mtn. road, or track is addictive in it's own way.
I own some of each of these. I love the fact they are all different in similar yet very astounding ways. My advice is to read as much as possible by googling these pages mentioned above and find out how those questions have been resolved by others. If nothing else, it's a great way to educate oneself on these tremendous sports cars.
Best wishes.....
Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Quinton Carlson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Congratulations on the purchase. I own several '84s ( all M 456 cars, one a Weissach prepped ) and can vouch for the fact they are tremendous, well built sportscars.
But, they are not without their specific issues.
It is an all aluminum engine. They are susceptible to water pump and t-belt maintenance failure of not maintained by the book and are interference engines. The belt breaks or skips a few cogs and you have piston and valve introduction.

There are a few specific tools used by Porsche to work on these engines. Also aftermarket branded tools which many use because of cost and availability.
Reference here, on Pelican, on 944 Online, and on Clark's Garage the myriad of forum topics relating to all the issues and problem solving of these model specific engines used in the various 924, 944, 951, 928, and 968 engines. All are interrelated in some way, shape, or form and share various componentry.

As to the adding a turbo into the mix, there are countless numbers of problems in this scenario, and forum topics abound answering or trying to answer this question.
Most have found the simplest and BEST way to address this 'turboing an N/A' is to buy one of these 951 cars, built from '86 till introduction of the 968. As with all Porsches, the last and best of this model may be found at the end of it's model range: the '88.2 turbo S and '89 turbo. Highest development of horsepower, torque, included options, and slight differences in development and a much different car from the first built in late '85 and '86. I would start there if desiring a turbo 944 or model 951.
The N/A is a great car in it's original package and known as a momentum car. It has it's own merits which once experienced on street, mtn. road, or track is addictive in it's own way.
I own some of each of these. I love the fact they are all different in similar yet very astounding ways. My advice is to read as much as possible by googling these pages mentioned above and find out how those questions have been resolved by others. If nothing else, it's a great way to educate oneself on these tremendous sports cars.
Best wishes.....
thank you for the suggestions.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I find the articles on this site full of great rebuilding info for these cars: https://newhillgarage.com/porsche-94...ical-articles/

I am no mechanic yet I've been able to work on my car successfully and with a minimum of special tools. A good source for the few tools you'll need is http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/ well made, good prices, and only what's necessary. No affiliation; just a happy customer.

I'm sure you have metric tools with a large variety of socket depths & drives. Perhaps the only unusual thing is the need to creatively unfasten rust-seized fasteners (ie. drill, torch) and other age-related stuff. Once rebuilt, a cheap Chinese oscilliscope will be handy for confirming the engine management pieces.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: New 944 owner